Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #14532
View in linear mode

Subject: "High compression and turbo" Previous topic | Next topic
mcgyvrJan-30-02 06:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14532, "High compression and turbo"

ive started saving for hahn stage 2 turbo and upgraded internals/motor work---my question I know everyone says lower your compression for boost,I want to get the 12.1 pistons and then run turbo and have me a smokin fast venge, I know I will have to get the fuel tuning perfect to avoid detonation but is there anyone running high compression and turbo on here?? Does anyone see problems doing this?? any info/suggestions would be appreciated..

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: High compression and turbo, Kory, Jan-30-02 06:51 AM, #1
RE: High compression and turbo, TeamJasonESi_T, Jan-30-02 07:18 AM, #4
      RE: High compression and turbo, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-30-02 07:54 AM, #8
RE: High compression and turbo, Fast420A, Jan-30-02 06:51 AM, #2
RE: High compression and turbo, speedracer21, Jan-30-02 06:54 AM, #3
      RE: High compression and turbo, mcgyvr, Jan-30-02 07:18 AM, #5
           RE: High compression and turbo, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-30-02 07:43 AM, #6
                RE: High compression and turbo, mcgyvr, Jan-30-02 07:53 AM, #7
                     RE: High compression and turbo, Kory, Jan-30-02 08:09 AM, #9
                          RE: High compression and turbo, mcgyvr, Jan-30-02 09:10 AM, #10
                               RE: High compression and turbo, MrClean125, Jan-30-02 09:26 AM, #11
                                    RE: High compression and turbo, Fast420A, Jan-30-02 09:35 AM, #12
                                         RE: High compression and turbo, TeamAvenger, Jan-30-02 10:03 AM, #13
                                              RE: High compression and turbo, loeric18_2000, Jan-30-02 10:50 AM, #14
                                                   RE: High compression and turbo, Kory, Jan-30-02 11:22 AM, #15
                                                        RE: High compression and turbo, Fast420A, Jan-30-02 01:12 PM, #16
                                                             RE: High compression and turbo, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-31-02 03:53 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: High compression and turbo, Kory, Jan-31-02 07:56 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: High compression and turbo, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-31-02 08:00 AM, #19
                                                                            RE: High compression and turbo, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-31-02 08:07 AM, #20
                                                                                 RE: High compression and turbo, mcgyvr, Jan-31-02 08:16 AM, #21
                                                                                      RE: High compression and turbo, Mystic511, Jan-31-02 09:30 AM, #22
                                                                                           RE: High compression and turbo, mcgyvr, Jan-31-02 09:37 AM, #23
                                                                                                RE: High compression and turbo, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-31-02 10:16 AM, #24
                                                                                                     RE: High compression and turbo, Kory, Jan-31-02 10:26 AM, #25
                                                                                                          RE: High compression and turbo, Matt_95tgs, Feb-01-02 02:00 AM, #26
                                                                                                               RE: High compression and turbo, Teameclipse804, Feb-01-02 02:53 PM, #27
                                                                                                               RE: High compression and turbo, Fast420A, Feb-01-02 09:48 PM, #28
                                                                                                                    RE: High compression and turbo, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-02-02 04:43 AM, #29
                                                                                                               RE: High compression and turbo, TeamStan2gnt, Feb-02-02 08:17 PM, #30

KoryJan-30-02 06:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14533, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 0

BOOM!

96RS ~ full 99GS Special Edit. body conversion, aem cai, greddy header, greddy sp exhaust, afx pulley, B&M sS, magecores & NGKs, S-AFC, A/F and Volt guages, Sparco Torino Seat, illuminas, prokits, ingalls camber, gunmetal GS rims, ST Sways, STBs, lower rear tie bar, Sony Xplode head, Xplode 10 disk, Boston Components, 2 Kenwood amps, 12" MTX sub, a shit load more.

