Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22991
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tire and Rim question" Previous topic | Next topic
Pushin420aMar-13-04 02:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1877 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22991, "Tire and Rim question"

I just got these rims in the mail. I was wondering, what tire is the widest tire I can put on it? The size I was gonna go with is 215/45/17..SO I can keep the speedo right, I"m not to concerned about that though....I would rather have handling. I'm wanting the widest I can go and still stay safe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=2466622831

Http://

~Lee

"CHECK OUT THE NEW CARBON KNIGHT AUTO"
still under construction
http://hometown.aol.com/pushin420a/index.html

Please help fix my car..
"DONATIONS ARE WELCOME"

***MODS***
Afx/Race computer, V2CAI, 60MM TB, P&P intake, Cam Gears, Exhaust
Tein Drop springs, Tokico 5-way adjustables.

***Mods to come***
Crane Cams,UDP,full greddy exhaust,headers

Lots of Show!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tire and Rim question, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-13-04 02:49 PM, #1
RE: Tire and Rim question, Pushin420a, Mar-13-04 02:52 PM, #2
      RE: Tire and Rim question, JustOne, Mar-13-04 03:57 PM, #3
           RE: Tire and Rim question, Pushin420a, Mar-13-04 04:10 PM, #4
                RE: Tire and Rim question, Uberingram, Mar-14-04 11:55 PM, #5
                     RE: Tire and Rim question, SilverRS, Mar-15-04 02:30 AM, #6
RE: Tire and Rim question, Skrilla, Mar-15-04 11:40 AM, #7
RE: Tire and Rim question, Ryan_Hes, Mar-15-04 01:11 PM, #8
      RE: Tire and Rim question, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Mar-15-04 05:22 PM, #9
           RE: Tire and Rim question, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Mar-16-04 01:24 PM, #10
                RE: Tire and Rim question, Skrilla, Mar-16-04 01:44 PM, #11
                RE: Tire and Rim question, Pushin420a, Mar-16-04 02:21 PM, #12
                RE: Tire and Rim question, Wildflyer897, Mar-22-04 02:54 PM, #13
                     RE: Tire and Rim question, Uberingram, Mar-22-04 02:55 PM, #14
                          RE: Tire and Rim question, Wildflyer897, Mar-23-04 11:17 AM, #15
                               RE: Tire and Rim question, Skrilla, Mar-23-04 12:20 PM, #16
                                    RE: Tire and Rim question, turbo8u, Mar-23-04 12:57 PM, #17

AdministratorCODE4Mar-13-04 02:49 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22992, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 0

Perfect. 215 is great for a 7.5" rim width. I run 205 on my 7". You could run a 225 even if you wanted, but 215 will give you near perfect sidewall lineup on the bead.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Pushin420aMar-13-04 02:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1877 posts,
#22993, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 1

I gave the wrong rim...mine is 17x7...so let me know on that thanks

~Lee

still under construction

Please help fix my car..
"DONATIONS ARE WELCOME"

***MODS***

***Mods to come***

Lots of Show!!

JustOneMar-13-04 03:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#22995, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 2

I have 17x7 and I run 215-45-17's

Pushin420aMar-13-04 04:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1877 posts,
#22996, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 3

cool thanks for the input guys...

~Lee

still under construction

Please help fix my car..
"DONATIONS ARE WELCOME"

***MODS***

***Mods to come***

Lots of Show!!

UberingramMar-14-04 11:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#23008, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 4

Told ya so, Lee. Thx for the input guys, I wasn't terribly sure either.

SilverRSMar-15-04 02:30 AM
Member since Aug 03rd 2003
274 posts,
#23010, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 5

I run 215/45 on a 7" wide rim with no problems. I think you can run up to 225.

