Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #99263
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?" Previous topic | Next topic
505racerJun-27-07 08:11 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2007
62 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99263, "Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"

i want to dye them all from the ugly gray color to a nice black... do i have to take them off to do it right..
whats the best way to accomplish this?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, DanKid, Jun-28-07 04:47 AM, #1
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, eclipse982nrRST, Jun-28-07 05:24 AM, #2
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, DanKid, Jun-28-07 01:35 PM, #9
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, 505racer, Jun-28-07 07:06 AM, #3
      RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-28-07 07:52 AM, #4
           RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, R34Eclipse, Jun-28-07 11:22 AM, #5
                RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, eclipse982nrRST, Jun-28-07 11:49 AM, #6
                     RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-28-07 12:17 PM, #7
                          RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, 505racer, Jun-28-07 01:30 PM, #8
                               RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-28-07 04:51 PM, #10
                                    RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, R34Eclipse, Jun-29-07 04:06 AM, #11
                                         RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-29-07 05:51 AM, #12
                                              RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-29-07 09:42 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-29-07 10:21 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, R34Eclipse, Jun-29-07 10:24 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, R34Eclipse, Jun-29-07 10:27 AM, #16
                                                             RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-29-07 10:57 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, R34Eclipse, Jun-30-07 07:22 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, RS-T, Jul-02-07 02:40 PM, #19
                                                                            RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, 505racer, Jul-02-07 07:19 PM, #20
                                                                                 RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, 505racer, Jul-05-07 08:12 PM, #21
                                                                                      RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, eclipsegs96, Jul-07-07 05:01 AM, #22
                                                                                           RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, 505racer, Jul-07-07 10:20 PM, #23
                                                                                                RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, scorpo86, Jun-06-11 10:16 PM, #24
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, xxsoccerguy55xx, Jul-26-11 06:46 PM, #25
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, Broke4going, Nov-29-11 03:52 PM, #26
RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?, predsfan029, Jun-03-12 12:41 PM, #27

DanKidJun-28-07 04:47 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99265, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-28-07 04:49 AM by DanKid

I am also in the process of painting my interior pieces black. There's many ways of doing it. I have chosen to do it the cheapest way possible which is to take off the pieces, give them a good cleaning with soap and warm water and wet sand them with fine sandpaper. After it dries up really good I spray the pieces with a can of adhesion promotor which I buy at Autozone. After two coats of the adhesion promotor I put three light coats of black Kyrlon fusion and then two coats of clear. I did my pillar gauge pod that way a few years ago and the paint is still perfect. The Krylon fusion is really good because it eats into the plastic which makes it stay permanently and not flake. You won't get the professional smooth look but it will look good for a cheap price.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse982nrRSTJun-28-07 05:24 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#99266, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DanKid
I am also in the process of painting my interior pieces black. There's many ways of doing it. I have chosen to do it the cheapest way possible which is to take off the pieces, give them a good cleaning with soap and warm water and wet sand them with fine sandpaper. After it dries up really good I spray the pieces with a can of adhesion promotor which I buy at Autozone. After two coats of the adhesion promotor I put three light coats of black Kyrlon fusion and then two coats of clear. I did my pillar gauge pod that way a few years ago and the paint is still perfect. The Krylon fusion is really good because it eats into the plastic which makes it stay permanently and not flake. You won't get the professional smooth look but it will look good for a cheap price.

does it scratch easily?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

DanKidJun-28-07 01:35 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#99276, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-28-07 01:35 PM by DanKid

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST does it scratch easily?

Mine hasn't scratched yet but I have yet to test it out on items like the door sills or armrest which are rubbed up against a lot in a daily basis. I guess that the expensive way of painting interior pieces would be to get it done at an auto body shop where they will charge you an arm and a leg but they will leave it with that mirror like shine.

505racerJun-28-07 07:06 AM
62 posts,
#99268, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-28-07 07:09 AM by 505racer

Originally posted by DanKid

whats the expensive way?...can you post pics please?
would it look better to wet sand the clear a little after it dries..

Cruz

RoninEclipse2GJun-28-07 07:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99270, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 505racer
Originally posted by DanKid I am also in the process of painting my interior pieces black. There's many ways of doing it. I have chosen to do it the cheapest way possible which is to take off the pieces, give them a good cleaning with soap and warm water and wet sand them with fine sandpaper. After it dries up really good I spray the pieces with a can of adhesion promotor which I buy at Autozone. After two coats of the adhesion promotor I put three light coats of black Kyrlon fusion and then two coats of clear. I did my pillar gauge pod that way a few years ago and the paint is still perfect. The Krylon fusion is really good because it eats into the plastic which makes it stay permanently and not flake. You won't get the professional smooth look but it will look good for a cheap price.
whats the expensive way?...can you post pics please? would it look better to wet sand the clear a little after it dries..

only if you're looking to have a glass like surface.

