Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #532
View in linear mode

Subject: "Quick question? (electronic boost gauges + MSnS)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Mar-21-05 05:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#532, "Quick question? (electronic boost gauges + MSnS)"

I have the www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm (yet to be installed) and it is capable of reading an electronic boost sending unit to display boost pressure on the screen. Originally, their site suggested a Kavlico boost sending unit for its "repeatability," but now they mention a 3.5BAR "absolute MAP" sensor for this. It got me thinking, if my MSnS is coming with a 2BAR MAP which the MS will use to see boost and tune accordingly, could I just tap this signal somehow to feed my display on the Zt-2?

Since I still don't have my MS yet, I'm not sure if this is possible. I would assume the MAP for the MS is physically on the PWB, so to tap into this signal, I would have to run a lead from the MAP to the Zt-2. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, but is it a viable solution? It would seem somewhat goofy to have to buy a second MAP just for my gauge, but I don't think it would cost too terribly much.

Any input from experienced MS users? Lee?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamAvengerMar-21-05 05:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#533, "RE: Quick question? (electronic boost gauges + MSnS)"
In response to Reply # 0

No. Taking something that is expecting a 5V source that measures 3.5bar (theres a lovely table that is pressure to voltage) and sending in a 5V srouce that measures only 2bar would give you crazy results that you wouldn't know what the heck was going on. Just run both MAP sensors. If they are not even close in the readings they see, there is something else seriously wrong.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Mar-21-05 06:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#534, "RE: Quick question? (electronic boost gauges + MSnS)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-21-05 06:51 PM by ner947

I thought about doing that. My boost gauge and boost controller will both read up to 300 kPa, and I'm sure they are analog sensors, so all I'd have to do is take it apart and probe for the correct trace. The only shaky part is that unless you can identify the exact sensor and obtain a voltage/absolute pressure graph, it may be inaccurate. The MSnS-E code currently accepts the "default" Motorola 250 kPa sensor, a Motorola 300 kPa sensor, and a Motorola 400 kPa sensor.

I guess you could "hack" the current MSnS-E code to accept an arbitrary pressure sensor, but you would still need a voltage/pressure table and would have to either go inside of the code and change something or mess with the correction factor in MT. I'm not exactly sure how the correction factor works, you'd have to either look at the code or ask Lee.

Anyways, are you planning on running more than ~23 pounds of boost? That's a lot of pressure.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

TeamDR1665Mar-24-05 07:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#538, "RE: Quick question? (electronic boost gauges + MSnS)"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by ner947
Anyways, are you planning on running more than ~23 pounds of boost? That's a lot of pressure.

I don't think I'll be running that kind of boost on my CR, but thanks for the input, fellas. I was planning on buying the Kavlico Zeitronix orignally suggested, but just saw them mention MAP and started thinking. Not always the best idea in my position. Yuk yuk. I guess I'll stick with buying the dedicated MAP for the Zt-2 display.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-01-05 10:34 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#599, "RE: Quick question? (electronic boost gauges + MSnS)"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-01-05 10:35 PM by Star Turbo Talon

will the Zietronix allow you to define the boost-voltage curve line the Tech edge will? Tech edge allows you to input any sensor but you can define the pressure @ voltage X. I dont know much about the zietronix.

Terry

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #532 Previous topic | Next topic