Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30987
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some suspension theory..." Previous topic | Next topic
Slimyjr.Jan-14-08 07:57 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2007
212 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30987, "Some suspension theory..."

Ive been pondering this for a while and i was wondering what we could do to make our cars get more traction. Im getting a gt28 turbo soon and plan on makin abt 500hp near full boost. So, could we put stiffer springs in the rear to keep the front down to keep the tires planted or what? Give some feedback and ideas abt this cause it pisses me off that some hondas that run 9 sec. 1/4 miles and the hahns car only runs 10 something.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Some suspension theory..., red96rs, Jan-14-08 09:01 AM, #1
RE: Some suspension theory..., 2GeclipseRS, Jan-14-08 09:22 AM, #2
      RE: Some suspension theory..., Slimyjr., Jan-15-08 07:12 AM, #3
           RE: Some suspension theory..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-15-08 08:38 AM, #4
                RE: Some suspension theory..., XMasta19, Jan-15-08 04:44 PM, #5
                     RE: Some suspension theory..., djtrickee, Jan-15-08 06:23 PM, #6
                          RE: Some suspension theory..., Slimyjr., Jan-16-08 07:37 AM, #7
                               RE: Some suspension theory..., ModeratorVX100, Jan-16-08 02:35 PM, #8
                                    RE: Some suspension theory..., turbo8u, Feb-01-08 09:31 AM, #9

red96rsJan-14-08 09:01 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2007
132 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30988, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-14-08 09:03 AM by red96rs

i've been contemplating a solid insert for the rear springs that can be 'clipped in'' and easily removed after the race. i'm thinking it would reduce some of the squat problems we have. other than that i would think the solid motor mounts, and some good tires would help a lot. Also, i only lowered the front of my car, and i saw a HUGE improvement. and from what i've read, avenger springs are stiffer, and help out if you throw a set in the rear aswell.

** Current status: 9 bent valves. and it only had 6,000 miles on it. i hope the replacement goes well. **

Lots of expensive parts, and still slow! Oh wait, it has to run to go fast.

My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=red96rs>

from 2g chat
* DarkOne joins 2GNT_Chat
‹DarkOne› .
‹DarkOne› wow... i'm drunk
‹DarkOne› at 9am.
‹DarkOne› on a saturday.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2GeclipseRSJan-14-08 09:22 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#30989, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 1

Adjustable shocks.....

Turn that knob all the way to the right.

Slicks and axles will help a bunch with traction at the track.

Honda's run quicker times with less power because most of them aren't pushing 3000lbs like our cars. You and maybe 1 or two other people could lift the front end of a smaller honda up off the ground fairly easily.

EG6, EK, and EF civic hatches along with crx's with 200-300hp all motor will put it on most boosted 420a engines. It's all dynamics and remember, the honda aftermarket is as vast and deep as the far reaches of space. You can find ANYTHING for a honda to make it do anything. I can build a 10 second honda for half of what it takes to make a 2gnt run low 11's then spend the other half of the money to get it to run low 9's on street slicks while still being a daily driver.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

Slimyjr.Jan-15-08 07:12 AM
212 posts,
#30991, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 2

true but they get traction like a mofo. Sure theyre light but when they take off they get traction from the traction god and that is one of the reasons they run the times they do. wieght to power ration helps too.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-15-08 08:38 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#30992, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 3

Stiffer or longer springs in he rear has been used for a while now by hahn and a few others. One option is to just lower the front and install stockers in the rear. Avenger springs are also an option.

Terry

XMasta19Jan-15-08 04:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#30993, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 4

Fully adjustable suspensions are well worth the money when you get down to it. Have you also thought of stuff other than actual suspension...like transmission gear ratio (ie. 3.55:1 ftw)

Also, random question...how do you plan on getting 500hp from a gt28, when it's pretty much done flowing efficiently after 300ish

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

djtrickeeJan-15-08 06:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#30995, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by XMasta19
Also, random question...how do you plan on getting 500hp from a gt28, when it's pretty much done flowing efficiently after 300ish

Lol. because when you add up the 50+ hp from the intake manifold, the 62+ hp from the 880cc injectors, the 22+ hp from the throttle body spacer, and the 17+ hp from the IAT resistor mod, then making 500 hp from a simple turbo is no big deal. We've all done it, duh!

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Slimyjr.Jan-16-08 07:37 AM
212 posts,
#30999, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 6

Efficiency rate of 300hp gains to 480hp gains. 480 + 140 equals 620hp at full boost effieciency. Go to garret and ask em about it. Im thinkin...maby i'll go with an lsd if they have one for our car(not sure) and avenger springs in the back and gettin some sticker tires.

ModeratorVX100Jan-16-08 02:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#31000, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 7

As for more traction:

sticky tires

axles to handle the power if you're making enough power that is

soften up the front (shocks and springs)

stiffen up the rear (shocks and springs)

probably a LSD would help, like a quaife (I know, very pricey) but there is a quaife knock-off out there for a lot less (I don't remember the details)

Can't think of much else than that, unles you want to find a way to shift the car's weight forward even more, I'm not sure how maybe shifting the engine and tranny forward a little in the engine bay, could be done with different/modified brackets, but that would seem far too involved for anyone here. Ok, enough conjecture from me for one day.

I've got adjustable shocks on my car, and they do help when you stiffen the rear and soften the front. The drag radials are a big help too

I like what is reported that the new corvette ZR1 will have. The car's computer will assume if you are at a stop and you have the clutch in and the engine revving that you intend to launch the car.

So, it will adjust the shocks (those magnetic shocks that have been around for a while on vettes) in the rear to have soft compression and stiff rebound. Therefore, when the car launches it the weight will transfer easily to the rear wheels, and then with the stiff rebound the weight will stay on the rear wheels.

I think the car does other stuff too when you launch, because you are trying to control "greater than 620HP," but I can't think of what else it will do.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

turbo8uFeb-01-08 09:31 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#31059, "RE: Some suspension theory..."
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-01-08 09:37 AM by turbo8u

I just welded some tracks from a snowmobile onto my car and instead of the tracks its one big sticky peice of rubber.

edit: and as far as hondas being able to hook up better...I think there are a few reasons why. One being wheel hop control (hondas have a better axle design for this) also some people put on traction bars which help too. Another reason being the simple fact the little motors most hondas run dont make enough low end torque to have to worry about traction. they have a hard enough time getting the tires to bark. Once their fnubtec "kicks in" though they turn into lazer beams and you cant see them because theyre faster than light.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30987 Previous topic | Next topic