Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectReverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=100583
100583, Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by .bs0d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, im up to the point to have my downpipe fabricated. My turbo on the manifold is facing the opposite direction than "normal" so the downpipe is on the driver side, and air breather on the passenger side.

The muffler shop needs the car to start to be able to pull in to the shop, its an older man and he's the only one there i guess. And I cant be there to help push the car around.

So i took pictures for you guys to see if I run my car without a downpipe if it will melt the fan, or bottom radiator hose? Take a look, also see if you notice any other fitment issues. Looks like its going to be a tight fit:

100584, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by Styles., Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
doesn't look like your going to be able to get a down pipe on it with out it melting the rad fan and maybe that lower hose
100585, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you are just moving it from one spot to another, it should be ok. I would not recommend driving it around like that though for longer than like a minute though. Won't take long to melt something.
100586, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
The muffler shop is less than 4 miles or so; would it be safe to run without any fans at all?

I dont really have any other options with what I've got, I have to figure out a way to get a downpipe on with this setup. So, I could probably make some brackets and move the fan slightly to the right (towards the driver side). Would the fan still be effective this way?

Or, I could have the muffler shop trim back the flange to get a better angle away from the fan and hoses, like this:

any discussion is appreciated. Thanks,
100588, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by RS-T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any chance of having insurance tow it?

Thats what I did. I told USAA I spun a bearing and didn't want to drive. She said I was covered under transmission and electrical problems so I told her the bearing was in the transmisson. Worked for me.:-)
100589, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Doubt it, but i'll pony up the $65 to tow it up if need be, and maybe i can drive it back? But i'll have to take off work to help push it in and out of the shop apparently
100590, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by .bs0d
Or, I could have the muffler shop trim back the flange to get a better angle away from the fan and hoses, like this:

That piece is cast... it'll be a bitch to cut and weld.

You'd be better off either ditching the O2 housing altogether, or getting rid of the stock fans in favor of slim lines.

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

100591, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Can the muffler shop build their own? perhaps trace the fitting up to the turbo, and weld the pipe to that, then just put two O2 sensor bung's on the downpipe?
100592, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by Nightfall, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Maybe remove the drivers side fan and run a temporary jumper wire to the other one, then get some of that aluminum flex tubing for exhaust repairs and wire up to your turbo to help keep as much hot exhaust directed towards the ground? I'm sure it will sound bad but it's just to get to the shop right?:shrug
100593, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
forget your 02 housing entierly

http://www.atpturbo.com/
find the turbo exhaust flange you need then give it to the shop and let them make DP from that.
then you can put the 02 sensor anywhere in that line.
100595, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
I have a small Garrett 25, looks like the website will have what I need, I just need to find the right one.

would it be this: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-042&Category_Code=BCS

or this: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-081&Category_Code=BCS
100596, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just drive it. You'll be fine.
100598, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Ok, and for ultimately a better fitment, purchase a new flange and ditch the O2 housing? Anyone know which of the two I need? I guess the one that says its made for welding?
100604, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
make the whole thing from the flange, no biggy!
100611, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
all i have is the o2 housing that connects to the disc. side of the turbo; guess i'll order the flange for welding from the prev. post above and have him weld the pipe from that.
100620, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I am slowly installing my turbo kit this week. I would recommend that you change that rubber oil drain line with a stainless steel one cause I have been told by a fellow member that those rubber lines will melt easily if they make contact with the engine.
100705, RE: Reverse turbo - downpipe fitment
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So it's been a while....

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

Finished yet?
I generated this page in 0.0085470676422119 seconds, executing 7 queries.