Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectInteresting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=5547
5547, Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I had some fun last night. One of the NEDSM guys picked up a 98 GST DIRT cheap. He then had a TSI AWD rolling shell donated to his project to make the GST AWD.
I got there last night around 8pm and we starting stripping everything left on the AWD donor car we could.
After we finished, we dragged it in the middle of his driveway, threw some tow straps around it and proceeded to use a truck to roll it over onto it's roof.
That made it VERY easy to rip the drivetrain out. Who needs lifts? ;)
I took a bunch of pics and a few short videos of the car rolling over. I'll post a link to where they will be tonight or tomorrow.
5548, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Sorry... Couldnt resist :P
5549, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
:( I hope the donor car was already totalled.
5550, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
:( I hope the donor car was already totalled.

I guess you could say that: http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7875&highlight=red+sled

He parted the whole car out (I have his exhaust and wideband :)) so not much was left at by the time Tony got to it.
5551, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs :( I hope the donor car was already totalled.
I guess you could say that: http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7875&highlight=red+sled He parted the whole car out (I have his exhaust and wideband :)) so not much was left at by the time Tony got to it.

Holy Hell!!!!!
5552, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Originally posted by Hult250R
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs :( I hope the donor car was already totalled.
I guess you could say that: http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7875&highlight=red+sled He parted the whole car out (I have his exhaust and wideband :)) so not much was left at by the time Tony got to it.
Holy Hell!!!!!

That thing is spread thin over quite a few people in NEDSM. I am now the pround owner of his gas door and the fiberboard spare tire cover. ;)
I'll post up a link to the pics after I get them to Chris Nichols and he hosts them.
There's video too. :evilgrin Unfortunately, the video I was taking cuts out after the car continues to roll end over end into the truck pulling it. :whoa
5553, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Okay good. At least it was already severely damaged before being parted. It has my blessing to be posted now. :P
5554, RE: Interesting way to do FWD->AWD swap.
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Okay good. At least it was already severely damaged before being parted. It has my blessing to be posted now. :P

Oh, it was pretty fucked up. :(
Insurance Co. totalled it and he bought it back.
5555, AWD swap: updated with pics!
donor car before:

if you have a weak stomach, go no further...

donor car after:

5556, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sweet. You guys done a number on the donor car.
5557, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Oh. My. God.
5558, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Originally posted by Hult250R
Oh. My. God.

check out the folder where the pics are hosted and download the .avi file listed in there. It's a video of the car getting flipped over and then starting to roll down the driveway. It cuts out when we all start running though.
5559, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey it looks like you left a perfectly good hatch with the glass intact :nono

What a waste :P
5560, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Originally posted by Blizare
Hey it looks like you left a perfectly good hatch with the glass intact :nono What a waste :P

Notice the glass is not broken. ;) We took it off before we flipped the car. It's just resting there in the pic. I believe it is now in the garage waiting for a new owner.
We also tried to salvege the other glass but we weren't creful enough. :evilgrin
5561, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Posted by BlackMagic, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
haha nice video, looked like it was going to hit the truck
5562, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
It did! Just did very little damage (just a small dent).
5563, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Posted by BigBald, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.
5564, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Originally posted by BigBald
HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.

A little advice, do it on level ground. hehe
5565, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by BigBald HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.

And watch for the shower of falling objects! (bolts, etc)
5566, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by BigBald HAHAHA...that is so gangsta. I need to do that to get the rear off my Talon. Thats the only thing left that I need from it.
And watch for the shower of falling objects! (bolts, etc)

You don't even know... ;) Watch how much shit falls out in the video.
5567, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
I saw the video that Kenn took while at Matt's on Friday...

Great footage indeed!
5568, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
I saw the video that Kenn took while at Matt's on Friday... Great footage indeed!

I think he got the whole thing. I started to run down there. I don't know why. It's not like we could stop it or anything.
I gotta get to one of those dinner meets one of these months. Firefly's has AWESOME food! :thumbsup

5569, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
MMMM Pulled pork! But ya, you definitly need to make it to one of these dinners...

Off topic (as if we weren't already), but why are you selling your car? What's going to be the replacement?
5570, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
MMMM Pulled pork! But ya, you definitly need to make it to one of these dinners... Off topic (as if we weren't already), but why are you selling your car? What's going to be the replacement?

wow, news travels fast!
This was going to be a surprise, but since the cats already out of the bag, Matt Burns is buying all my mods in return for all his stock parts off the GST he just picked up and she's getting traded in. Lets just say, the replacement will still be a DSM. ;)

5571, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Good deal. I'm assuming you are going with AWD this time? (cough Evo cough) Looks like this whole thing actually worked out for quite a few people (Scott got a new Evo, I got some parts off of his car (as did many, many others), Matt got the driveline and your mods, and you got the stock parts so that you can upgrade yourself)

It's funny how these things work out...

(And sorry about ruining the surprise!)
5572, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Good deal. I'm assuming you are going with AWD this time? (cough Evo cough) Looks like this whole thing actually worked out for quite a few people (Scott got a new Evo, I got some parts off of his car (as did many, many others), Matt got the driveline and your mods, and you got the stock parts so that you can upgrade yourself) It's funny how these things work out... (And sorry about ruining the surprise!)

;)
5573, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
It did! Just did very little damage (just a small dent).

and a little red paint ;) There's a pic of the dent in the folder where the pics are hosted.
5574, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Posted by theallpowerfulme, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
this is exactly how I did mine (except I cut mine in half), rolling the awd car over is the only way to go
5575, RE: AWD swap: updated with pics!
Posted by PowerEclipses, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
did he sell those seats outa there? haha ;)
I generated this page in 0.016594886779785 seconds, executing 7 queries.