Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24340
View in linear mode

Subject: "phatom lsd??how good is it?" Previous topic | Next topic
405TURBOJun-10-04 05:05 PM
Member since Apr 10th 2004
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24340, "phatom lsd??how good is it?"

did the search and no imput yet..i'm rebuilding my motor,i have hrc stage 2 with howells long rod kit and i was wondering to any one using it,how good is the phatom grip lsd?i know are car have bad traction problems and i want to get somthing that will help lessen the problem without spending to much.thanks for any help you could give me.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, mcgyvr, Jun-11-04 04:13 AM, #1
RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, Sorry_i_Win, Jun-11-04 05:33 AM, #2
      RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, totaleklipse97, Jun-11-04 07:01 AM, #3
RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, 405TURBO, Jun-11-04 02:50 PM, #4
RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, Initial DSM, Jun-11-04 03:03 PM, #5
      RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, HadesOmega, Jun-11-04 04:55 PM, #6
           RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, grain, Jun-12-04 01:07 AM, #7
                RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?, Sorry_i_Win, Jun-12-04 01:21 PM, #8

mcgyvrJun-11-04 04:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24342, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

look into exileracing.com they are working on the best LSD retrofit

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Sorry_i_WinJun-11-04 05:33 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#24344, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 1

I want to know too... I think I'm gonna get one. ERT's unit is decent for a clutch-type lsd.. but still too expensive for me.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

totaleklipse97Jun-11-04 07:01 AM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#24345, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 2

well i am getting the Retrofit on the GB they had a while back... but guys he's asking how good is the phantom. Honestly sir if you are serious about getting your car into low ET's then i would look past the $120 price tag of the phantom grip. If your willing to spend that much money on go-fast parts why not get the power to the wheels. There are quite a few threads about it in this forum argueing both sides of the spectrum. Best bet is to used the advanced search and look for long threads about it. Also read on the main page the write-up Carlton did about the differences between LSD's similiar to PG and how the clutch type LSD would work.

my car will sound like, bumbabumbubavrooooooooooooooomrooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhh, kishhhhhh
www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=643
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

405TURBOJun-11-04 02:50 PM
Member since Apr 10th 2004
19 posts,
#24347, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the imput but the question was more towards the guys using the phatom grip lsd.i wanted to know how they like it and if help improve the traction problem any .i'm aware of exile racings retro fit lsd but its more then i can afford at the moment.i also never new that you could get the phatom grip for $120.00..odd i thought it was about $270.00 or more .the retro fit is nice and all but expensive plus you have to send them the core and that more downtime i can't afford.i have spent a good amount of money on parts but thats why the funds are low.so..my question again to the 2gnt guys who have used the phatom grip lsd..how good is it?and did it improve some of the traction probems?thanks again for ur help.

Initial DSMJun-11-04 03:03 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#24348, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-11-04 03:06 PM by Initial DSM

Originally posted by 405TURBO
thanks for the imput but the question was more towards the guys using the phatom grip lsd.i wanted to know how they like it and if help improve the traction problem any .i'm aware of exile racings retro fit lsd but its more then i can afford at the moment.i also never new that you could get the phatom grip for $120.00..odd i thought it was about $270.00 or more .the retro fit is nice and all but expensive plus you have to send them the core and that more downtime i can't afford.i have spent a good amount of money on parts but thats why the funds are low.so..my question again to the 2gnt guys who have used the phatom grip lsd..how good is it?and did it improve some of the traction probems?thanks again for ur help.

I guess you can say it works fine for the pricetag. anything above 350whp, and you'd prolly want the clutch based Retro-Fit or maybe even the torque biasing Quaife diff. There was a lsd by NewSkoolracing (out of business now) that was very similiar in design to the PhantomGrip, that ended up blowing up some peoples trannies, so quite a few people have steered clear of it or anything remotely similiar, hence the previousely stated advice on going to Retro-Fit and also any past debates on the pros/cons to the PG you might find by using the search button. AMI also makes a PG like limited slip diff. look for Talonspeed, and ask him about it. He's the only one I know of on here that has that one. Personally, I ordered the Retro-Fit for my car, and my other one has the Quaife.

Also,
Slicks > lsd

HadesOmegaJun-11-04 04:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#24349, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-11-04 04:56 PM by HadesOmega

any lsd is better than no LSD if it were up to me I'd put an lsd in every FF production car or every car for that matter. It makes the car handle much nicer. oh yeah I got the old new skool lsd and it worx great for me.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

grainJun-12-04 01:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#24350, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 6

ya, i have the pg, and it didi change the amoutn of torque steer the car had. traction.. prolly. but i had too much hp to even think of traction even with an lsd. the problem isnt the lsd, its the fact that it puts alot of strain on the diff gears.

Sorry_i_WinJun-12-04 01:21 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#24354, "RE: phatom lsd??how good is it?"
In response to Reply # 7

$120? where? what?

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24340 Previous topic | Next topic