97GSX ~ 18psi~ Ported/Clipped 10 degrees Frank 2 w/47trim, Ported Exh. housing, Tial 40mm External Wastegate with discharge tube, Ported O2 housing, 3" downpipe, 3" Straight Pipe, Apex N1, fake cat, K&N FIPK, Greddy IC Piping, Type S bov, S-AFC, Profec B, Greddy TT, Slimline Fan, RRE Catch Can, Greddy Big FMIC, ND 660s, Walboro 190lph, ACT 2600 w/street disk, clutch SS line, lighten flywheel, removed cruise control line, Greddy EGT, Coolant, Boost Gauges, motor mount inserts, Magnecor & plugs, greddy oil cap, greddy radiator cap, and free mods. To all the haters _|_ tia

The Original 2GNT []D[][]Y[][]D

96 RS

97 GSX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TJan-30-02 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#14534, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 1

As you might know, Stan's is the highest compression'ed turbo car that has been on the 2gnt.com board (@ 10.5CR). However, If you examine Gary Howell's recent post and information that I think has been posted on the main 2gnt section, that may provide you with some more information.

(and Kory...thanks for the great reply...I'm sure that's about as helpful as an extra hole in the head)

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-30-02 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#14535, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 4

I second that.

I'm tired of deleteing posts like this, Kory. It's a waste of space, time, and precious processing power. Stop, or leave. I'm tired of it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Fast420AJan-30-02 06:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#14536, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 0

From what info I have gathered from Gary Howell's posts, you can run 12.5:1 compression at about 4 psi on pump gas. With the high compression the turbo will spool up quickly and you will be making some nice power. Go to the track and put in race gas and turn up the boost and you will be REALLY fast. I wouldn't do this without an intercooler on the turbo system though and I would also get larger injectors just to be safe.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Drop in K&N Filter and open airbox
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

speedracer21Jan-30-02 06:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
638 posts,
#14537, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm planning on running 9.5:1 when i rebuild, and 12-16 psi

mcgyvrJan-30-02 07:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#14538, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 3

So ,is that the big factor fuel tuning. . but yeah i would like to run 8-9lbs 12.1 compression and it will be with a hahn stage 2 kit.. any other factors/problems i might encounter.. I know most of the people on here only think that you can run a turbo by lowering compression but the big guys are raising compression...

Mods are:
Not enough

TeamStan2gntJan-30-02 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#14539, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 5

I think 12:1 compression on a turbo car that isn't racing against Lisa Kubo and Sean Glazer is just nuts. I wouldn't have been running 10.6 if I wasn't already stuck with it but it held up to 10psi without ever a problem. Those guys running 11 and 12:1 compression race cars aren't looking for fast spool up, they never see below 5000rpms, they just want maximum cyl pressure. They also have full engine management systems and most important of all THEY ALSO BREAK and can afford to repair it. High compression also requires a huge turbo to keep intake temps down and cyl pressure reasonable at low rpms. Small turbo and high compression dont mix so there goes your fast spool up. You want spool up spend you money on a high dollar ball bearing turbo (such as garrett Ballistic/HKS GT series) and time selecting the right size.

Also note they are all race cars with extremely high or low compression. Dont try and treat your daily drivers like a bastard, no love trailer queen, your car has to survive things they never see (like running more than 10sec at a time, staying in one piece more than a 10 race season, hot weather cruising, octane lower than a genious's IQ). The only turbo street cars I know of with 11:1 compression and beyond are turbo'd Celica GTS, S2000's and M3s that came from the factory that way (again not by choice but being dealt the card).

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

mcgyvrJan-30-02 07:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#14540, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 6

thanks guys, im gonna have to think about it, but definitely will be at least 10.5 compression (gotta do something to make up for having an automatic)

Mods are:
Not enough

KoryJan-30-02 08:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#14541, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 7

do i really have to explain more than BOOM? use common sense high compression and big boost = boom. have others had success? yes! r u like the others? no! has stan had problems? yes! has stan sold his turbo kit? yes! nuff said? yes! and for the haters eff off.

boom in itself is a str8 up and clear reply.

96RS ~ full 99GS Special Edit. body conversion, aem cai, greddy header, greddy sp exhaust, afx pulley, B&M sS, magecores & NGKs, S-AFC, A/F and Volt guages, Sparco Torino Seat, illuminas, prokits, ingalls camber, gunmetal GS rims, ST Sways, STBs, lower rear tie bar, Sony Xplode head, Xplode 10 disk, Boston Components, 2 Kenwood amps, 12" MTX sub, a shit load more.

