Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5592
View in linear mode

Subject: "OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...." Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aDec-12-05 05:45 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5592, "OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."

alright, i'm on my way out of work a few min ago to FINALLY get my couches delivered and my car shifts into 2nd, then gets stuck and won't get out. I turn the motor off, it shifts out---I dotn' think the clutch is dis-engaging. The hydraulics all look like they're working fine, i'm absolutely stumped--AND PISSED. Now I get to deal with no car AND no clutch...

any ideas before I take it into the shop?

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...., Eric, Dec-12-05 09:02 AM, #1
RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...., DSMxTSi, Dec-12-05 09:21 AM, #2
      RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...., FlyinEsi, Dec-12-05 04:16 PM, #3
           RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...., eclipse_gs_1512, Dec-12-05 05:02 PM, #4
                RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...., Vandy420a, Dec-13-05 02:23 AM, #5
                     RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...., DSMxTSi, Dec-13-05 09:34 AM, #6
                          final results are in!!, Vandy420a, Dec-28-05 11:08 AM, #7
                               RE: final results are in!!, Kaoz78, Dec-28-05 05:13 PM, #8
                                    RE: final results are in!!, Diceman19, Dec-29-05 02:30 AM, #9
                                         RE: final results are in!!, Vandy420a, Dec-29-05 10:32 AM, #10
                                              RE: final results are in!!, Diceman19, Dec-29-05 01:42 PM, #11
                                                   RE: final results are in!!, Hult250R, Dec-29-05 01:53 PM, #12
                                                        RE: final results are in!!, Vandy420a, Dec-31-05 11:20 AM, #13

EricDec-12-05 09:02 AM
Member since Mar 21st 2004
252 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5593, "RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."
In response to Reply # 0

Have you checked the clutch fluid reservoir?
Try pumping the clutch and then try shifting. If that works then you have a leak or low fluid.

-Eric

97 Eclipse RS
1/4: 16.15 @ 87.35mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DSMxTSiDec-12-05 09:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#5594, "RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."
In response to Reply # 1

Does the pedal stick to the floor? If so, it needs to be bled more.
It may just need to be readjusted more under the dash. But don't rule out a new clutch.

FlyinEsiDec-12-05 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#5595, "RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."
In response to Reply # 2

If you are unlucky like me, you may have broken your throw out bearing and your clutch is fucking toast!

eclipse_gs_1512Dec-12-05 05:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#5596, "RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
If you are unlucky like me, you may have broken your throw out bearing and your clutch is fucking toast!

I don't like hearing stuff like this. I sometimes have trouble getting in and out of reverse. For instance, when I go to back out of my driveway I'll go to throw it in reverse and it feels like I hit a wall. Sometimes when I'm leaving reverse to go into first, I have trouble getting the shifter out of the reverse slot. Any thoughts besides checking fluids...I'm checking that tomorrow morning.

Sorry for sorta jacking the thread...it does have relevance though

2007 wrx

Vandy420aDec-13-05 02:23 AM
2037 posts,
#5597, "RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."
In response to Reply # 4

fluids are fine, doesn't stick. Brought it to a shop, its either the throw out bearing or the clutch fork. If its the clutch fork, is the clutch toast? it seemed to hold pretty well at low speed (2nd gear, as I drove w/o stopping back to the parking lot b/c i couldn't get it out)

DSMxTSiDec-13-05 09:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#5598, "RE: OK THIS IS FRIGGIN IT...."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Vandy420a
fluids are fine, doesn't stick. Brought it to a shop, its either the throw out bearing or the clutch fork. If its the clutch fork, is the clutch toast? it seemed to hold pretty well at low speed (2nd gear, as I drove w/o stopping back to the parking lot b/c i couldn't get it out)

If it's either the t/o bearing or fork then you may as well get a new clutch while that's fixed.

Vandy420aDec-28-05 11:08 AM
2037 posts,
#5599, "final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok, so the throw out bearing literally EXPLODED. I didn't end up changing out the clutch, it seems to hold just fine. They also examined it at the shop and said it was fine.

$630 later i go to pick up the car and there's a massive crack in the windshield!! I ask them about it, and they gave me the good ole "what crack?"

They're gonna fix it, but not for a while it looks like. I'll have to keep hounding them on it I guess. This shit just keeps getting better and better! Oh, and i'm still having issues with random clutch engagement (sometimes off the floor, sometimes its right at the end of travel) after adjusting the master cylinder on the cabin side.

Kaoz78Dec-28-05 05:13 PM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#5600, "RE: final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Did they give you a kiss?

Originally posted by silverarrow
I never said I was going to run 13s with my car with nothing but a sack of rice.

Diceman19Dec-29-05 02:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#5601, "RE: final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 8

so you paid $630 for what exactly? a TO bearing replacement and a crack in your windshield?

Vandy420aDec-29-05 10:32 AM
2037 posts,
#5602, "RE: final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Diceman19
so you paid $630 for what exactly?

throw out bearing replacement and a new clutch fork

Diceman19Dec-29-05 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#5603, "RE: final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Diceman19 so you paid $630 for what exactly?

that seems a little high to me. maybe im just not "with it" though.

Hult250RDec-29-05 01:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5604, "RE: final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Diceman19
Originally posted by Diceman19 so you paid $630 for what exactly?
that seems a little high to me. maybe im just not "with it" though.

Labor charges suck

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Vandy420aDec-31-05 11:20 AM
2037 posts,
#5605, "RE: final results are in!!"
In response to Reply # 12

no it was high, but I was between a rock and a hard place. The car was 25 miles away from my apartment and about 75 away from my parents house, where I can work on it. Also, I had to go TDY (like a buisness trip) the next day.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5592 Previous topic | Next topic