SkrillaMar-15-04 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#23015, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-15-04 11:41 AM by Skrilla

Originally posted by Pushin420a
I just got these rims in the mail. I was wondering, what tire is the widest tire I can put on it? The size I was gonna go with is 215/45/17..SO I can keep the speedo right, I"m not to concerned about that though....I would rather have handling. I'm wanting the widest I can go and still stay safe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=2466622831 Http://

You can go all the way up to 225 on a 7" wide rim but you lose absolute traction from the sidewall. With 205 you will actually lay down more tread to the gound because there won't be any buldging of the tire. On 7.5 you want 215 and on 8" you want 225.

A tire with 215 on a 7" will not lay down as much traction or maintain cornering ability like a Tire/rim combo of 7.5"/215.

EDIT:I only gave this info because you said you were most interested in handling and 215 on 7" wide rims aren't as good as 205 on 7" wide.

On my rims they are 8" wide on 225 aspect width tread

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Ryan_HesMar-15-04 01:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#23018, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 7

Nice lookin rim

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

ModeratorEvuLFleAMar-15-04 05:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#23019, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 8

225/45/17 is actually closer to the stock tire/rim size. 215/45 is very close though. Since they are 7" go with 215.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

MR BLUNT 2gntMar-16-04 01:24 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
#23036, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-16-04 01:25 PM by MR BLUNT 2gnt

Traction is your friend. I'm boosting so i wanted the widest tire i cold fit on my rim. I have a 17 x 7 with 225/45/17's. if anyhing that little(very minimal) amount of overhang will help your chances of not getting curb rash. check it out

400whp or bust.

SkrillaMar-16-04 01:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#23037, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt
Traction is your friend. I'm boosting so i wanted the widest tire i cold fit on my rim. I have a 17 x 7 with 225/45/17's. if anyhing that little(very minimal) amount of overhang will help your chances of not getting curb rash. check it out

honestly the most rubber to the ground - as you put it - would be to drop 205 aspect width, it leaves a larger and stronger contact patch to the floor than simply fitting the most rubber on a rim, it creates flex in the tire with hard cornering and softer ride but that is it, it provides a performance deficit when handling is concerned since the original topic was about handling the smart thing to do would be 205 if it were confort and performance than it would be 215, 225 is only adding unnecessary rubber and weight

If you want the widest rubber go to 235 on some 8.5" rims with a 32 offset<--DSMr's use it all the time

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!

Pushin420aMar-16-04 02:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1877 posts,
#23038, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 11

Hmmmm....interesting...I might see what I can do with a 225....sound interesting...I"m so confused now. damn it

~Lee

still under construction

Please help fix my car..
"DONATIONS ARE WELCOME"

***MODS***

***Mods to come***

Lots of Show!!

Wildflyer897Mar-22-04 02:54 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
34 posts,
#23147, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 10

i want these rims the 18x7.5 with 225/40/18 tires is this good or should i go with 225/45 or 225/35... i don't like sidewall cuz it flexes..

http://www.adrwheels.com/wheels/?sfID1=12&sfID2=62

is the 7.5 going to work.

and teach me about the offset what exactly is it. (english please)

UberingramMar-22-04 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#23148, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Wildflyer897
i don't like sidewall cuz it flexes..

Going to trailer your car everywhere or do you like potholes too?

Wildflyer897Mar-23-04 11:17 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
34 posts,
#23167, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 14

i'm guessing your implying that i get more sidewall? like a 40 or 45?

SkrillaMar-23-04 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#23168, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 15

yes I would say so, that is the reason I'm part of the 16 in rim club still, Cali has some shitty roads, like going North on the 5 freeway past Tustin market place will throw you all over the place

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

turbo8uMar-23-04 12:57 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#23169, "RE: Tire and Rim question"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by Skrilla
yes I would say so, that is the reason I'm part of the 16 in rim club still, Cali has some shitty roads, like going North on the 5 freeway past Tustin market place will throw you all over the place

stop whining and drive.

lol.

lets go hit some more hermosa

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

as needles of ice
are the ill winds' talons
the coldest of shadows
they seep unto the bone

silent souls leave .308 holes

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22991 Previous topic | Next topic