Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100583
View in linear mode

Subject: "Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment" Previous topic | Next topic
.bs0dJun-25-07 03:25 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100583, "Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"

Hey guys, im up to the point to have my downpipe fabricated. My turbo on the manifold is facing the opposite direction than "normal" so the downpipe is on the driver side, and air breather on the passenger side.

The muffler shop needs the car to start to be able to pull in to the shop, its an older man and he's the only one there i guess. And I cant be there to help push the car around.

So i took pictures for you guys to see if I run my car without a downpipe if it will melt the fan, or bottom radiator hose? Take a look, also see if you notice any other fitment issues. Looks like its going to be a tight fit:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, Styles., Jun-25-07 04:00 PM, #1
RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, totaleclipse_05, Jun-25-07 04:01 PM, #2
RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, .bs0d, Jun-25-07 04:27 PM, #3
      RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, RS-T, Jun-25-07 10:17 PM, #4
      RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, .bs0d, Jun-26-07 02:38 AM, #5
      RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, VelocitaPaola, Jun-26-07 04:06 AM, #6
           RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, .bs0d, Jun-26-07 04:28 AM, #7
           RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, Nightfall, Jun-26-07 04:35 AM, #8
                RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, foggy45, Jun-26-07 04:58 AM, #9
                     RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, .bs0d, Jun-26-07 06:20 AM, #10
                          RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-26-07 09:03 AM, #11
                               RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, .bs0d, Jun-26-07 01:57 PM, #12
                                    RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, turbo8u, Jun-26-07 05:55 PM, #13
                                         RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, .bs0d, Jun-27-07 07:06 AM, #14
                                              RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, DanKid, Jun-27-07 04:53 PM, #15
                                                   RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-03-07 11:44 PM, #16

Styles.Jun-25-07 04:00 PM
Member since May 05th 2007
59 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100584, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 0

doesn't look like your going to be able to get a down pipe on it with out it melting the rad fan and maybe that lower hose

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

totaleclipse_05Jun-25-07 04:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100585, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 0

If you are just moving it from one spot to another, it should be ok. I would not recommend driving it around like that though for longer than like a minute though. Won't take long to melt something.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

.bs0dJun-25-07 04:27 PM
597 posts,
#100586, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 2

The muffler shop is less than 4 miles or so; would it be safe to run without any fans at all?

I dont really have any other options with what I've got, I have to figure out a way to get a downpipe on with this setup. So, I could probably make some brackets and move the fan slightly to the right (towards the driver side). Would the fan still be effective this way?

Or, I could have the muffler shop trim back the flange to get a better angle away from the fan and hoses, like this:

any discussion is appreciated. Thanks,

RS-TJun-25-07 10:17 PM
Member since May 29th 2007
67 posts,
#100588, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 3

Any chance of having insurance tow it?

Thats what I did. I told USAA I spun a bearing and didn't want to drive. She said I was covered under transmission and electrical problems so I told her the bearing was in the transmisson. Worked for me

Rebuild In Process

.bs0dJun-26-07 02:38 AM
597 posts,
#100589, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 4

Doubt it, but i'll pony up the $65 to tow it up if need be, and maybe i can drive it back? But i'll have to take off work to help push it in and out of the shop apparently

VelocitaPaolaJun-26-07 04:06 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#100590, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by .bs0d
Or, I could have the muffler shop trim back the flange to get a better angle away from the fan and hoses, like this:

That piece is cast... it'll be a bitch to cut and weld.

You'd be better off either ditching the O2 housing altogether, or getting rid of the stock fans in favor of slim lines.

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

.bs0dJun-26-07 04:28 AM
597 posts,
#100591, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 6

Can the muffler shop build their own? perhaps trace the fitting up to the turbo, and weld the pipe to that, then just put two O2 sensor bung's on the downpipe?

NightfallJun-26-07 04:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#100592, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-26-07 04:40 AM by Nightfall

Maybe remove the drivers side fan and run a temporary jumper wire to the other one, then get some of that aluminum flex tubing for exhaust repairs and wire up to your turbo to help keep as much hot exhaust directed towards the ground? I'm sure it will sound bad but it's just to get to the shop right

foggy45Jun-26-07 04:58 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#100593, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 8

forget your 02 housing entierly

http://www.atpturbo.com/
find the turbo exhaust flange you need then give it to the shop and let them make DP from that.
then you can put the 02 sensor anywhere in that line.

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

.bs0dJun-26-07 06:20 AM
597 posts,
#100595, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 9

I have a small Garrett 25, looks like the website will have what I need, I just need to find the right one.

would it be this: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-042&Category_Code=BCS

or this: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-081&Category_Code=BCS

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-26-07 09:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#100596, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 10

Just drive it. You'll be fine.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

.bs0dJun-26-07 01:57 PM
597 posts,
#100598, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 11

Ok, and for ultimately a better fitment, purchase a new flange and ditch the O2 housing? Anyone know which of the two I need? I guess the one that says its made for welding?

turbo8uJun-26-07 05:55 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#100604, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 12

make the whole thing from the flange, no biggy!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

.bs0dJun-27-07 07:06 AM
597 posts,
#100611, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 13

all i have is the o2 housing that connects to the disc. side of the turbo; guess i'll order the flange for welding from the prev. post above and have him weld the pipe from that.

DanKidJun-27-07 04:53 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#100620, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 14

I'm in the same boat as you. I am slowly installing my turbo kit this week. I would recommend that you change that rubber oil drain line with a stainless steel one cause I have been told by a fellow member that those rubber lines will melt easily if they make contact with the engine.

2GeclipseRSJul-03-07 11:44 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#100705, "RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment"
In response to Reply # 15

So it's been a while....

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

Finished yet?

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100583 Previous topic | Next topic