Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3896
View in linear mode

Subject: "Attn: Jeff" Previous topic | Next topic
98SpyderMay-08-04 03:51 AM
Member since Apr 21st 2004
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3896, "Attn: Jeff"

I was thinking last night. When I ask this question keep in mind that my last project was a 52 Ford Hot Ro

In an Eclipse spyder. Would the high torque out of a turbocharged 2.4L be too much for the frame/body to handle? I was thinking last night but what makes me unsure is how the engine is mounted. I know in the old rods/muscle cars etc the way the engine was mounted produced the engine twist that with high horsepower/torque would twist frames. I know the mitsu motor is transverse mounted so theoretically it should rock forward/back and not have that twisting motion. Any help anyone could add would be greatly appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-08-04 06:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3897, "RE: Attn: Jeff"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 98Spyder
I was thinking last night. When I ask this question keep in mind that my last project was a 52 Ford Hot Ro In an Eclipse spyder. Would the high torque out of a turbocharged 2.4L be too much for the frame/body to handle? I was thinking last night but what makes me unsure is how the engine is mounted. I know in the old rods/muscle cars etc the way the engine was mounted produced the engine twist that with high horsepower/torque would twist frames. I know the mitsu motor is transverse mounted so theoretically it should rock forward/back and not have that twisting motion. Any help anyone could add would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it would be a problem since you have a Spyder. There are supports welded in all over the place and the body is probably less likely to twist than a 2G.
There are people who have done awd swaps and I don't think they had any problems with twisting.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Hult250RMay-08-04 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#3898, "RE: Attn: Jeff"
In response to Reply # 1

Just think about all the ultra high horsepower Drag 2G's They dont weld any supports in anywhere.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Vandy420aMay-08-04 09:19 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3899, "RE: Attn: Jeff"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't think my T-25 makes enough torque to twist a trash bag tie........

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

TeamJeff_99gsMay-09-04 05:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3900, "RE: Attn: Jeff"
In response to Reply # 3

Those frames are twisting because they have insane levels of hp and torque. (in the 1000+ range). They are supercharged 350+ci V8's that produce tons more torque than a turbo 2.4L could ever muster.

Don't worry at all about that on your car. Even then, the only way you could twist your frame would be forward or backward. Not the easiest thing to do.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3896 Previous topic | Next topic