Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #101138
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Custom headliner is ez (pics)" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic
ezMay-13-08 04:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#101138, "Custom headliner is ez (pics)"
May-13-08 04:43 PM by ez

My headliner started to sag so it was time for a fixin'. Took me less than an hour to take out the headliner and prep it, and that includes the walk to ACE hardware to pick up the adhesive. I removed the existing fabric (it almost fell off by itself) and rubbed off all the foam on the headliner. The foam was almost like powder - it comes off the headliner really easy - and you should do it so that you won't have to deal with your new headliner sagging again later. I used the 3M adhesive made for car interiors. This is the adhesive that comes out like a string, not hairspray, and is what seems to work best for others.

Used a little over 42" of some fabric I had left over from my curtains. It has a red sheen that turns black at an angle - works well with my black/red theme. It has a natural wrinkle to it - which I needed because it would make f-ups look intentional. Sprayed most of the can onto the headliner and then applied the fabric after about 5 minutes. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 5, doing a headliner is a 0, except for the ocean breeze that picked up as soon as I was trying to put the fabric down for the first time. I'm letting it dry right now so no pics of it installed.

Negative points to whoever says this belongs in an impala. Or a coffin The ladies will like it IMO

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
djtrickeeMay-31-08 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#101229, "RE: Custom headliner is ez (pics)"
In response to Reply # 50

hehe.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse982nrRSTMay-31-08 01:09 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#101230, "RE: Custom headliner is ez (pics)"
In response to Reply # 51

Originally posted by djtrickee
hehe.

LMFAO.

A fucking funny newbie?

Cool.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

hazardeclipseJun-02-08 02:43 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
640 posts,
#101235, "RE: NSFW"
In response to Reply # 49

Originally posted by Hedge
honestly its like the easiest thing to do. foggy, you shouldnt have any trouble with it. EZ did a slightly different way then i did because mine was not sagging, and i had the sunroof to hold everything tight so i didnt worry about it sagging. just unclip everything, but be carefull of the two clips in the back above the window. One of my clips is forever lost in a hole because it fell when i poped it off. Take it out the back of the car, then just remove all of the old carpet. it just pulls off. If you want to get rid of the foam like EZ did, im guessing it just rubs off. i had a massive piece of felt and got a few different typed of fabric and spray glew and wraped the fabric around the top edge and glued it from ontop of the headliner, then just slowly make your way to the back glewing and flipping the headliner over and glewing the other side. I dont have any wrinkles or anything in mine now, and ive never used fabric for anything. Just be sure to cut all of the holes for the sun visor and shit before you get it to the car, i cut all of the holes, but not big enough and they were a pain in the ass to put back in. Ill take a picture of it if you want.

What he said, except going to the fabric store and buying actual headliner fabric (foam backed) is a better idea. and, yes. remove all the old foam backing from the fiber board. you wont get good adhesion with your spray adhesive otherwise.

RIP- Rustbucket 1995-2009

‹hazardeclipse› by the way youre thinking of hazard_eclipse
‹hazardeclipse› thats not my fucking car
‹teklein› Oh yeah
‹hazardeclipse› he stole my name
‹hazardeclipse› fuck that radioactive yellow shit
‹teklein› Hazard_eclipse is the homo.

MesmerizedJun-05-08 09:11 AM
Member since Apr 05th 2008
28 posts,
#101273, "RE: NSFW"
In response to Reply # 53

I did mine with 3M adhesive, black dye, and a cheap sheet from Wal-Mart..

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #101138 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic