Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8323
View in linear mode

Subject: "What's the difference between toe and camber?" Previous topic | Next topic
SonicYanApr-04-02 08:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8323, "What's the difference between toe and camber?"

Sorry, really don't know that much on car terms. I know that if u have negative camber, ur tires look like / \. But what is toe then? I was just reading RRE's site about the camber kit. There was this sentence, saying what really cleans out the inside of ur tires is if ur tires are toeing out. Well, my toes are pretty much ok. Its the camber I'm worried about. I have -1.7 in the left and -1.3 on the right. So I'm still debating if I should get the camber kit from RRE, or just rotate the tires more often then. Thanks for the info...

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-04-02 09:24 AM, #1
RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, AvengerES97, Apr-04-02 12:57 PM, #2
      RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, SonicYan, Apr-04-02 02:27 PM, #3
           RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-04-02 04:14 PM, #4
                RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, Ryan_RS, Apr-04-02 05:28 PM, #5
                     RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, SonicYan, Apr-04-02 06:11 PM, #6
                          RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-05-02 01:01 AM, #7

TeamXtremeRSApr-04-02 09:24 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8324, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 0

You are right on what camber is, but toe is the left/right positioning of the tire/wheel that will coincide with the other side wheel. By lowering, or having a lot of negative camber, it brings the toe outward, or the tire points out with the steering wheel straight. My front toe was WAY off with my 2" drop, esp after i put in the ingalls camber kit.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AvengerES97Apr-04-02 12:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
167 posts,
#8325, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah the camber kit also threw my toe off bad. They front tires were pointing in opposite directions so bad, they actually squeeled the whole time they were moving.

Chris Jones
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 5spd

Chris Jones
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 5spd
"Racing Your Honda Is Like Running In The Special Olympics.....Even If You Win You're Still Retarded!!!

SonicYanApr-04-02 02:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#8326, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ok...I still don't get it. So the degree of negative camber is proportional to how much your tires are toed out then? How come my toes were normal after I had it aligned but my camber is still off then?

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT

TeamXtremeRSApr-04-02 04:14 PM
6329 posts,
#8327, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Ok...I still don't get it. So the degree of negative camber
>is proportional to how much your tires are toed out then?
>How come my toes were normal after I had it aligned but my
>camber is still off then?

Yes and no. Negative camber means your wheels look like this; /\
When you drop the car, the toe goes negative on each wheel, or the wheel points inward very slightly, more or less depending on the drop. My camber after my drop was off pretty bad, it was like -1.6, and -1.3 on the front. Now toe is related to camber since toe will change as all of the alignment/suspension componets when driving. A constantly moving suspension means constant changes in suspension geometry. Now when you put on a camber kit, it brings the front top control arm back outward, away from the engine bay. By moving the top control arm outward, the bottom of the wheel doesn't move inward, it cant because its connected to the tierods which steer the car. So the bottom of the wheel/suspension setup cannot move inward, since its all connected to the tie rods, ect..So now the wheel has the only choise of movement which is to go outward, or to the left. Its kinda hard to explain how this all works, but when you have the wheel off, you can just look at the whole suspension setup, and figure out how it really works. I hope this helps explain this some..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Ryan_HesApr-04-02 05:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#8328, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 4

||---|| Good camber, view from behind
||---|| Good toe, view from above

//---\\ Bad camber, view from behind

\\---// Bad toe, view from above

(diagrams are exagerated)

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

SonicYanApr-04-02 06:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#8329, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok, I think I've got it. So if negative camber points ur tires inward, then will excessive positive camber point ur tires outward then? And, will this be the same effect as having negative toes? Hehe, sorry about the questions. Just trying to make sense of it. Well, the bottom line is this then: Get the front camber kit or not? Hehe, this is the point that I was just trying to get across. My toes are ok and my camber is off. I just wanna know how long my tires will last if I rotate them as scheduled. I'm still waiting on RRE to put me in their waiting list. But its taking too long though. Any SoCal people know where I could get a front camber kit at around the same price as Road Race? They're online ad says its 110 for the entire front. I don't think there's anything out there as cheap as this. But that's ok. As long as I could get it installed in one day cuz this is my daily driver. Thanks for the help and the explanations, for those who replied. Its making a little more sense now...

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT

TeamXtremeRSApr-05-02 01:01 AM
6329 posts,
#8330, "RE: What's the difference between toe and camber?"
In response to Reply # 6

You got what camber is, and toe isn't too much pos camber, its the left/right positioning of the wheel. Like when you steer the steering wheel, the tires move left to right, that's toe. Too much neg camber will destory your tires within several months if off really bad. Incorrect toe will also, but it will have a greater effect on how the front end handles. After i put on my camber kit, my toe was way off, i could have the steering wheel pointd perfectly straigh, and the front tires were like this \/ (as if you were looking at the car from directly above it, not the side) but not as much as that really looks there. The steering was all out of whack, pulled, felt loose, and the steering wheel woudl kick back when i went over bumps. NOt good. With front and rear camber kits, I got a good alignment and now my alignment is right within factory specs. IF you get the front camber kit and put that in, it WILL make your toe go off, even if its now in spec.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8323 Previous topic | Next topic