Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109423
View in linear mode

Subject: "Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!" Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinMay-29-12 06:42 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109423, "Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"

Well... after a few weeks of fun, the turbo kit is finally all installed. For now, I'm running without any exhaust. Engine turned over and started up but idles a bit rough. It'll stay running fine but it backfiring pretty badly out out the exhaust (which is just the turbo at the moment).

Idle fuel pressure is about 50 psi using Vortech 12:1 FMU with stock injectors right now.

Adjustable cam gears are both at the 0 mark.

Head is stock, bottom end is 8.8:1 compression.

Hmm... now that I think about it, I don't have any o2 sensors connected (since I don't have the exhaust on yet). Would that cause the problem? I pretty new to this, but any advice/info would be great. I can throw the downpipe and stock o2 sensor on it if need be.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, JoshDSM, May-29-12 06:45 PM, #1
RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, Sorry_i_Win, May-30-12 12:44 PM, #2
      RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, Sorry_i_Win, May-30-12 06:55 PM, #3
           RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, Sorry_i_Win, Jun-11-12 11:37 AM, #4
                RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, eclipse420ags, Jun-11-12 12:25 PM, #5
                     RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, Sorry_i_Win, Jun-12-12 07:42 AM, #6
                          RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!, eclipse420ags, Jun-12-12 11:06 AM, #7

JoshDSMMay-29-12 06:45 PM
Member since Aug 29th 2010
69 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109424, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 0

You are correct it is idling rough because there is no front 02 sensor.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Sorry_i_WinMay-30-12 12:44 PM
1910 posts,
#109428, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the response. I'll throw the down pipe on tonight and connect up the o2 sensor to see if that changes anything.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Sorry_i_WinMay-30-12 06:55 PM
1910 posts,
#109432, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 2

That was indeed the issue. Seems to idle pretty decent now and no more backfiring. Now to get all the damn gauges installed and electronic stuff in place.

Sorry_i_WinJun-11-12 11:37 AM
1910 posts,
#109440, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 3

It runs better now, but I'm wondering if I'm getting fuel cut or something. Once I hit around 4000 rpms and it should be building boost, the car like dies... seems like it bogs down bad and has no power. I'm still in the process of getting things hooked up and even after adding a 3-wire FCD, which seemed to make no difference, it's still doing this. Any thoughts?

eclipse420agsJun-11-12 12:25 PM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
#109441, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 4

sounds like bad boost leak.

Sorry_i_WinJun-12-12 07:42 AM
1910 posts,
#109446, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by eclipse420ags
sounds like bad boost leak.

Hmm.. could be. Didn't really think about that. I still need to get the boost gauge connected properly. For testing purposes, I tried connecting it T'd into the line going from the wastegate to the compressor housing but it didn't seem like I was building boost just revving in neutral. Should I be able to see anything on the boost gauge revving to about 4-5000 rpm in neutral? Maybe I don't have something connected properly? I was a little confused about some of the boost lines.

eclipse420agsJun-12-12 11:06 AM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
#109448, "RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!"
In response to Reply # 6

If there is no load on your engine there is no boost just vacuum. Take it down the street see if its holding.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109423 Previous topic | Next topic