Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5547
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-20-06 10:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5547, "Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."

So I had some fun last night. One of the NEDSM guys picked up a 98 GST DIRT cheap. He then had a TSI AWD rolling shell donated to his project to make the GST AWD.
I got there last night around 8pm and we starting stripping everything left on the AWD donor car we could.
After we finished, we dragged it in the middle of his driveway, threw some tow straps around it and proceeded to use a truck to roll it over onto it's roof.
That made it VERY easy to rip the drivetrain out. Who needs lifts?
I took a bunch of pics and a few short videos of the car rolling over. I'll post a link to where they will be tonight or tomorrow.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., Hult250R, Jan-20-06 11:07 AM, #1
RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-20-06 11:23 AM, #2
      RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., 97eclipse97, Jan-20-06 05:48 PM, #3
           RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., Hult250R, Jan-20-06 07:07 PM, #4
                RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-20-06 07:25 PM, #5
                     RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-20-06 09:54 PM, #6
                          RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-20-06 10:03 PM, #7
                               AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-22-06 10:00 AM, #8
                                    RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ScreaminE, Jan-22-06 10:12 AM, #9
                                         RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, Hult250R, Jan-22-06 10:21 AM, #10
                                              RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-22-06 12:13 PM, #11
                                                   RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, Blizare, Jan-27-06 06:14 PM, #12
                                                        RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-27-06 07:02 PM, #13
                                                             RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, BlackMagic, Jan-28-06 08:12 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, 97eclipse97, Jan-28-06 11:43 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, BigBald, Jan-28-06 01:07 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-28-06 03:28 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, 97eclipse97, Jan-28-06 04:45 PM, #19
                                                                                 RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-28-06 05:41 PM, #20
                                                                                      RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, 97eclipse97, Jan-29-06 10:59 AM, #21
                                                                                           RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-29-06 05:33 PM, #22
                                                                                                RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, 97eclipse97, Jan-30-06 03:10 AM, #23
                                                                                                     RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-30-06 08:46 AM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, 97eclipse97, Jan-30-06 09:54 AM, #25
                                                                                                               RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-30-06 02:13 PM, #26
                                                                       RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-28-06 03:27 PM, #17
                                                                            RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, theallpowerfulme, Feb-04-06 08:55 AM, #27
                                                                                 RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!, PowerEclipses, Feb-27-06 06:59 PM, #28

Hult250RJan-20-06 11:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5548, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry... Couldnt resist

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsJan-20-06 11:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#5549, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 1
Jan-20-06 11:24 AM by Jeff_99gs

I hope the donor car was already totalled.

97eclipse97Jan-20-06 05:48 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#5550, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
I hope the donor car was already totalled.

I guess you could say that: http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7875&highlight=red+sled

He parted the whole car out (I have his exhaust and wideband ) so not much was left at by the time Tony got to it.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Hult250RJan-20-06 07:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5551, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-20-06 07:08 PM by Hult250R

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs I hope the donor car was already totalled.
I guess you could say that: http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7875&highlight=red+sled He parted the whole car out (I have his exhaust and wideband ) so not much was left at by the time Tony got to it.

Holy Hell!!!!!

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-20-06 07:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5552, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 4
Jan-20-06 07:27 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by Hult250R
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs I hope the donor car was already totalled.
I guess you could say that: http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7875&highlight=red+sled He parted the whole car out (I have his exhaust and wideband ) so not much was left at by the time Tony got to it.
Holy Hell!!!!!

That thing is spread thin over quite a few people in NEDSM. I am now the pround owner of his gas door and the fiberboard spare tire cover.
I'll post up a link to the pics after I get them to Chris Nichols and he hosts them.
There's video too. Unfortunately, the video I was taking cuts out after the car continues to roll end over end into the truck pulling it.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-20-06 09:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#5553, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 5

Okay good. At least it was already severely damaged before being parted. It has my blessing to be posted now.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-20-06 10:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5554, "RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Okay good. At least it was already severely damaged before being parted. It has my blessing to be posted now.

