Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9853
View in linear mode

Subject: "added noise and shakier ride after brake work" Previous topic | Next topic
jZaJun-03-02 02:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9853, "added noise and shakier ride after brake work"

ever since i had my brakes done, i've been hearing more road noise and the ride has been shaky above 70. I also had to replace a lug stud on each rear wheel since my @$$ is too clumsy to operate a lug wrench . So i have a few questions:

is it possible for alignment to be messed up after these jobs(i balanced the wheels but that didn't help).

how about the noise factor, I heard that slotted/drilled rotors add noise but i thought that would only be when braking (anyone know?)
I know my rear tires are rough due to 1 degree neg. camber.

so..

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SEA97GSJun-04-02 02:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
127 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9854, "RE: added noise and shakier ride after brake work"
In response to Reply # 0

When you got the brakes done, were the rotors turned? Or did you just install new brake pads? If you just installed new pads, chances are you have a warped rotor that's causing the vibration.

97 Eclipse GS-15.463@88.57MPH - RIP
92 Talon TSi AWD-12.927@105.47MPH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezJun-04-02 07:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#9855, "RE: added noise and shakier ride after brake work"
In response to Reply # 1

It sounds like there is something wrong with the wheels/tires. Did they do a dynamic balance or a static balance - you may have to get them balanced again, because this happened to me once. When I got new rims/tires the ride was very shaky at 65+mph and this was after they were balanced, so they did a different kind of balance and then everything was fine.

New brakes shouldn't add to road noise. I have cross drilled slotted and there is no new noise from them. In fact it sounds quieter when I actually brake (must be because the old stockers were warped and shook everything) The noise and shaking of your car over 70+ points to wheels or tires. It would only be brakes if you saw these things under braking.

Oh, I have a question for you jza, in case you didn't see it in the audio section. I looked for closed cell foam on mcmaster.com and can't find it. Do you have the product #?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

jZaJun-04-02 10:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#9856, "RE: added noise and shakier ride after brake work"
In response to Reply # 2

I had all the rotors replaced, not sure what kind of balancing they did, but they did the balancing when I initially got the new tires and it road great so I'm really starting to think its the tires, I had rotated them with the brake job for the first time, after that i balanced them and the guy who did the work said i should put them back how they were (before the rotation) since the two that were origianlly in the back were "choppy", so i did, the ride was better after this but its still feels kinda crappy.

ez, i'll look for a part number and put it in the audio section.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9853 Previous topic | Next topic