Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #364
View in linear mode

Subject: "Door handle shaving ???'s" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamicjeclipseDec-16-00 02:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#364, "Door handle shaving ???'s"

I am thinking about shaving my door handles and have a couple questions about it. I don't have electric door locks but I think that would be okay because even if the door is unlocked, people can't open it beacuse there is no handle, correct? Also if my battery died how would i get the door open? How much does it cost to shave the handles? How much does it cost to buy/install the door popper kit? Thanks

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-16-00 02:55 PM, #1
RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, Teamicjeclipse, Dec-16-00 03:20 PM, #2
      RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, cyan, Dec-16-00 04:22 PM, #3
           RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, Teameclipse804, Dec-16-00 07:20 PM, #4
           RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, cyan, Dec-17-00 02:29 PM, #5
                Illegal because of safety, Teameclipse804, Dec-17-00 03:58 PM, #6
           RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, TeamStan2gnt, Dec-17-00 05:04 PM, #7
                RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, cyan, Dec-18-00 10:19 AM, #8
                     RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-18-00 10:48 AM, #9
                     RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, TeamStan2gnt, Dec-19-00 07:31 PM, #10
                          RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, cyan, Dec-26-00 06:30 PM, #11
                               RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, GSwede96, Dec-27-00 02:05 AM, #12
                                    RE: Door handle shaving ???'s, GSwede96, Dec-27-00 02:10 AM, #13
Impound, Teameclipse804, Dec-27-00 02:00 PM, #14
better solution..., cyan, Dec-28-00 04:56 PM, #15
      RE: better solution..., GSwede96, Dec-28-00 07:11 PM, #16

TeamJeff_99gsDec-16-00 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#365, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldn't mind knowing what it means to shave door handles and keyholes...can anyone fill me in on the procedure? Or a least what it means to shave it? I know it goes away, but how?
thanks

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamicjeclipseDec-16-00 03:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#366, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 1

For door handles, they would remove the door handle and then weld a piece of metal over the hole, then they would grind down the weld and use fiberglass and body filler to make it look good and smooth. They weld for bigs holes(door handles, atenna holes) and use fiberglass and body filler for small holes(keyholes, other small holes).

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

cyanDec-16-00 04:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#367, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 2

to get it done right, they should tac weld the hole which will run about 300-400 per handle plus paint. if they use bondo it may crack under stress (which the doors get alot of)
the door popper kit is about 100 dollars and should be able to install cheap if not free depending on the mechanic/installer. if your battery dies and you dont have battery conections run somewhere on the outside of the car, such as in the fenderwell or under a bumper, you will have to shatter a window to get in and pop the hood, unless you want to risk leaving the hood open all the time.

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Teameclipse804Dec-16-00 07:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#368, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 3

You said it all Cyan. Most people try to have a backup battery in case. Also, a lot of door poppers don't always seem to work. Sometimes they won't push it out hard enough, but usually it should be ok if its installed right. Also, beware that its highly illegal to shave the door handles, because no one from the outside can get in. Maybe just shave the passenger side? That's what I would do since I use the driver side door handle all the time.

Also, I think you SHOULD lock the door because its probably easier to get in if its unlocked.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

cyanDec-17-00 02:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#369, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 4

hmm, i was not aware that it was illegal. that may be just a cali thing or illegal where you are, i dont think it is here in GA. i dont see any logic behind making it illegal because people cant get in, thats sort of the point of locking your doors and getting an alarm. why would they punish you for keeping out others? this may be true but i dont think it is here and i laugh at any state that forbids you from protecting yourself and your personal property.
about the popper solenoids, youre right, some people buy a solenoid that is too weak for the weight of your door. you could go balls out and get the 100 pound solenoids and have no problems with power you just might launch the door off the hinges or into another human being with that kind of force.