I'm using the krylon fusion satin black, it looks AMAZING! the only problem I've had was I put the drivers door back in the car too soon and marred up the paint a little, if you paint the pieces leave them out of the car for the full curing period (7 days) before reinstalling them. DanKid's process is almost exactly what I've been doing just I didn't use the adhesion promoter (the krylon Fusion doesn't need it)

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

R34EclipseJun-28-07 11:22 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#99272, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-28-07 11:25 AM by R34Eclipse

the best way? get factory black panels, i dont care who you are, paint will scrape or flake eventually and will never look the same as a true black panel. end of story. unless you want some color not offered why not just get the real deal. Paint only what you HAVE to.

I did mine and my girls interior (profesionall since thats what i do) sprayed adhesion promoter through a gun and ppg paint through a gun and they both looked great and you could take a key to the platic panels and not scratch the color off, and I had a spare panel, that i tested on and after about 10-12 months the paint began to scratch easier. Trust me it will let up at some point.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex

eclipse982nrRSTJun-28-07 11:49 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#99273, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by R34Eclipse
the best way? get factory black panels, i dont care who you are, paint will scrape or flake eventually and will never look the same as a true black panel. end of story. unless you want some color not offered why not just get the real deal. Paint only what you HAVE to. I did mine and my girls interior (profesionall since thats what i do) sprayed adhesion promoter through a gun and ppg paint through a gun and they both looked great and you could take a key to the platic panels and not scratch the color off, and I had a spare panel, that i tested on and after about 10-12 months the paint began to scratch easier. Trust me it will let up at some point.

Good Luck finding a set of oe black door panels. And when you do, they are $3-500 on ebay easily. I know because I have been looking for a set for about 8 months now.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

RoninEclipse2GJun-28-07 12:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99274, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRSTGood Luck finding a set of oe black door panels. And when you do, they are $3-500 on ebay easily. I know because I have been looking for a set for about 8 months now.

yup, full black interiors are rarer than my wife's porsche (1000 made) and are worth their weight in precious metals

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

505racerJun-28-07 01:30 PM
62 posts,
#99275, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRSTGood Luck finding a set of oe black door panels. And when you do, they are $3-500 on ebay easily. I know because I have been looking for a set for about 8 months now.
yup, full black interiors are rarer than my wife's porsche (1000 made) and are worth their weight in precious metals

so its not jus somthing you can go order at the dealership or anything

Cruz

Moderatorcs82685Jun-28-07 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#99277, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 505racer
so its not jus somthing you can go order at the dealership or anything

You can if you want to pay an arm and a leg

Side note, I got my black door panels for $100 shipped, but they are not power door panels. There's also a black dash I've got my eye on at the local junkyard but cash is much shorter than I thought

Back on topic, I used the duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray on the covers for the taillights in the trunk just as a test and when I got my black door panels I compared and it matched perfectly (Flat black). All I did was clean the parts up with some soap and water and spray on a few light coats. Because I didn't sand, the pieces still have that textured look they have from the factory. Sure these aren't pieces I've tested for durability, hell they don't even see sunlight, but I am very tempted to now use the stuff on any interior piece that doesn't see too much action, such as all the panels in the rear seat and the pillars.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

R34EclipseJun-29-07 04:06 AM
706 posts,
#99280, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 10

i picked up everything for my black interior for about $300 and $250 of that was for door panels, check junk yards it may take a little while to source out everything but its not as hard as everyone makes it. I had 3 sets of black door panels one with cloth inserts one with grey leather and finnaly came across the black w/black leather inserts, it's worth it trust me i had a painted interior and hated it, it's worth the time and money not to have to redo shit and worry about telling people "be careful, it scratches, don't do that etc..." I mean there are parts that are expensive but i bought a brand new cetner console from mitsubishi for $90 the dash is easy to come by since it came in the ones with tan and some with grey even. rear panels and door panels were the harder parts to find. Door moldings and kick panels are a dime a dozen. The rest is factory grey anyway.

Sorry for the rant but I've been down both paths and have been doing interior for going on 3 years, Just trying to save some aggrivation. I'm not saying it won't look good and maybe last a while but there are soooooo many advantages to going ahead and getting the factory parts.

97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD

RoninEclipse2GJun-29-07 05:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99282, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 11

1 case of Krylon fusion paint $60

1 set of black interior panels from mitsu $1500+

1 set of black interior panels from the boneyard ~$500 for parts, multiple tanks of gas @ $50 a pop, multiple tetanus shots from tripping on that part the stupid illegal left on the ground causing you to fall into a rust bucket $$$$$$ and the hassle of finding a 2g in the junkyard in the first place.

I'm poor,
you do the math.

Erik P.

Moderatorcs82685Jun-29-07 09:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#99283, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 12
Jun-29-07 09:47 AM by cs82685

the hassle of finding a 2g in the junkyard in the first place.

You don't need a 2g for all the parts. So far most of mine (or most of the ones of debated getting from the yard) are from avengers/sebrings. Not every part will work, but a bunch will

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

RoninEclipse2GJun-29-07 10:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99284, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by cs82685
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G the hassle of finding a 2g in the junkyard in the first place.
You don't need a 2g for all the parts. So far most of mine (or most of the ones of debated getting from the yard) are from avengers/sebrings. Not every part will work, but a bunch will

those are pretty rare around here too

Erik P.

