Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #909
View in linear mode

Subject: "just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?" Previous topic | Next topic
BumpinTalonJun-01-05 03:19 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#909, "just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"

alright, SAFCs cost an absolute fortune up here in Calgary and I want to investigate other options, like a regular Megasquirt WITHOUT the spark add-on MrSlick sells since he is so completely backed up.
So I understand this will only let me control fuel, well that's cool, the stock ECU would still control spark then? people seem to do this same basic concept with a hacked stock system (SFMU, SAFC, etc) so in my mind it will work, but I would like to know for sure from people who know what they are talking about. anybody?

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-01-05 04:48 PM, #1
RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, djtrickee, Jun-01-05 05:04 PM, #2
RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, Teamner947, Jun-01-05 09:25 PM, #3
RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, BumpinTalon, Jun-02-05 05:17 AM, #4
      RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-02-05 05:57 AM, #5
           RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, BumpinTalon, Jun-02-05 09:56 AM, #6
                RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?, Teamner947, Jun-03-05 09:08 AM, #7

TeamXtremeRSJun-01-05 04:48 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#910, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, the MS can run fuel only if that is what you want. We havent had any real problems with running the MS for fuel, and the stock ECU for ignition. It's just *really* nice when running lower compression pistons, and higher octane fuel for boost, to be able to dial in some more ignition timing advance for more power, esp when not in boost.. Even still, the MS is easily modified to run spark, and it's ofcourse a great way to have complete control of your fuel map, so it's def worth it

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

djtrickeeJun-01-05 05:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#911, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Yes, the MS can run fuel only if that is what you want.

Which is exactly what it was conceived of, designed for, and built as, originally. It even says so on the megasquirt homepage...

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Teamner947Jun-01-05 09:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#913, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

I ran it with fuel only for about a month or so before I even tried ignition... After you get it tuned right, the engine will run a LOT more smoothly than with an 8 injector setup or an FPR with an AFC.

If you tune it right you'll get much better gas milage too... Instead of tuning for 14.7:1 in cruise you shoot for 15.0:1-16.0:1 with the help of a wideband.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

BumpinTalonJun-02-05 05:17 AM
2381 posts,
#914, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by ner947
I ran it with fuel only for about a month or so before I even tried ignition... After you get it tuned right, the engine will run a LOT more smoothly than with an 8 injector setup or an FPR with an AFC. If you tune it right you'll get much better gas milage too... Instead of tuning for 14.7:1 in cruise you shoot for 15.0:1-16.0:1 with the help of a wideband.

alright, thanks, I'm gonna do this then and change it over to MSnS down the road some time since my goals don't really call for race gas or high boost.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-02-05 05:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#915, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
Originally posted by ner947 I ran it with fuel only for about a month or so before I even tried ignition... After you get it tuned right, the engine will run a LOT more smoothly than with an 8 injector setup or an FPR with an AFC. If you tune it right you'll get much better gas milage too... Instead of tuning for 14.7:1 in cruise you shoot for 15.0:1-16.0:1 with the help of a wideband.
alright, thanks, I'm gonna do this then and change it over to MSnS down the road some time since my goals don't really call for race gas or high boost.

Dude? anyone who builds megasquirts can do the spark mods to it. it's just a MSnS.. nothing spectacular or unknown. it's not like Slick is the only person that can build them. All the wheel decoding is done in software.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

BumpinTalonJun-02-05 09:56 AM
2381 posts,
#918, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
Originally posted by ner947 I ran it with fuel only for about a month or so before I even tried ignition... After you get it tuned right, the engine will run a LOT more smoothly than with an 8 injector setup or an FPR with an AFC. If you tune it right you'll get much better gas milage too... Instead of tuning for 14.7:1 in cruise you shoot for 15.0:1-16.0:1 with the help of a wideband.
Dude? anyone who builds megasquirts can do the spark mods to it. it's just a MSnS.. nothing spectacular or unknown. it's not like Slick is the only person that can build them. All the wheel decoding is done in software.

I see... looking around I saw the Megasquirt-II with spark and IAC control so I might just wait for that to come into stock. still evaluating my options here.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Teamner947Jun-03-05 09:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#924, "RE: just a regular MS w/o spark control - still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 6

The MS2 CPU is supposely out of stock until late summer. I'm not sure about the 3.0 boards, though. The 3.0 boards look to be designed a lot better than the earlier revisions.

And, no one has ported the popular "-extra" code to the new MS2 CPU yet to my knowledge.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #909 Previous topic | Next topic