Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4744
View in linear mode

Subject: "removing powersteering and A/C" Previous topic | Next topic
Mattcky2kMar-01-07 05:46 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4744, "removing powersteering and A/C"

i haven't had power steering in about 6 or 7 months because my pump is bad and i've gotten used to it so i wanna remove it completly. anyone know of a write up that explains how to remove it all? or just what do i need to take off? also i don't really use the a/c either so what all would i need to remove to completly take it off also?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: removing powersteering and A/C, 97eclipse97, Mar-10-07 06:06 AM, #1
RE: removing powersteering and A/C, techboy, Mar-13-07 04:15 PM, #2
      RE: removing powersteering and A/C, 97eclipse97, Mar-15-07 10:48 AM, #3
           RE: removing powersteering and A/C, Remy, Apr-15-07 06:41 PM, #4
                RE: removing powersteering and A/C, 97eclipse97, Apr-16-07 04:05 AM, #5
                     RE: removing powersteering and A/C, Remy, Apr-16-07 02:13 PM, #6
                          RE: removing powersteering and A/C, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-17-07 03:16 PM, #7
                               RE: removing powersteering and A/C, Remy, Apr-24-07 06:15 PM, #8
                                    RE: removing powersteering and A/C, Dsm98Nt, Jun-19-07 05:09 PM, #9
                                         RE: removing powersteering and A/C, JayWeezie88, Jun-19-07 06:03 PM, #10

97eclipse97Mar-10-07 06:06 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4758, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Mattcky2k
i haven't had power steering in about 6 or 7 months because my pump is bad and i've gotten used to it so i wanna remove it completly. anyone know of a write up that explains how to remove it all? or just what do i need to take off? also i don't really use the a/c either so what all would i need to remove to completly take it off also?

I still have power steering (and plan to keep it!) but if you can find a manual rack for a 2g (supposedly a base Eclipse (not an RS, even less options) was optioned for either a manual or power rack) than you could just replace it and take out the pump, pully, and all lines. As far as the AC, I took out the condenser, compressor, pully, and all the lines going through the fire wall and anything in between. My AC button is now my boost controller

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

techboyMar-13-07 04:15 PM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#4759, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 1

I think they only that base model Eclipse that you are talking in 95, when the 2G's first hit the sence, so you'd have to real lucky to find one of them.

The easiest way to do it is just to pull the power steering pump and a/c pump and figure out what length belts you'll need to replace each with know that you've elminated them. I'd pull the condensor too as mentioned above. That should help keep your engine bay cooler as well. If you ever pull your motor at some point you can get into the nitty gritty of removing lines and all that, but if you just want it out for now, pull the pumps and zip tie the ECU plug-ins.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

97eclipse97Mar-15-07 10:48 AM
695 posts,
#4764, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by techboy
I think they only that base model Eclipse that you are talking in 95, when the 2G's first hit the sence, so you'd have to real lucky to find one of them. The easiest way to do it is just to pull the power steering pump and a/c pump and figure out what length belts you'll need to replace each with know that you've elminated them. I'd pull the condensor too as mentioned above. That should help keep your engine bay cooler as well. If you ever pull your motor at some point you can get into the nitty gritty of removing lines and all that, but if you just want it out for now, pull the pumps and zip tie the ECU plug-ins.

I agree that I think the base models were only for '95, but I'm not positive of course. And why would you need new belts? I am 99% sure that the only belt that runs more than one item is the water pump / altenator belt (good job Mitsu!), while the power steering pump and ac have their own belts. While a car with a manual steering rack isn't bad, a car with a power steering rack that failed is no fun, to say the least! Hence why I suggested the base model (which if you wanted to, you just might be able to find a part number and order one through Mitsu).

RemyApr-15-07 06:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4790, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 3

Power steering belt runs off the water pump pulley. Alternator , water pump and crank run on the same belt. Ac runs off a belt connected to the crank.

Not really sure why people pull power steering out of cars. Makes no diffrence for turbo carz imo besides sucking for daily driving.

----------------------------------------
500hp Beater.
Built from the ground up by me and me only.

97eclipse97Apr-16-07 04:05 AM
695 posts,
#4791, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 4

I would have done it if I could have found a manual rack. Why do people remove their AC's? They don't need it, less wait, and less rotating mass for the crank. Less rotating mass for the crank = a faster spinning crank at any given time = more fun! But, I would only pull the PS on a car that is rarely driven on the street. I would hate to have a DD without PS!

RemyApr-16-07 02:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4792, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 5

lol Removing that stuff does nothing for a 16g powered street car. Better off keeping it and make driving fun with a nice cold ac in the summer

500hp Beater.

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-17-07 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4793, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-17-07 03:17 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by Remy
lol Removing that stuff does nothing for a 16g powered street car. Better off keeping it and make driving fun with a nice cold ac in the summer

Meh, grow some biceps and sweat a little

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

RemyApr-24-07 06:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4815, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by Remy lol Removing that stuff does nothing for a 16g powered street car. Better off keeping it and make driving fun with a nice cold ac in the summer
Meh, grow some biceps and sweat a little

hahaha Mark I sweat like a pig in the summer but I will be damned if I am going to be working out while driving my car lmao

500hp Beater.

Dsm98NtJun-19-07 05:09 PM
Member since Apr 19th 2006
188 posts,
#4889, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 8

I just picked up a 93 tsi awd auto and i was really hoping it had air when i was driving home. of course when i got stuck in traffic i tryed it and its hot as hell haha.. im guessing its the hard to find/ expensive r34 crap? i have to check tomorrow. supposely on the 1g's the ac has its own belt i believe?? the auto tsi doesn't have much getty up from a launch lol it sucks.. time to upgrade that shit

JayWeezie88Jun-19-07 06:03 PM
Member since Jul 08th 2005
130 posts,
#4892, "RE: removing powersteering and A/C"
In response to Reply # 9
Jun-19-07 06:08 PM by JayWeezie88

Yes, the ac does have its own belt as mention before its the inner belt on the crankshaft pulley, and Is the ac r134a or is it r34?

99 GST - Some stuff

14.083 @ 97.37 (10psi-ish ATCO 3/13/07)

"She said its JUST a car...I said your JUST a girl"

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4744 Previous topic | Next topic