Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33100
View in linear mode

Subject: "Front end noise" Previous topic | Next topic
austin14Dec-06-10 04:41 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2010
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33100, "Front end noise"

I have been coming on this website for almost 6 months reading and learning. I bought my son a 98 talon esi last October, the car seemed to be in good condition but the ***hole I bought it from failed to mention that the upper control arm was about to fall off. I fixed that issue then it spun a bearing, I am in the process of building a low compression motor with stage 2 hahn turbo setup, I am planning on putting the motor in his car over his winter break. He came home the other day and the car has a noise coming from the driverside front end it sounds like its the strut squeeking but it makes the sound the whole time it is turning to the left and a little less when turning to the right. I know it is not the control arm problem because we cut out part of the stut tower and welded a new piece in. I am assuming it is the strut being blown because it didnt start until it got cold out. I am only asking Id hate to spend the money for suspension with the cost for the motor swap coming in a couple weeks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Front end noise, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-06-10 08:35 PM, #1
RE: Front end noise, austin14, Dec-06-10 09:19 PM, #2
      RE: Front end noise, eclipserstturbo, Dec-07-10 12:30 AM, #3
           RE: Front end noise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-07-10 10:27 AM, #4
                RE: Front end noise, Ebster1085, Dec-07-10 11:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Front end noise, VendorRed90Sev, Dec-07-10 11:39 AM, #6
                          RE: Front end noise, dalesmitsu, Dec-07-10 10:34 PM, #7
                               RE: Front end noise, megaskillz, Dec-07-10 11:13 PM, #8
                               RE: Front end noise, austin14, Dec-08-10 07:31 AM, #9
RE: Front end noise, thakid22, Dec-15-10 02:11 AM, #10
RE: Front end noise, electrohead, Dec-17-10 02:37 AM, #11
      RE: Front end noise, austin14, Dec-20-10 11:00 AM, #12

AdministratorCODE4Dec-06-10 08:35 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33101, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 0

So it squeaks while the steering wheel is turned? If the wheel is held in place does it still squeak? Does the noise happen when the suspension is in travel or also when on level pavement? Need more info here.

I would suggest checking your ball joints and tie rod end for damaged boots and possible corrosion. If you have a serviceable outer tie rod, make sure it is greased well.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

austin14Dec-06-10 09:19 PM
7 posts,
#33102, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 1

When the car is sitting still I can push down on the front end with my hand and it makes that squawk sound like the strut is weak same sound when driving turning the wheel just for a longer period of time. We took the wheel off and looked but didnt see any damage also put the car on stands and set a floor jack under lower control arm and jacked it up and down, no sound everything moved smoothly.

eclipserstturboDec-07-10 12:30 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#33104, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 2

Sounds like a ball joint to me. May be wrong but if you put a floor jack under the control arm and jacked it up and turned the wheel and didn't get a noise, maybe it's because the weight of the car is off of the joint. Same thing on mom's grand marquis, until it broke and the wheel passed her as she went into the ditch.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-07-10 10:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33105, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 3

Could be power steering related...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Ebster1085Dec-07-10 11:19 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#33106, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 4

I tend to think it is a ball joint or some other suspension component. If it was power steering related, I would imagine that with the car sitting still and the wheel fully cranked, it would still make this noise.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

VendorRed90SevDec-07-10 11:39 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
#33107, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 5

I had a similar issue on a 97 car my buddy had, we would push down on the car as if it were squeaking from the suspension, but it turned out to be a loose front motor mount. Not saying that's what it is, but you never know, might as well check.

dalesmitsuDec-07-10 10:34 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#33108, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 6

Does your steering wheel shake/vibrate while driving? Is treads on your tires good also?

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

megaskillzDec-07-10 11:13 PM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#33109, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 7

It could be balljoint or worn bushings also. I had a similar problem with mine everytime I hit a bump or turn the wheel to the right I would hear a squeak. Be sure to check bushings in your control arms for cracks and wear. Check the upper arm also. Its easy to associate the noise with struts when it could be the upper control arm.

austin14Dec-08-10 07:31 AM
7 posts,
#33110, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 7

No vibration no tread wear. I went ahead and ordered new lower control arms I already replaced the upper when I fixed the strut tower. The more I thought about it, everything is more and likely wore out do to the issue with the strut tower.

thakid22Dec-15-10 02:11 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
#33139, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by austin14
I have been coming on this website for almost 6 months reading and learning. I bought my son a 98 talon esi last October, the car seemed to be in good condition but the ***hole I bought it from failed to mention that the upper control arm was about to fall off. I fixed that issue then it spun a bearing, I am in the process of building a low compression motor with stage 2 hahn turbo setup, I am planning on putting the motor in his car over his winter break. He came home the other day and the car has a noise coming from the driverside front end it sounds like its the strut squeeking but it makes the sound the whole time it is turning to the left and a little less when turning to the right. I know it is not the control arm problem because we cut out part of the stut tower and welded a new piece in. I am assuming it is the strut being blown because it didnt start until it got cold out. I am only asking Id hate to spend the money for suspension with the cost for the motor swap coming in a couple weeks.

Ball joints make a springy, scratchy noise if they are worn. Check out some youtube videos of bad joints to see if thats your problem.

electroheadDec-17-10 02:37 AM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#33153, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 10

I had my lower ball joints go bad on me. It seems that the ones thedealership replaced didn't have nearly enough grease. After a year on my car, they started to make a squeaking noise everytime I hit a bump or turned, but wouldn't make it when I lifted the car up to check. I'd go with your gut instict on this.

austin14Dec-20-10 11:00 AM
7 posts,
#33159, "RE: Front end noise"
In response to Reply # 11

I replaced both lower control arms on driver side, problem fixed. The car was also pulling to the drivers side fixed that problem too! The best $90 I've spent yet on the car.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33100 Previous topic | Next topic