Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3863
View in linear mode

Subject: "Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..." Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-01 04:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3863, "Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."

EVER!!! attempt to install a full set of Energy Suspension's Urethane suspension bushings. Granted, it's one of the best possible things you can do for your hadling, but ugghh.. It SUCKS. Those stock bushings are a MOTHA to get out, even with a 12 TON hydralic press. The new ones aren't exactly easy to put in, either.

Here's my thoughts: If you want it, don't do it. If you do it, pay someone else to install it for you.

Or hope you're a member of Houston 2GNT and can talk all of us into pulling two 10+ hour days ripping your suspension out, pressing out the old bushings, pressing the new ones it, and reassembling everything your car has attached to the wheels.

Not fun. We're still not done. Ugghh..

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, click HERE:
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/
No MP3 for YOU!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., rsjourney95, Nov-03-01 05:33 PM, #1
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., Fast420A, Nov-04-01 05:15 AM, #2
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-04-01 11:42 AM, #5
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., TeamStan2gnt, Nov-04-01 10:23 AM, #3
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-04-01 11:40 AM, #4
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-04-01 12:26 PM, #6
      RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-04-01 01:09 PM, #7
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., madregal, Nov-05-01 07:53 AM, #8
RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-05-01 08:31 AM, #9
      RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., HadesOmega, Nov-05-01 01:13 PM, #10
      RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-05-01 02:36 PM, #12
      RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-05-01 01:16 PM, #11
           RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., koolade9, Nov-06-01 05:17 PM, #13
                RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-06-01 05:26 PM, #14
                RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-07-01 01:30 AM, #15
                     RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., koolade9, Nov-07-01 06:00 AM, #16
                          RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., Erik, Nov-07-01 09:26 AM, #17
                          RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-07-01 01:06 PM, #18
                          RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-07-01 05:19 PM, #19
                               RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., koolade9, Nov-08-01 03:45 AM, #20
                                    RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-08-01 04:56 AM, #21
                                         RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., RAIZIN, Nov-09-01 05:25 PM, #22
                                              RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-09-01 08:25 PM, #23
                                              RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-09-01 08:29 PM, #24
                                                   RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., RAIZIN, Nov-09-01 09:04 PM, #25
                                                        RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-10-01 07:02 AM, #26

rsjourney95Nov-03-01 05:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
33 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3864, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 0

sorry to hear that Dino, I know its off the topic but when you did your engine rebuild, what type of sealant did you use in your bedplate to block?? I just overhauled my engine and the only problem is its leaking oil right on top of the oil filter, in between the bedplate and now I have to rip everything apart and redo it again! And I've read your manual and it says to use loctite ######?? I used 'the right stuff' in mines cause some punkass stole my mopar RTV that day so I dunno if that made a difference or not....PLEASE, any advice is appreciated..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Fast420ANov-04-01 05:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#3865, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 0

Is it really that bad? I was going to get them and install them myself. I heard using a torch to remove the old ones helps a lot.

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

All Motor Beast in need of MAJOR TUNING

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

iamnotwhoiamNov-04-01 11:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3866, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 2

yes you can do it yourself, but you will need to account for much down time.. plus you will need a press or someone to press in the new bushings.. and yes you can burn them out but you will have to hacksaw out the metal ring on the inside of the joint.

-Jason

95 GS

short air ram - custom grill - removed front license plate - custom stereo system - 2 Kenwood 10's powered by Kenwood amp - Hiper Blue Headlights - F&R Upper Strut Bars - 2 fan mod

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

TeamStan2gntNov-04-01 10:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#3867, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 0

Damn Dino I thought everyone already knew its the most Gawd awful process you can do on your own. I wouldn't think of it. Hell I wouldn't even press in offset front camber bushings much less a whole set. I dont think I could even if I wanted to. I bet it'll be sharp as hell when your done though.

http://stan2gnt.homestead.com/home.html
Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon 420A-Turbo
Former and future nitrous user

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

iamnotwhoiamNov-04-01 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3868, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 0

oh baby... but it rides so good now.. Thanks Dino and Everyone else that helped out on the bushings.. you almost dont need any shocks with these babys in..

a good mod for a 6yr old suspension...

-Jason

95 GS

short air ram - custom grill - removed front license plate - custom stereo system - 2 Kenwood 10's powered by Kenwood amp - Hiper Blue Headlights - F&R Upper Strut Bars - 2 fan mod - Energy Suspension Bushings

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-04-01 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3869, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 4

Welcome...

Too bad it was your car and not mine

If ya ever get tired of it, i'll give you my entire suspension for yours!

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, click HERE:
No MP3 for YOU!

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

iamnotwhoiamNov-04-01 01:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3870, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 6

you silly...

i have noticed that the ride is a little springy, by very slightly.. i like very much. I cant wait to go start driving it hard and of course once i pop on my hrc stage I when i get the money..

-Jason

95 GS

Short-air ram - custom grill - removed front license plate - custom stereo system - 2 Kenwood 10's powered by Kenwood amp - Hiper Blue Headlights - F&R Upper Strut Bars - 2 fan mod - Energy Suspension Bushings

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

madregalNov-05-01 07:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#3871, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 0

i had a guy at the mitsu dealer install the front ones for $20.

he didnt install the other pair though.. i think it goes by the engine bay wall.