R34EclipseJun-29-07 10:24 AM
706 posts,
#99285, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 13

here i'll contribute to that, i got a dodge avenger black dash in great shape $100 plus like $20 shipping through greyhound, trust me you may save $ painting, but its well worth it to have the real deal. Search car-part.com you can always find deals on there. Actually here, I spent 5 minutes looking, granted i don't know if they are power or not they're out there.....

Front Door Trim Panel
Mitsubishi Eclipse RH,2DR,BLACK A 207266 $45 Albany Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-GA(Albany) E-mail 800-873-1669

Front Door Trim Panel
Mitsubishi Eclipse LH,2DR,BLACK A 207266 $45 Albany Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-GA(Albany) E-mail 800-873-1669

R34EclipseJun-29-07 10:27 AM
706 posts,
#99286, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 15

search for interior parts/misc I see a few on there, also there are TONs of 2gs at the local yard here, now that I have the G i don't really go myself anymore but if im out with a buddy of mine i'll check into it, if anyone wants me to look out for some parts let me know, probably best off emailing me since i really don't get on here much, just caugtht this thread, and being the interior guy i jumped on it haha... r34eciipse@aol.com

RoninEclipse2GJun-29-07 10:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#99287, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 16

I've been planning on getting the black dash, those are pretty common thanks to the black and tan interiors. might take you up on that offer tho.

everything else is a little far away, I'm in Colorado, not new york

Erik P.

R34EclipseJun-30-07 07:22 AM
706 posts,
#99293, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 17

some of them will ship as far as i know

RS-TJul-02-07 02:40 PM
Member since May 29th 2007
67 posts,
#99310, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 18

cs82685 mentioned the Duplicolor vinyle spray paint. Has anyone else tried that? I watched an episode of Trucks on the Speed channel and they used that stuff. Looks like it turned out pretty good.

Rebuild In Process

505racerJul-02-07 07:19 PM
62 posts,
#99311, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 19

Ok so if i use one of those sprays like the fusion or duplicolor vinyl what ever it is... how long do i have to wait for it to cure in between coats?

Cruz

505racerJul-05-07 08:12 PM
62 posts,
#99330, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 20

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

died my panels today balck using the duplicolor vinyl and fabric...

came out good... very impressed for what it is...

will post pics soon

Cruz

eclipsegs96Jul-07-07 05:01 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2007
69 posts,
#99337, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 21

I will be taking a ride to my local DSM grave yard this coming weekend. if you guys are looking for anything i can check for you. They always have at least 5 2g's there

The issue is always shipping. The interior parts are larger, and ups wants alot to ship, but the other alternative is greyhound

________________________________________________________________________________
2002 Audi A4 Quattro (thats my daily)

2003 Honda Element (thats the wifes)

1996 Eclipse GS - AEM Cam Gears, Crane Cams #10,Ported & Polished Head bore .20, Greddy Header 4-1, HKS Exhaust 2.5,Random free flow cat,
B&M Short Shifter, AEM CAI, Bored TB .55 Mil, MSD coil pack, compression on new motor Cyl#1=215,Cyl#2=210,Cyl#3=210,Cyl#4=215

505racerJul-07-07 10:20 PM
62 posts,
#99338, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by eclipsegs96
I will be taking a ride to my local DSM grave yard this coming weekend. if you guys are looking for anything i can check for you. They always have at least 5 2g's there The issue is always shipping. The interior parts are larger, and ups wants alot to ship, but the other alternative is greyhound

when i took off the center console i noticed somone welded the shiter to the bracket it attaches too.. would you please be able to see about that please

Cruz

scorpo86Jun-06-11 10:16 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#105299, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 23

I just painted my dash and I think that the duplicolor vinyl paint worked great. I just hope it last long. by the way, how does the red look with the black?

Sorry for the big pictures

Attachment #1, (29 file)

xxsoccerguy55xxJul-26-11 06:46 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2011
68 posts,
#105360, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would deffinetly get a couple cans of krylon fusion (black). The gloss is a little shiney. The non gloss one matches perfect with original eclipse black.

Broke4goingNov-29-11 03:52 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
#105543, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 25

For anyone past or present who was watching this thread, since 07, my painted panels have help up on the upper door panels and the dash, also the center console.

Kick panels, lower door panel, door sills or any other frequent contact points looked terrible. I recommend for new comers to opt for a two tone design leaving the bottoms gray, else buy oem black, or carbon fiber replacments, which you can literally get EVERY panel made in...sick.

The screen name says it all

predsfan029Jun-03-12 12:41 PM
Member since Feb 19th 2011
29 posts,
#105714, "RE: Can someone please tell me what the procedure for dying the interior pannels are?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-03-12 12:42 PM by predsfan029

from my personal experience doing custom car audio installation for 14 years, the only thing i would use is SEM products. i would use the SEM soap to clean the sufaces then depending on what type of material you working with, i would use one of thier vinyl or plastic preps. once youve done that, your ready to use one of thier color coats. dont rush it and do several lite coats for the best results. just know that over time you will probably have to fix areas that get scratched or worn through but that is to be expected when you dye and panel in a car.

here is the link to the SEM website http://semproducts.com/

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #99263 Previous topic | Next topic