Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48850
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)" Previous topic | Next topic
FotowntalonJan-22-14 09:45 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48850, "Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"

So I decided to start a new project. The company that sells all the materials, has a kit for a "Micromaille Dragonscale Tie". Dragonscale referring to the type of weave, and micromaille referring to the fact of how many tiny ass rings it uses.

Decided to include some photos of the beginning, and also included what the kit says it will look like when done. I am currently 9"in of my desired 18" length *pause for sexual innuendo joke* . This thing was a pain in the ass to learn, took my 3 tries to get the weave down, but now that I got it down so its just rinse repeat. The sheer number of rings makes this thing take forever, about 30 hours in. Finally picking up some speed, but not a whole lot.

The wife and I are thinking about making some extras of these to sell, but more than likely the "fine" instead of the "micro" (takes half the amount of rings due to size). So if anyone is interested let me know. Will be posting updates

Starting out

What the finished product is "suppose" to look like.

Will have to snap a pic tonight of current progress. Takes a lot of time but the micromaille has a really cool feel, very flexible, almost feels like a rough fabric.

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), eclipse420ags, Jan-22-14 02:24 PM, #1
RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), ez, Jan-22-14 08:19 PM, #2
      RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Jan-23-14 09:43 AM, #3
           RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fallen4ng31, Jan-23-14 12:19 PM, #4
                RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Jan-23-14 01:25 PM, #5
                     RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fallen4ng31, Jan-23-14 02:23 PM, #6
                          RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Feb-03-14 08:42 AM, #7
                               RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), ez, Feb-03-14 09:19 PM, #8
                                    RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Feb-05-14 08:53 AM, #9
                                         RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), ModeratorVX100, Feb-08-14 07:08 AM, #10
                                              RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Feb-10-14 02:14 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Feb-19-14 10:17 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), Fotowntalon, Apr-29-14 09:55 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate), dalesmitsu, Apr-30-14 08:31 PM, #14

eclipse420agsJan-22-14 02:24 PM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48851, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn that is legit!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezJan-22-14 08:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#48852, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 1

That is the most kickass tie I've ever seen. I would buy one, depending on how easy it is to actually tie it.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

FotowntalonJan-23-14 09:43 AM
350 posts,
#48857, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 2

For the micromaille I am doing, I would prolly charge $250, I will have close to 60 hours in labor not including cost of materials. I plan on doing a "fine" as opposed to micromaille, slightly larger scales, should cut labor in half, not sure how it will affect appearance. Be looking at $150 for that. The inside ring in this one is black, but can be other colors.

As far as difficulty to "tie" Think of it more as a Necklace. The upper part of the tie, is rolled over chain, to give the illusion of a "knot", and the ends of the "knot" our connected to a chain necklace that will close in the back like a necklace. Hope I am explaining that right.

Want to make sure I can make this thing look nice and legit for myself before I "officially" try to make and sell these.

"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Fallen4ng31Jan-23-14 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#48858, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-23-14 01:11 PM by Fallen4ng31

Working with chain is fun. I've done a couple of tunics and coifs/gorgets over the years for myself and various SCA friends. I've never worked with rings quite that small before though.

You'll have some stiff competition at that price point, though. Unicorn's garden and a few other specialty retailers already sell these. (Ring size is quite a bit larger, though) The price points on those tend to start around $50.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

FotowntalonJan-23-14 01:25 PM
350 posts,
#48859, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 4

And you hit the nail on the head Paul. Size of the ring makes a huge difference. That and of course the complexity of the weave and the material its being made out of all affect price. If I was using a decent size ring, and a standard 4-1 weave I bet I could sell these for like ~$50-60. I have seen Dragonscale bracelets on sales for around 60-$75 (although some reaching double that) price point. Considering I would be doing twice the length of the bracelet on average, along with a "knot" and a chain necklace, I feel the price is fair.

Granted it is a high, price if you do the match labor comes out to ~$3 an hour.

Paul you said you have done tunics and etc, off-topic, but do you have any pics? I am working on a Scalemail vest, this is my first chain project I have done. I find it relaxing, and get to do something I enjoy.

Fallen4ng31Jan-23-14 02:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#48860, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 5

I know I've got some pics at home somewhere, give me some time to dig them up, and I'll post them.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

FotowntalonFeb-03-14 08:42 AM
350 posts,
#48862, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 6

After weeks of back breaking labor (no seriously i feel like an old man with my back, its crazy) I should be done with this project hopefully tonight. Little sneak peak now, the of the beginning of the knot.

ezFeb-03-14 09:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#48863, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 7

I want a whole shirt like that

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

FotowntalonFeb-05-14 08:53 AM
350 posts,
#48864, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-05-14 08:55 AM by Fotowntalon

Without further ado, I present to you

(back of the knot)

ModeratorVX100Feb-08-14 07:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#48871, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 9

If anyone does a slashing attack towards about a 2 inch wide section of the very center of your torso, then you're all set

Seriously, lots of work put into that and it looks cool. Nice work.

I'm trying to think if I need a chain mail anything... nothing comes to mind but if it does I'll let you know.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

FotowntalonFeb-10-14 02:14 PM
350 posts,
#48875, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 10

no one needs anything made of of chainmail (unless you are into armed combat by sword) its more of do you want chainmail? Or scale for that matter. Feel free to like my FB page for more updates and items. www.facebook.com/tieronechain

FotowntalonFeb-19-14 10:17 AM
350 posts,
#48877, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 11

Working on a Blue one now, while training the wife on a red one. Doing these ones in a thicker ring. Still looking nice but wont take nearly as long (sadly does not feel as cool as the original) Feel like I am flying through this one. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested in these beauties . Looking at $140 + shipping for the ones I am doing now (would have to calculate a price for the micromaille/much smaller rings if someone is interested in that). Or let me know if you are interested in some custom work

Guys feel free to like my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TierOneChain . Going to start putting updates on there to keep the forums clutter free. But let me know if you need anything. Ok done plugging myself!

BTW Paul, I do have a black dragonscale bracelet on their, for under $50 =)

FotowntalonApr-29-14 09:55 AM
350 posts,
#48904, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 12

Finally got time to finish the blue one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281318886988?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
I will honor the $140+shipping for you guys, let me know if your interested.

dalesmitsuApr-30-14 08:31 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#48905, "RE: Dragonscale Tie (Medieval Corporate)"
In response to Reply # 13
Apr-30-14 08:48 PM by dalesmitsu

Question, does it Rust??

Look what I just bought, that will go great with this.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48850 Previous topic | Next topic