Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectGot turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=109423
109423, Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Posted by Sorry_i_Win, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well... after a few weeks of fun, the turbo kit is finally all installed. For now, I'm running without any exhaust. Engine turned over and started up but idles a bit rough. It'll stay running fine but it backfiring pretty badly out out the exhaust (which is just the turbo at the moment).

Idle fuel pressure is about 50 psi using Vortech 12:1 FMU with stock injectors right now.

Adjustable cam gears are both at the 0 mark.

Head is stock, bottom end is 8.8:1 compression.

Hmm... now that I think about it, I don't have any o2 sensors connected (since I don't have the exhaust on yet). Would that cause the problem? I pretty new to this, but any advice/info would be great. I can throw the downpipe and stock o2 sensor on it if need be.
109424, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Posted by JoshDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You are correct it is idling rough because there is no front 02 sensor.
109428, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Thanks for the response. I'll throw the down pipe on tonight and connect up the o2 sensor to see if that changes anything.
109432, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
That was indeed the issue. Seems to idle pretty decent now and no more backfiring. Now to get all the damn gauges installed and electronic stuff in place.
109440, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
It runs better now, but I'm wondering if I'm getting fuel cut or something. Once I hit around 4000 rpms and it should be building boost, the car like dies... seems like it bogs down bad and has no power. I'm still in the process of getting things hooked up and even after adding a 3-wire FCD, which seemed to make no difference, it's still doing this. Any thoughts?
109441, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Posted by eclipse420ags, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sounds like bad boost leak.
109446, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Originally posted by eclipse420ags
sounds like bad boost leak.

Hmm.. could be. Didn't really think about that. I still need to get the boost gauge connected properly. For testing purposes, I tried connecting it T'd into the line going from the wastegate to the compressor housing but it didn't seem like I was building boost just revving in neutral. Should I be able to see anything on the boost gauge revving to about 4-5000 rpm in neutral? Maybe I don't have something connected properly? I was a little confused about some of the boost lines.
109448, RE: Got turbo kit installed, fired up, backfiring out the turbo/dp bad!
Posted by eclipse420ags, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If there is no load on your engine there is no boost just vacuum. Take it down the street see if its holding.
I generated this page in 0.0095231533050537 seconds, executing 7 queries.