Oh, it was pretty fucked up.
Insurance Co. totalled it and he bought it back.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-22-06 10:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5555, "AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 7
Jan-22-06 10:02 AM by eclipzGST

donor car before:

if you have a weak stomach, go no further...

donor car after:

ScreaminEJan-22-06 10:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#5556, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 8

Sweet. You guys done a number on the donor car.

Hult250RJan-22-06 10:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5557, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-22-06 10:22 AM by Hult250R

Oh. My. God.

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-22-06 12:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5558, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Hult250R
Oh. My. God.

check out the folder where the pics are hosted and download the .avi file listed in there. It's a video of the car getting flipped over and then starting to roll down the driveway. It cuts out when we all start running though.

BlizareJan-27-06 06:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#5559, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 11

Hey it looks like you left a perfectly good hatch with the glass intact

What a waste

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-27-06 07:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5560, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Blizare
Hey it looks like you left a perfectly good hatch with the glass intact What a waste

Notice the glass is not broken. We took it off before we flipped the car. It's just resting there in the pic. I believe it is now in the garage waiting for a new owner.
We also tried to salvege the other glass but we weren't creful enough.

BlackMagicJan-28-06 08:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#5561, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 13

haha nice video, looked like it was going to hit the truck

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

97eclipse97Jan-28-06 11:43 AM
695 posts,
#5562, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 14

It did! Just did very little damage (just a small dent).

BigBaldJan-28-06 01:07 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#5563, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 15

HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-28-06 03:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5564, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by BigBald
HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.

A little advice, do it on level ground. hehe

97eclipse97Jan-28-06 04:45 PM
695 posts,
#5565, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by BigBald HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.

And watch for the shower of falling objects! (bolts, etc)

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-28-06 05:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5566, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by BigBald HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.
And watch for the shower of falling objects! (bolts, etc)

You don't even know... Watch how much shit falls out in the video.

97eclipse97Jan-29-06 10:59 AM
695 posts,
#5567, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 20

I saw the video that Kenn took while at Matt's on Friday...

Great footage indeed!

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-29-06 05:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5568, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 21

I saw the video that Kenn took while at Matt's on Friday... Great footage indeed!

I think he got the whole thing. I started to run down there. I don't know why. It's not like we could stop it or anything.
I gotta get to one of those dinner meets one of these months. Firefly's has AWESOME food!

97eclipse97Jan-30-06 03:10 AM
695 posts,
#5569, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 22

MMMM Pulled pork! But ya, you definitly need to make it to one of these dinners...

Off topic (as if we weren't already), but why are you selling your car? What's going to be the replacement?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-30-06 08:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5570, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 23

MMMM Pulled pork! But ya, you definitly need to make it to one of these dinners... Off topic (as if we weren't already), but why are you selling your car? What's going to be the replacement?

wow, news travels fast!
This was going to be a surprise, but since the cats already out of the bag, Matt Burns is buying all my mods in return for all his stock parts off the GST he just picked up and she's getting traded in. Lets just say, the replacement will still be a DSM.

97eclipse97Jan-30-06 09:54 AM
695 posts,
#5571, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 24

Good deal. I'm assuming you are going with AWD this time? (cough Evo cough) Looks like this whole thing actually worked out for quite a few people (Scott got a new Evo, I got some parts off of his car (as did many, many others), Matt got the driveline and your mods, and you got the stock parts so that you can upgrade yourself)

It's funny how these things work out...

(And sorry about ruining the surprise!)

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-30-06 02:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5572, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 25

Good deal. I'm assuming you are going with AWD this time? (cough Evo cough) Looks like this whole thing actually worked out for quite a few people (Scott got a new Evo, I got some parts off of his car (as did many, many others), Matt got the driveline and your mods, and you got the stock parts so that you can upgrade yourself) It's funny how these things work out... (And sorry about ruining the surprise!)

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-28-06 03:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5573, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 15

It did! Just did very little damage (just a small dent).

and a little red paint There's a pic of the dent in the folder where the pics are hosted.

theallpowerfulmeFeb-04-06 08:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#5574, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 17

this is exactly how I did mine (except I cut mine in half), rolling the awd car over is the only way to go

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

PowerEclipsesFeb-27-06 06:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#5575, "RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!"
In response to Reply # 27

did he sell those seats outa there? haha

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5547 Previous topic | Next topic