97GSX ~ 18psi~ Ported/Clipped 10 degrees Frank 2 w/47trim, Ported Exh. housing, Tial 40mm External Wastegate with discharge tube, Ported O2 housing, 3" downpipe, 3" Straight Pipe, Apex N1, fake cat, K&N FIPK, Greddy IC Piping, Type S bov, S-AFC, Profec B, Greddy TT, Slimline Fan, RRE Catch Can, Greddy Big FMIC, ND 660s, Walboro 190lph, ACT 2600 w/street disk, clutch SS line, lighten flywheel, removed cruise control line, Greddy EGT, Coolant, Boost Gauges, motor mount inserts, Magnecor & plugs, greddy oil cap, greddy radiator cap, and free mods. To all the haters _|_ tia

96 RS

97 GSX

mcgyvrJan-30-02 09:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#14542, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 9

is there anyone that has put a turbo on that has not had one single problem? NO I doubt it... Does that mean that it shouldn't be done if some have problems? NO.... Should I forget my dreams/plans cause Kory says it can't be done? FUNK THAT..

Mods are:
Not enough

MrClean125Jan-30-02 09:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
230 posts,
#14543, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 10

I feel the love...its all warm and fuzzy :-D

Dave "The Bald Bull"
97 RS Member of the infamous Barcelona Red Crew

"Free people will never remain free, if they are not willing, if need be, to fight for their vital interests"

"It is better to have died in the ranks of the vanquished warriors th

Fast420AJan-30-02 09:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#14544, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 11

There is a guy here in Tampa running his 11:1 compression S2000 at 8 psi on 93 octane with no detonation problems. He pulled low 12's at the track with 2.6 60' times! 2.0L S2000, 11:1 compression stock 240 HP to the Flywheel which is around 210 HP to the Wheels. With the turbo kit on the car and before he had the 3 inch exhaust he put down around 360 HP to the Wheels at 8 psi!

current status unknown

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Symborsky Shift Kit

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

TeamAvengerJan-30-02 10:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#14545, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 12

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet so I will. You will need good fuel tuning but I think you WILL need good timing too. Something with alot of timing retard.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

loeric18_2000Jan-30-02 10:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
127 posts,
#14546, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 13

12:1 is just too crazy. I would think 9:1 if not stock compression will be ideal. You gatta give some room to it, with perfect fuel timing tuning you should have no problem. What if the weather changes, it gets colder. Theoretically, You will get more air which means leaner fuel mixture, not good. Also, 4psi of boost, there is hardly a turbo will run 4 psi efficientlly. Just a thought.

KoryJan-30-02 11:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#14547, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 14

by all means... try it if that is ur goal... i give u respect.

i am jess saying the way to go is lower compression and higher boost. that is proven and tried. if u want to constantly have problems... go for it. and that s2k that is running boost... let's see how long it lasts.

96 RS

97 GSX

Fast420AJan-30-02 01:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#14548, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 15

and that s2k that is
>running boost... let's see how long it lasts.

I'll let you know when he blows!

current status unknown

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Symborsky Shift Kit

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit

TeamStan2gntJan-31-02 03:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#14549, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 16

Kory I sure would like to know what compression related problems I'm having/have had. The only problems I had when I sold the turbo kit are electrical and minor. I sold the turbo kit because it was the only way I could get a reasonable amount of cash for a new car without having to sell my 2GNT (getting a turbo is easier than purchasing another 2GNT with all the work I've done on it). My engine is still in one piece and will be turbo'd again with the same compression.

What problems?

Yes I still own a 2gnt.
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

KoryJan-31-02 07:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#14550, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 17

i mean look at the probs u had... and u didnt even go high compression so imagine the headaches that guy's gonna have

96 RS

97 GSX

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-31-02 08:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#14551, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 18

I think Stan had a bunch of those little problems though, didnt his car have like 140,000 miles on it?

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

TeamStan2gntJan-31-02 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#14552, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 19

160K miles and not one having anything to do with compression. I had some wires that the EGR pipe melted a few times. Possibly related to turbo heat alhough it happens on NA cars. I blew a few tranny's and slipped a few clutches over the yrs. I drove that damn turbo at 10psi EVERYDAY from the day I got an intercooler to the day I took the turbo off so how can you relate my problems to compression.

My problems were due to the POS car itself. The engine is the only thing that holds up. over 2 yrs and and 53K miles on the rebuilt engine.

