Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105813
View in linear mode

Subject: "Airbag sensors and wiring for engine bay" Previous topic | Next topic
QC DSM ESiTAug-29-12 10:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105813, "Airbag sensors and wiring for engine bay"

Hello everyone! I've been slowly redoing my radiator support because of an unfortunate accident. The front end has been redone and now I'm working on the wiring from the fuse box the front and sides of the car. I'm only messing with the front part as the there is technically 2 parts to the harness and the engine harness was unaffected by the accident. My car is a 95 ESi manual and the donor harness is a 96 ESi Automatic (i believe). On the old damaged harness I have I red wire loomed and red connector underneath each fender (under the fender liner just about the tire). The donor harness doesn't have these connectors at all. Does anyone know if they changed the air bag sensors to a different spot at the 95's? Does anyone know anything about getting my airbags to still work with this harness? Did some of our cars not have airbags at all? I looked up on the FSM and it doesn't show these connectors (that I have on my factory harness) on the connector part locations either. Does anyone have wiring diagrams so I can still make my airbags work at all? Any help would be appreciated as I still have the airbags in my car and would like to have them if at all possible. Thanks

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-31-12 07:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105814, "RE: Airbag sensors and wiring for engine bay"
In response to Reply # 0

They're probably just in a different location. On my '95, they're loomed in yellow, iirc.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

QC DSM ESiTSep-05-12 06:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#105815, "RE: Airbag sensors and wiring for engine bay"
In response to Reply # 1

I went through the entire engine bay harness from the donor car and I don't see anything that uses those airbag sensor connectors or anything that is loomed in red or yellow either. It's really wierd. I'm going to go to a junkyard tomorrow to see if I might be able to locate another harness that does have these sensor connectors where mine are.

Maybe in 95 is the only time they had these sensors in the engine bay. Can anyone who doesn't have a 95 confirm this for me? My sensors are just above the wheel and underneath the fender liner. Do you people from 96+ have these also?

Also in my car the sensors are loomed in red in the engine bay area and loomed in yellow in the cab.

98 Dodge Neon R/T

QC DSM ESiTSep-06-12 08:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#105816, "RE: Airbag sensors and wiring for engine bay"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-06-12 08:41 PM by QC DSM ESiT

Well I hit the junkyard today and found a 96 Eclipse (build date of April 96 on the door) and it didn't have the sensors in the loom at all. There was a slot for where the sensor should be but there was no sensor or wiring. This 96 also had driver and passenger side airbags. So for some reason DSM decided to not use those sensors on 96+ (I'm figuring anyway). So I'm at a loss now for what i need to do to keep my airbags. I can't find any exact wiring diagram between a 95 and a 96+ so I don't know if I need to just swap over maybe the airbag computer from a 96+ or if I just leave those sensors undone and hope the computer is still able to trip the airbags if I ever need them. I guess I could always just rip it all out and hope I never get into a serious accident.

98 Dodge Neon R/T

QC DSM ESiTSep-19-12 03:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#105824, "RE: Airbag sensors and wiring for engine bay"
In response to Reply # 3

Went to another junkyard today. Just in case anyone has this same issue I did, the 95 2GNT's are the only ones that I've seen that have the air bag sensors in the fenders above the tire. I got a wiring harness section from a 95 and it had the sensors and wiring for them. Also in case anyone needs just the wiring harness front section for a 95 2GNT a auto and a manual transmission front harness section is the same. I think it's different for the 96+ though. Just figured I would update this for everyone to know.

98 Dodge Neon R/T

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105813 Previous topic | Next topic