GS AT: NGK BKR5E-11 Plugs : Accel Wires : AEM Short Stack: GS-T Exhaust : AFX underdrive pulley : RRE Front Lower Bar: Tenzo Front Upper Bar : Tenzo Rear Lower Bar : Tenzo Rear Upper Bar : Energy Suspension Engine Mounts

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-05-01 08:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3872, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 8

You're thinking of the motor mount inserts.

This was a set of every bushing in the entire suspension minus two. And it's no fun to do. There's about 50 in all.

No MP3 for YOU!

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

HadesOmegaNov-05-01 01:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#3873, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 9

Yes have heard the same hehe... I haven't changed mine yet, I think mine will last a while. So how does it handle now?

Grrr it's gonna eat you up!
AFX Pulley | Autometer Bezel Gauge Holder | Modified A/F Ratio Gauge | B&M Super Oil Cooler | Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings | JAZ Oil Catchcan | 3" Magnaflow Muffler | 3" Car Sound Catalytic Converter | 3" Downpipe-back piping | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | HKS Standard Blow off Valve | HKS TYPE 1 Turbo Timer | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | Starion Front Mount Intercooler | Schroth Autocontrol 3-Point Harness | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |
Performance b4 Lookz, a car can only be as fast as it's driver! ^_^

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

iamnotwhoiamNov-05-01 02:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3874, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 10

so far i havent really done any real testing but so far it feels so much better... a little bouncy but the bushings seem to act like shocks/struts.. and help the ride out considerably.. soon come the new tokico illuminas

if i cant have speed then let there be control.

-Jason

95 GS

Short-air ram - custom grill - removed front license plate - custom stereo system - 2 Kenwood 10's powered by Kenwood amp - Hiper Blue Headlights - F&R Upper Strut Bars - 2 fan mod - Energy Suspension Bushings

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

TeamMichael_97RSNov-05-01 01:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3875, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 9

This MAY be a next winter project for me. This winter is Rear Drum to Disc swap and a bunch of minor stuff to tear apart.

Winter would be good I can tear into it little by little and not get the itch to drive around since the gorund is covered in snow.

But year it's going to be a bitch. May be lookign for weekend volunteers when I do it.

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All Motor Beast in the Making

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

koolade9Nov-06-01 05:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3876, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 11

yeah, I do just about everything to the car....

but I wasn't about to touch that.

had them done by a shop for $260, and had my car back the same day. just PLEASE do yourself a favor and have them put antiseize on every bolt they remove.....trust me!

TeamMichael_97RSNov-06-01 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3877, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 13

Hell sounds like a good price... might have to take a road trip. Hey, Blake... When you get the turbo I drop the car off we work on the turbo then pick her up...

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

iamnotwhoiamNov-07-01 01:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3878, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 13

did the bolts back out on you or something.. i guess i better check mine..

-Jason

95 GS

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

koolade9Nov-07-01 06:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3879, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 15

they didn't back out, but a few of the bolts were siezed up and I sheared a few of em off when I started taking everything apart. I've come to love that little can of antisieze now.

no problem micheal, I'm on track to have the kit right around late january/early february. the place I had em done at was here in peoria, but there's a shop right by my house in manteno that does good work.

ErikNov-07-01 09:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#3880, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 16

Hey save yourself a headache and get a great air hammer/chisel. We have a press at the shop but the hammer(a little slower) works just the same. Hope one day I can afford to put some bushings in. Good luck finishing.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

iamnotwhoiamNov-07-01 01:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3881, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 17

finishing?... its already done..

-Jason

95 GS

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

TeamMichael_97RSNov-07-01 05:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3882, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 16

Yeah, keep me updated on the kit, and if you get a chance check with the shop by you on what they charge to install. May just do struts and springs at the same time and save the extra dough in alignment etc.

Firefly:

koolade9Nov-08-01 03:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
#3883, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 19

no problem....

I can do the struts no problem. you still lookin into orderin RM swaybars? I know you liked em:)

we can do those too...

TeamMichael_97RSNov-08-01 04:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3884, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 20

Yeah struts and springs aren't a problem. I do want the RM sway bars, I just don't see me having money for all that by Jan/Feb. And I need all the hardware to add arear bar.

Ahhh not enough money for what I want...

Firefly:

RAIZINNov-09-01 05:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
#3885, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 21

Jason.. glad they worked out for you. I knew you'd like'em. Sorry it took so long for it to get to you.. although I have no explanation as to why..

Peace.

iamnotwhoiamNov-09-01 08:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3886, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 22

heck.. im just glad i got them and got them installed already..

thanks man

-Jason

95 GS

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-09-01 08:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3887, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 22

Rick, bro.. I know i'm speaking for Jason here, it's all good.

I really wish ya just coulda made 'em listen.. That install was NO FUN.

Good experience, tho. I'd enjoy the heck out of it if it were mine!

No MP3 for YOU!
Somehow, the Proud Owner of not-your.biz

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

RAIZINNov-09-01 09:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
#3888, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 24

Jason.. did you put the shifter ones in too?

iamnotwhoiamNov-10-01 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#3889, "RE: Oh dear god.. Don't EVER..."
In response to Reply # 25

yep.. i put those in the first day.. shifts seem more precise and such..

-Jason

95 GS

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3863 Previous topic | Next topic