Yes I still own a 2gnt.
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

mcgyvrJan-31-02 08:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#14553, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 20

Well dispite what Kory thinks, Im gonna go ahead and get the stage 2 with 12.1 pistons/rods and tune..tune...tune till this thing eats v8 for dinner, im sick of having a slow ass car, I got smoked by a grand am yesterday and that will happen no more, and Im just trying to be different/origional.. the reason i got my car is cause I wanted to learn alot more about cars, before I started modding my car, I thought a car was too hard to work on because of the computer in it.. now Ive done all the mods in my sig myself and am ready to start tackling the internal modifications, ive been reading this and asog for a little over two years now and have learned quite a bit about turbos/tuning..etc.. and after gary's post about compression I thought why not give it a try, i plan to have this car at least another 5-10 years, i love it.. and the ladies love the looks of the avenger (which is better looking than the eclipse if you ask me). SO plan on seeing me at the tracks smoking everyone later this year early next year..

I just wish someone would have told me earlier that a 420A takes alot more money to make fast all motor than just by adding a turbo. I would have bought the turbo before i dumped money in to all the mods Ive got that will end up being replaced by the turbo kit anyway..

Mods are:
Not enough

Mystic511Jan-31-02 09:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#14554, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 21

I think all kory is trying to say is play it safe. I'm sure running high compression pistons with a turbo will net more overall power...

but with low compression pistons and the proper tuning... wouldn't it sound alot more intimidating when you say you're running 20 psi on pump gas (which i believe can be done on a daily driving basis), instead of saying 7 psi (on 12.1:1 pistons)?

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

mcgyvrJan-31-02 09:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#14555, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 22

"its not how many psi's you say your running, its who wins" sorry kind of a F&F saying

and actually i would rather say yep turbo'd with 12.1 compression, o-ringed block ,methanol for fuel and watch jaws drop }>

Mods are:
Not enough

TeamStan2gntJan-31-02 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#14556, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 23

Go for it but when you get beat by a guy with 9:1 compression and 15psi dont say you weren't warned in advanced.

Yes I still own a 2gnt.
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

KoryJan-31-02 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#14557, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 24

nahh man dont get me wrong... innovation is good... do wat u think is best. im just stating wat is my opinion

best of luck and hope u do succeed and kick some arse

96 RS

97 GSX

Matt_95tgsFeb-01-02 02:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#14558, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 25

Really... running higher compression and lower boost and running lower compression with higher boost is the same thing in the eyes of yer engine. Its just a different means of getting the same result. The added bonus of goin with higher compression is that a smaller turbo can create more horses than normal = more bang for the buck. Good luck with that project.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

Teameclipse804Feb-01-02 02:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#14559, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 26

Keep in mind that 12:1 compression is REALLY high even for an n/a engine. If you really want to run 12:1 (skrilla's stock head gasket only lasted 20 minutes at that compression), then I would FiRST get the car running goog with that high compression. Then, when it's actually running ok, try to turbo it. If you do it all at once, I think it will blow right away unless you are an experienced tuner and have an engine management system or other means of adjusting everything.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Fast420AFeb-01-02 09:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#14560, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 27

Skrilla got high compression by milling the shit out of the head not by using hi compression pistons. That would have something to do with the life of the gasket.

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Symborsky Shift Kit

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-02-02 04:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#14561, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 28

I guess I don't understand why you want such high compression with lower boost. Auto cars don't NEED high compression to be fast. Thats what the turbo is there for in the first place.

Good luck, and I hope you don't blow up. My car's EGTs with factory 9.6 compression pistons would top out at close to 1600 degrees with just 7psi. I can't imagine 12:1 compression with the same amount of boost or more. Just doesn't make sense. You can go just as fast with lower compression and more boost. But do what you want.

TeamStan2gntFeb-02-02 08:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#14562, "RE: High compression and turbo"
In response to Reply # 26

The added bonus of goin with
>higher compression is that a smaller turbo can create more
>horses than normal = more bang for the buck. Good luck with
>that project.

A smaller turbo and high compression is the quickest way to increase intake temps and reduce the safety margin . Any gains from compression would likely be cancelled from inefficiency and heat using a smaller than normally optimal turbo.

usually its the other way around. You can use a bigger turbo with high compression and still spool reasonably fast because of the added exhaust energy from high compression while reaping the top end benefits of a big turbo

Yes I still own a 2gnt.
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #14532 Previous topic | Next topic