Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectControl arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=29056
29056, Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
Posted by jam013200, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am reinstalling the front lower control are (both lower ones) and the little screw/stud keeps turning as I try to screw the nut on....anyone had this happen and fixed it?
29058, RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think i know which nut you are talking about. What you need to do is get a jack and put it right underneath the control arm where that nut is and jack it up a little. Then when you go to turn the nut the screw will not turn. :thumbsup
29060, RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
its the screw/stud right underneath the axle. i tried jacking it up a little but it still turned. should i jack it up so that most of the car weight is on it?
29062, RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It's worth a try. I know which nut you are talking about. It's the one that's right on the end of the control arm which sits right behind the tire. I got it to hold by jacking it up underneath. I wouldn't put the entire weight of the car on it but maybe a little more weight would help. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
29064, RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
I tried the jack thing and it didn't work but I finally was able to get it tight. I used a pry bar between the control arm and the piece that it bolts to and kinda cocked the ball joint a little so that there was tension against it (kinda hard to describe). Actually doing that was real easy. Thanks for the help.
29065, RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
Posted by nonamerat, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just for anyone that may search, I was able to do this by using a large clamp from where you put the jack to right next to the nut.
29069, RE: Control arm ball joint screw turning when I try to tighten nut...help?
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I also had success using a large C clamp. It gets annoying when it comes off before it's tightened though.
I generated this page in 0.0075249671936035 seconds, executing 7 queries.