Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8019
View in linear mode

Subject: "Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804Mar-27-02 09:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8019, "Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"

Hey guys, do you think powerslot rotors are even worth the 150. Mike @ RRE says to go for the big brake kits (like AEM which are 380). He said with such tiny stock rotors, it's kinda a waste to just get replacements in the same size hehe. Obviously they are a lot more into road racing and performance than I am, but do you guys think the power slots are even worth it, or if I might as well just resurface my stock rotors which don't seem to be warped.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, iamnotwhoiam, Mar-27-02 09:29 AM, #1
RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Teameclipse804, Mar-27-02 09:48 AM, #2
      RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Moderatorjuan, Mar-27-02 10:33 AM, #3
           RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, thisismygs, Mar-27-02 10:44 AM, #4
           RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Marctronixx, Mar-27-02 03:58 PM, #5
           RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, eclipsekaiser, Mar-27-02 05:17 PM, #6
                RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, ModeratorVX100, Mar-28-02 01:46 AM, #7
                RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Moderatorjuan, Mar-28-02 05:48 AM, #8
                     RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, flossinpnoyracer, Mar-28-02 07:01 AM, #9
                     RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, eclipsekaiser, Mar-28-02 09:29 AM, #10
                          RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Teameclipse804, Mar-28-02 09:32 AM, #11
                               RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, eclipsekaiser, Mar-28-02 08:24 PM, #17
                                    RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Teameclipse804, Mar-28-02 08:55 PM, #18
                                         RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, eclipsekaiser, Mar-29-02 11:49 AM, #19
RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, gzrs99, Mar-28-02 01:45 PM, #12
RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, Teameclipse804, Mar-28-02 02:47 PM, #13
      RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, ToTaLEkLyPz99, Mar-28-02 04:56 PM, #14
RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, jdeyo, Mar-28-02 05:57 PM, #15
RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, HadesOmega, Mar-28-02 08:14 PM, #16
      RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?, IntenseEclipse, Mar-30-02 05:04 PM, #20

iamnotwhoiamMar-27-02 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8020, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 0

just get some bremo slotted and drilled rotors.. and new pads from ARD for like 320, (thats for all 4 wheels btw) i believe(email for current prices).. unless you want bigger rotors.. you could even go with the gsx twin piston calipers and the larger rotors that go along with them.. thats what im going to do..

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teameclipse804Mar-27-02 09:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#8021, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 1

That's a really good price! I sell the brembos too, but personally won't use them because they are cross-drilled and tend to crack more easily after a while. The good thing about the AEM's is that even though they are cross-drilled, if you get them through RRE, they usually can get AEM to warranty any problems with the rotors.

PowerSlot will also take care of most problems with their slotted rotors, so my main debate is between Powerslot stock size rotors, resurfacing my stock rotors (cheapest), or AEM big brakes (harder to install and costs a lot more though).

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

ModeratorjuanMar-27-02 10:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#8022, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm quite happy with my AEM FWD brake upgrade. My braking control is much superior than before with stock calipers and MetalMasters. I do have the rear upgrades too, but the fronts only is good too.

RRE's price is better than anywhere else on the web that I have seen. Install shouldn't be too bad (AEM installed mine, but I did the rears on my own). If you can install struts, you can do the brakes.

I have yet to see any cracking on my rotors, and I am not exactly easy on the brakes. Its a little pricier overall (remember you will still want new pads), I think the added contol is well worth it. Big brakes separate the racers from the ricers, IMO...

juan

thisismygsMar-27-02 10:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#8023, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 3

speaking from my own experience with the powerslots, they REALLY improved my braking power. however, i did change the rotors and the brake pads at the same time (which was when my pads were almost metal on metal). but you'll be happy with the powerslots if you decide to go that route.

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

MarctronixxMar-27-02 03:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
571 posts,
#8024, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 4

ive had powerslots and axxis metal master pads on the clipse for a couple of years and i love them. i agre with the last poster, you wont regret them and will feel the braking power over the stock ones..

eclipsekaiserMar-27-02 05:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8025, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 3

How did you go abot bleed the brakes Juan??? i really like how your's is set up. hell it looks mean through the K-1 wheels.

Marcus, let me know what you decide to do. I need to change my brakes as well. With the turbo kit on, I'm getting massive brake fad at 100mph.. I guess it is time to pitch the stock brake and pads. they been on since I bought the car back in january of 97 (that is about 54,000 miles) yikes.

kaiser

-K-

ModeratorVX100Mar-28-02 01:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#8026, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 6

I've got the powerslots and porterfield r4s pads, and the car does brake better (I know, it's saved my butt nce or twice!)

