Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectAttn: Jeff
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=3896
3896, Attn: Jeff
Posted by 98Spyder, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was thinking last night. When I ask this question keep in mind that my last project was a 52 Ford Hot Rod:evilgrin

In an Eclipse spyder. Would the high torque out of a turbocharged 2.4L be too much for the frame/body to handle? I was thinking last night but what makes me unsure is how the engine is mounted. I know in the old rods/muscle cars etc the way the engine was mounted produced the engine twist that with high horsepower/torque would twist frames. I know the mitsu motor is transverse mounted so theoretically it should rock forward/back and not have that twisting motion. Any help anyone could add would be greatly appreciated.
3897, RE: Attn: Jeff
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 98Spyder
I was thinking last night. When I ask this question keep in mind that my last project was a 52 Ford Hot Rod:evilgrin In an Eclipse spyder. Would the high torque out of a turbocharged 2.4L be too much for the frame/body to handle? I was thinking last night but what makes me unsure is how the engine is mounted. I know in the old rods/muscle cars etc the way the engine was mounted produced the engine twist that with high horsepower/torque would twist frames. I know the mitsu motor is transverse mounted so theoretically it should rock forward/back and not have that twisting motion. Any help anyone could add would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it would be a problem since you have a Spyder. There are supports welded in all over the place and the body is probably less likely to twist than a 2G.
There are people who have done awd swaps and I don't think they had any problems with twisting.
3898, RE: Attn: Jeff
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just think about all the ultra high horsepower Drag 2G's They dont weld any supports in anywhere.
3899, RE: Attn: Jeff
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't think my T-25 makes enough torque to twist a trash bag tie........
3900, RE: Attn: Jeff
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Those frames are twisting because they have insane levels of hp and torque. (in the 1000+ range). They are supercharged 350+ci V8's that produce tons more torque than a turbo 2.4L could ever muster.

Don't worry at all about that on your car. Even then, the only way you could twist your frame would be forward or backward. Not the easiest thing to do.
I generated this page in 0.012912034988403 seconds, executing 7 queries.