Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33323
View in linear mode

Subject: "18 inch wheels with lowering springs" Previous topic | Next topic
xrac3rxJun-22-11 09:26 AM
Member since Oct 31st 2010
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33323, "18 inch wheels with lowering springs"

I,m sure this has been covered before, but i cant seem to find a definite answer. I just threw on a set of Kosei 18" rims with 225/40 tires. The fender gap is still just to much, so I am thinking about a suspension drop. How much lower can i go? The back tire is already so close that I can't even get my pinky finger between the tire and the upper part of the spindle that connects to the upper control arm. Maybe i can't go lower without wheel spacers. I just don't like the idea of the rims sticking out any farther.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, Wes Tank, Jun-22-11 09:30 AM, #1
RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-22-11 09:53 AM, #2
      RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, xrac3rx, Jun-22-11 11:09 AM, #3
           RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-22-11 12:27 PM, #4
RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, 2EclipseGSs, Jun-22-11 12:48 PM, #5
RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, xrac3rx, Jun-22-11 02:08 PM, #6
      RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-22-11 02:15 PM, #7
           RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, 2ndGen-ElTalon, Jun-25-11 03:47 PM, #8
                RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, xrac3rx, Jun-26-11 09:53 AM, #9
                     RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, ez, Jun-26-11 08:39 PM, #10
                          RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, xiDsmmanix, Jul-23-11 09:08 PM, #11
RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, esiMonster, Sep-21-11 01:56 PM, #12
RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs, JoshDSM, Sep-21-11 06:41 PM, #13

Wes TankJun-22-11 09:30 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33324, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 0

That area with the back wheel doesn't matter as long as it is already clearing. It's part of the suspension and moves up and down with the wheel.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Jun-22-11 09:53 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33325, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowering springs do not affect the tire to knuckle clearance.

---

2012 2500HD LML

xrac3rxJun-22-11 11:09 AM
29 posts,
#33326, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 2

okay thanks. Well what about clearance on the front? (turning radius). How low do you think? 1.5"...2". I know it depends on offset and all that stuff.

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-22-11 12:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#33327, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 3

Buy a set of Eibach Pro-Kits and put em on. Something with roughly a 1.5" drop. You'll be fine. Any lower and you're pushing it.

I contributed to the Wiki.

2EclipseGSsJun-22-11 12:48 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2011
2 posts,
#33328, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 0

I have my car on a set of Goldline springs lowers it 2". It looks perfect, the only thing is all the extra stress you put on the lower ball joints & half shafts in front(have replaced these 2 times since 2008). Make damn sure you get camber kits for both front & rear, if not this low will eat tires up in one season. After doing this, I don't recommend this to anyone for an everyday driver(like I'm currently doing).

As Aaron mentioned earlier get the Eibach pro kit it lowers it 1.2". That is what I got for my next build.

xrac3rxJun-22-11 02:08 PM
29 posts,
#33329, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 5

Right, 1.5 inch is what i was thinking. So you think at even 1.5 I will need the camber kit front and rear? I'll probably get them anyway...Those low-pro's where not cheap.

AdministratorCODE4Jun-22-11 02:15 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33330, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 6

Anytime you alter the suspension geometry, you need to change the camber and toe. Does not matter if it is a 0.5" drop or 3" drop.

---

2012 2500HD LML

2ndGen-ElTalonJun-25-11 03:47 PM
Member since May 26th 2010
88 posts,
#33334, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by CODE4
Anytime you alter the suspension geometry, you need to change the camber and toe. Does not matter if it is a 0.5" drop or 3" drop.

The Truth, otherwise, if you end up with too low of a drop than expected, you're just dragging your rear tires. They eat up quick, mostly freeway/highway imo.

It doesn't take much of a lowering to throw the toe/camber out of whack. After you choose your route, just get an alignment to be safe. Oh yeah, low pro's don't sit well on a 2G if your lower than 1.75-2". Just a thought.

Originally posted by 740TurboBrick

"Dsms run on Gasoline, DSMers run on Alcohol...Id bring a tank to refuel the DSMers..."

xrac3rxJun-26-11 09:53 AM
29 posts,
#33335, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 8

Yea well I got the Eibach springs and they are 1.6" front and rear I believe. I knew I would have to get it aligned, it needs it anyway. I was just waiting to get the springs.

Just wasn't sure if I would have to get the camber kit for the front and back, or if i should get the regular camber kit or if I could just get adjustable ball joints. I think the ball joints would be cheaper.

ezJun-26-11 08:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#33336, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 9

This is all stuff that was covered by the forum about 10 years back. But since the news is so ancient now, the bottom line is: with prokits, you don't need a front camber kit. Just do the cheap 15-20 dollar mod for the rear.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

xiDsmmanixJul-23-11 09:08 PM
Member since May 10th 2010
39 posts,
#33361, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 10

I have a 2 inch drop with 18's. You'll need to roll your fenders so it doesn't rub though.

esiMonsterSep-21-11 01:56 PM
Member since May 18th 2011
13 posts,
#33413, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 0

I dropped mine 2" and its fine with my Motegi mr7 18's on it vut i used a 225/35 instead of a 225/40 on the front

GOD CREATED BOOST LAG TO GIVE V8'S A CHANCE

JoshDSMSep-21-11 06:41 PM
Member since Aug 29th 2010
69 posts,
#33414, "RE: 18 inch wheels with lowering springs"
In response to Reply # 12

I dropped mine with sportlines and ran a 18inch rims with 225/40 with i believe a 38 or 45 offset. The backs cleared perfect and the fronts rubbed a little. They rubbed on my inner fender linings alot(may be just because there loose) IMO go with 17s they will be lighter and suit the car better.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33323 Previous topic | Next topic