Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29056
View in linear mode

Subject: "Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?" Previous topic | Next topic
jam013200Mar-29-06 01:54 AM
Member since Jun 26th 2005
121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29056, "Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"

I am reinstalling the front lower control are (both lower ones) and the little screw/stud keeps turning as I try to screw the nut on....anyone had this happen and fixed it?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?, DanKid, Mar-29-06 04:39 AM, #1
RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?, jam013200, Mar-29-06 07:43 AM, #2
      RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?, DanKid, Mar-29-06 08:14 AM, #3
           RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?, jam013200, Mar-29-06 04:11 PM, #4
                RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?, nonamerat, Mar-30-06 05:44 AM, #5
                     RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?, 97eclipse97, Mar-31-06 09:09 AM, #6

DanKidMar-29-06 04:39 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29058, "RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think i know which nut you are talking about. What you need to do is get a jack and put it right underneath the control arm where that nut is and jack it up a little. Then when you go to turn the nut the screw will not turn.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jam013200Mar-29-06 07:43 AM
121 posts,
#29060, "RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"
In response to Reply # 1

its the screw/stud right underneath the axle. i tried jacking it up a little but it still turned. should i jack it up so that most of the car weight is on it?

DanKidMar-29-06 08:14 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#29062, "RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"
In response to Reply # 2

It's worth a try. I know which nut you are talking about. It's the one that's right on the end of the control arm which sits right behind the tire. I got it to hold by jacking it up underneath. I wouldn't put the entire weight of the car on it but maybe a little more weight would help. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

jam013200Mar-29-06 04:11 PM
121 posts,
#29064, "RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"
In response to Reply # 3

I tried the jack thing and it didn't work but I finally was able to get it tight. I used a pry bar between the control arm and the piece that it bolts to and kinda cocked the ball joint a little so that there was tension against it (kinda hard to describe). Actually doing that was real easy. Thanks for the help.

nonameratMar-30-06 05:44 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2004
190 posts,
#29065, "RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"
In response to Reply # 4

Just for anyone that may search, I was able to do this by using a large clamp from where you put the jack to right next to the nut.

97eclipse97Mar-31-06 09:09 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#29069, "RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?"
In response to Reply # 5

I also had success using a large C clamp. It gets annoying when it comes off before it's tightened though.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29056 Previous topic | Next topic