Teameclipse804Dec-17-00 03:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#370, "Illegal because of safety"
In response to Reply # 5

I heard the main reason they are illegal is due to safety. In case you get in an accident or something and are not able to pull yourself out, they want to make it easy for outsiders to get you out. I know it doesn't make that much sense (since if your door is locked, they can't open it by the handle anyway), but I just heard that its a huge fine in CA.

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

TeamStan2gntDec-17-00 05:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#371, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 3

IF you shave your door handles you can always crawl through the hatch to open the doors if needed. No need to go brakin up windows.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
Stan2gnt@yahoo.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

cyanDec-18-00 10:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#372, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 7

thats assuming you have fold down rear seats, dont have a speaker box filling the entire hatch and oh yeah, didnt shave the rear keyhole. too bad i did both.
can you fold down the rear seats from inside the hatch? i assume so

TeamMichael_97RSDec-18-00 10:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#373, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 8

I thought all DSMs had fold down rear seats the only difference is wether it's split or not. And the box will support what little weight you can put on it as you crawl forward. I would just say make yourself a remote hood release and mount it somewhere out of sight so you can get a jump.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

TeamStan2gntDec-19-00 07:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#374, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 8

My talon hatch key hole is recessed in the plastic lighting assembly. How in the world do you shave that? With the hatch open you can climb over the rear seats even with them up (but all do fold down). You'd have to have a wall of woofers going up to the roof to prevent me from crawling over. Most false floor enclosers are less than 12" above the regular floor.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
Stan2gnt@yahoo.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

cyanDec-26-00 06:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#375, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 10

you take out the center piece of the taillight, plastic-weld a backing onto it, and fill the hole with bondo. paint and reinstall. you can actually do it with the piece still on the car but it would be nasty if you ever decided to use the keyhole again

GSwede96Dec-27-00 02:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
345 posts,
#376, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 11

Well a simple solution is that you hide a wire on the car..lets say behind the fender markers....or behind the innerfenders....or behind the intercooler...anywhere out of sight.You know, someplace where you have to get down on the ground and crawl to find it...but then at least you dont have to brake any windows to get in ....then you just attach the wire in the door so if you pull it the door opens..piece of cake..I did that to my hatch when I shaved the holes on mu Merkur.Its a little tricky t get the wire running good and smooth but it can be done..no problemo.

1997 GST Spyder
My car on

GSwede96Dec-27-00 02:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
345 posts,
#377, "RE: Door handle shaving ???'s"
In response to Reply # 12

another solution is the best though..a friend of mine has it..
He removed the doorlock and placed it under the doorskirt.The skirt is attacehed by a clip at the rear end of the front door...so if he gets locked out he pulls the skirt out and under/below it is the keyhole..then he can open with his key..this is teh best soulution but its alot of work and needs to be well done to work...but hen no one know you have a keyhole and no one will find it..great stuff!!!!

1997 GST Spyder
My car on

Teameclipse804Dec-27-00 02:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#378, "Impound"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 27-Dec-00 AT 07:03 PM (PST)

Hey, just as a follow up, I knew it was illegal, but I didn't know that door handle shaving could mean immediate impound. At least here in CA, they can impound your car on the spot. My friend with a Civic has only had shaved door handles for about half a year, but now he really wants to go back to stock door handles (he said its too scary with cops everywhere).

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

cyanDec-28-00 04:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#379, "better solution..."
In response to Reply # 14

why not just run some thick wire from the positive and negative battery terminals and run it under the bumper. if the battery dies all you have to do is clamp the jumper cable alligator clamps onto the two wires to jump the car and popl the doors. cant say that hidden wires and custom mounted keyholes is any easier than this.

GSwede96Dec-28-00 07:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
345 posts,
#380, "RE: better solution..."
In response to Reply # 15

cyan...
thats true...depends on what you want though...the hidden wire is a extremely cheap solution if you cant afford anything else....nothin more thaan that.
The hidden keyhole is a cool custom thing if this is a showcar...and its fairly safe since no one knows where it is....

But of course..the cables from the battery is ok too..no doubht about it.

1997 GST Spyder
My car on

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #364 Previous topic | Next topic