I know it won't be the same as a big brake upgrade, but it's defenitely worth it, especially since the stock rotors suck so bad they will warp, it's just a matter of time

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

ModeratorjuanMar-28-02 05:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#8027, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 6

I used one of those MityVac units. They cost $30-40, but you can bleed any hydraulic system by yourself. I think most people should bleed their brakes and change the fluid more often than they do, especially if they live in high-humidity areas (not SoCal though .

juan

flossinpnoyracerMar-28-02 07:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#8028, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 8

i personally love my slots got rid of that pumping action going over 100mph

jess make sure u change brake fluid and pads

i got them for 100 shipped at car parts when tehy had that 30%off thingy which i think they dont do it anymore

1999 GST

1997 RS

eclipsekaiserMar-28-02 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8029, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 8

Cool I'll swing by Harbour to see if they have one.

what Fluids did you use? Ford Blue, redline...etc?

kaiser

-K-

Teameclipse804Mar-28-02 09:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#8030, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 10

Valvoline Syntec brake fluid is what RRE recommends and both Ian and Juan use (from what Ian told me). I also heard you can rent the MityVac for free (refundable deposit) at autozone. Is that right?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

eclipsekaiserMar-28-02 08:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8031, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 11

I'll look into it and see if we can make it a weekend project one day.
MArcus, have you decided to go AEM big brake or Powerslot, I think I'll go the power slot, metal master or KVR pad route.

still not sure.

kaiser

-K-

Teameclipse804Mar-28-02 08:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#8032, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 17

Hey Kaiser, it's not free to rent the mity vac, but you can buy it for 30 bucks. Me and Eric C are actually going to do our's this weekend with Ian's help. Let me know if you wanna come help us out hehe. I am hoping to get the powerslot rotors from RRE.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

eclipsekaiserMar-29-02 11:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8033, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 18

maybe next time, I thought ya'll was going to plan that for future. Didn't know it was this weekend. Oh well.

I'll definitely give you or Eric a Holler when I do decide to do mine. Let me know how it turn out.

kaiser

-K-

gzrs99Mar-28-02 01:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
108 posts,
#8034, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 0

One question when purchasing the big brakes from let say AEM. Does the kit contain parts that would allow direct conversion to drum to disk or do you have to convert to disk first then install the big upgrade????

Teameclipse804Mar-28-02 02:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#8035, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 12

I think you can directly use the big brake rear upgrade, but you WILL need extra parts not included to convert. But no, you don't need to convert to stock rotors first, since the big brake kit replaces that.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

ToTaLEkLyPz99Mar-28-02 04:56 PM
Member since Jan 30th 2002
1282 posts,
#8036, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 13

i just got my powerslots today what break pads should i use i cant wait to get them put on they are gonna look hott..

jdeyoMar-28-02 05:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
197 posts,
#8037, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 0

I went with Power Slots and Axxis pads, plus the stainless steel brake lines from RRE. My whole package (all 4) cost a little over $500 and it was worth every penny. The braking performance improved and I do not have to worry about wearing out the rotors and pads as easily as the stock ones. Plus, the stainless steel brake lines are beautiful, they install great and perform great. When you have to mash the brake pedal, you know you are stopping much faster. My car stops from 60 much faster than it can accelerate to 60.

-Jared
96 GS
Melbourne, FL

Iceman CAI | RS*R Cat-Back | AFX Pully | Milled Head 10:1 CR | MP 60mm TB

HadesOmegaMar-28-02 08:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#8038, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 15

Hmm well I have stock rotors and metal master pads and they're great. I rarely fade them only when I left foot brake at really high speed. I want the ultimate braking though, I'm starting a brake project.

So far I have some 3000GT SL caliper brackets and I just cleaned and painted them. Apparently Mitsu graveyard lost one of the calipers I ordered and are looking for another one. Anyway what I plan to do is do the big brake upgrade (junkyard version that is), upgrade to SS lines, get RSversion front rotors, upgrade the rear rotors (they're warped), and change my fluid out to DOT 5.1 . Then I will have awesome service free brakes. Gonna cost me though I've spent 80 bux for the calipers and brackets so far.

Other stuff is:
SS lines 80
rotors 70
Rear rotors ???? probably around 80-100
Brake fluid 50 bux
Pads 20 bux (already got some mitsu ones with the shims )

so it'll wind up costing me around 400 bux to do a complete brake overhaul. Probably buy a SS clutchline while I'm at it, I was checkin the clutch reservoir and man its dirty looking!

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

IntenseEclipseMar-30-02 05:04 PM
Member since Feb 09th 2002
126 posts,
#8039, "RE: Are PowerSlots even worth it? Or big brakes?"
In response to Reply # 16

What exactly does stainless steel brake lines do?

don't feel like typing a list!
white 98 gs

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8019 Previous topic | Next topic