Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4919
View in linear mode

Subject: "Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem" Previous topic | Next topic
techboyJul-12-07 03:49 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4919, "Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"

If you look down a thread or two you'll see I posted a while back about pulling my motor. I finally have the whole thing rebuilt, back in the car, squeezed in a wedding, and now I have all the accessories hooked up. Problem is it won't start now. It turns over, but it won't fire. I believe I'm not getting any fuel. I ran a light tester to the fuel pump and it's getting power, but it doesn't sound like it's priming to me. Did I forget to hook something up or did my fuel take a dump on me? It seems really odd to me that the fuel pump would just die while the car was sitting. Any thought suggestions appreciated. Oh, car has 47k on it in case you're wondering how used the fuel pump is.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem, Dsm98Nt, Jul-12-07 08:12 AM, #1
RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem, ScreaminE, Jul-12-07 09:13 AM, #2
      RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem, JayWeezie88, Jul-12-07 03:04 PM, #3
           RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem, techboy, Jul-13-07 03:40 AM, #4
                RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-15-07 02:24 AM, #5
                     RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem, techboy, Jul-19-07 04:54 AM, #6
                          Update ... dumbest thing I've ever done, techboy, Aug-21-07 07:16 AM, #7
                               RE: Update ... dumbest thing I've ever done, ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-21-07 08:02 AM, #8
                                    RE: Update ... dumbest thing I've ever done, techboy, Aug-22-07 09:52 AM, #9

Dsm98NtJul-12-07 08:12 AM
Member since Apr 19th 2006
188 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4920, "RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"
In response to Reply # 0

that is quite strange. did you make sure you hooked up all the sensors while installing the motor? and you said you dont hear it primeing? i dont know if yours is a 2g guessing by the picture im hoping but in my 1g you can hear it priming. im guessing the fuel pump is shot would be my 2nd guess after the sensors and wires. it may be strange but your pump could have for some reason gone even though you have low miles.. just double check everything in the install and i would try the fuel pump. everytime ive had a fuel problem in all my cars its been the fuel pump so i dont know lol.

1998 Eclipse GS - Daily Driver
1993 Talon TSI - Project Tsi Awd Auto

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ScreaminEJul-12-07 09:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#4921, "RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-12-07 09:13 AM by ScreaminE

Are you getting fuel to the rail? Have you checked that? If your not getting anything to the rail I'd say pump.

What about spark? Usually the two go hand in hand. If your not getting fuel/spark then I'd check connections like the ignitor and CAS.

I know we have some very smart guys on here, but I've fixed gobbs of problems by looking/searching on DSMtuners.

JayWeezie88Jul-12-07 03:04 PM
Member since Jul 08th 2005
130 posts,
#4922, "RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"
In response to Reply # 2

I had the same problem when I put my motor back in.

If you upgraded your pump and have an AFPR, have someone crank it and watch the gauge, stock turbo fuel pressure is 43psi.

If you rewired it, double check all your connections and make sure you grounded it to a suitable place, if you grounded it to where the fuel pump cover screws into, it wont ground there since there is plastic things in there. If you take off your back speaker panel, you'll see a bracket where the panel screws into, I grounded mine onto there and it works just fine.

Another thing to check is if you rewired it, I know this is dumb but I've read quite a few posts of people who forget, make sure you have the fuse in the fuse holder for the fuel pump and make sure its not blown.

lol Again if you re-wired the fuel pump without soldering it, I highly suggest soldering it, I didn't solder my SAFC connections and they didn't work but as soon as I soldered them, bam it worked, same thing happened with the fuel pump.

If you don't have a upgraded pump and/or AFPR I can't help ya out there. Maybe make sure your 20A engine fuse is in? lol

99 GST - Some stuff

14.083 @ 97.37 (10psi-ish ATCO 3/13/07)

"She said its JUST a car...I said your JUST a girl"

techboyJul-13-07 03:40 AM
1662 posts,
#4923, "RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"
In response to Reply # 3

I forgot to mention that I did check to see if I had fuel at the rail and I don't. I didn't put in a new pump or rewire anything. I left the fuel completely stock for the time being. I was just reworking the motor. I have plans in the future to upgrade pump and injectors, but not at this time. I talked to a mechanic last night and he said to check all my grounds. He said if something is not grounded correctly the computer may block the signal to the pump, thus not allowing it to start. So, I dunno, I need to double check wiring conenctions and whatnot. I might try taking the pump out and giving it a little tap too.

Oh ... and yes my car is a 2G. The pic is actually of my 420A, but my 4G63 looks identical. If you didn't know me well you might not even know I got a different car.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

ModeratorbullettdsmJul-15-07 02:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4927, "RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Before you go searching all over for grounds and breaks. Check to see if you got power at the pump. Sounds kinda simple but sometimes we get caught up and forget the simple stuff.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

techboyJul-19-07 04:54 AM
1662 posts,
#4956, "RE: Motor back in - car won't start .... fuel problem"
In response to Reply # 5

I figured out what is wrong ... and it's not good unfortunately. I ran jumper cable from the battery to the fuel pump in the back of the car and it primed several times. So, I was at loss as to why the pump wouldn't prime with the key. So, in a desperate attempt I plugged in my code reader. I wasn't sure if I would get any readings since the car hadn't run, but sure enough I got one code = The crank position sensor. Appearantly that thing took a dump on me, which if the ECU doesn't see the crank position it won't tell the pump to prime (I found this out after a bit of research). So, I orded a new crank position sensor yesterday and Mitsu called me already this morning to say it was in, but the problem is to get to it and install well I think I'm going to have take the motor back out b/c it's under the timing cover and behind the timing belt. Sucks.....

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

techboyAug-21-07 07:16 AM
1662 posts,
#5014, "Update ... dumbest thing I've ever done"
In response to Reply # 6

Well .... if you my post above this one you'll see I figured out it was the crank position sensor. So after ordering a new one and taking everything back apart I figured out I did the dumbest thing ever. I installed the original one up-side-down. So, I didn't even need a new one. When it's installed correctly it reads the crank positioning sensor blade (on the crank). Oh well. Alot of work for a stupid mistake. At least it wasn't expensive. So, after all that, the car started right up. Duh!

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-21-07 08:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5015, "RE: Update ... dumbest thing I've ever done"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by techboy
Well .... if you my post above this one you'll see I figured out it was the crank position sensor. So after ordering a new one and taking everything back apart I figured out I did the dumbest thing ever. I installed the original one up-side-down. So, I didn't even need a new one. When it's installed correctly it reads the crank positioning sensor blade (on the crank). Oh well. Alot of work for a stupid mistake. At least it wasn't expensive. So, after all that, the car started right up. Duh!

AND... you have a new spare CAS.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

techboyAug-22-07 09:52 AM
1662 posts,
#5018, "RE: Update ... dumbest thing I've ever done"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah .... I'm going to frame it and hang it in my bathroom so everytime I take a dump I can remind myself how much of an idiot I am.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4919 Previous topic | Next topic