Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4666
View in linear mode

Subject: "what ever happened to the PnP MSns?" Previous topic | Next topic
CyexmasterOct-08-09 10:11 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4666, "what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"

Just wondering what happened to this, I am really interested in this but theres is no update about this.

I dont want this to be like the turbo mani, that I purchased a custom one and like 2 months later the race mani was out...

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, hazard_eclipse, Oct-08-09 02:43 PM, #1
RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-08-09 03:29 PM, #2
      RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, TeamDR1665, Oct-08-09 04:42 PM, #3
      RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Moderatorteklein, Oct-08-09 05:28 PM, #4
      RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-08-09 05:59 PM, #5
           RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, eclipse982nrRST, Oct-08-09 06:36 PM, #6
           RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-08-09 09:02 PM, #7
           RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, 740 turbo brick, Oct-08-09 10:57 PM, #8
                RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-09-09 07:12 AM, #9
                     RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Cyexmaster, Oct-09-09 10:18 AM, #10
                          RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-09-09 12:56 PM, #11
                               RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Tuxdreamerx, Oct-09-09 02:51 PM, #12
                                    RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Cyexmaster, Oct-09-09 04:52 PM, #13
                                         RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, hazard_eclipse, Oct-09-09 07:48 PM, #14
                                              RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Tuxdreamerx, Oct-09-09 10:19 PM, #15
                                              RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-10-09 08:35 AM, #16
                                                   RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, eclipse982nrRST, Oct-10-09 10:20 AM, #17
                                                        RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, hazard_eclipse, Oct-10-09 11:50 AM, #18
                                                             RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-10-09 12:57 PM, #19
                                                             RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-10-09 01:26 PM, #20
                                                                  RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, adamzty, Oct-10-09 02:10 PM, #21
                                                                       RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, hazard_eclipse, Oct-11-09 07:17 PM, #23
RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, SymTech Labs, Oct-10-09 02:19 PM, #22
RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?, Flipboi89, Oct-12-09 08:43 AM, #24

hazard_eclipseOct-08-09 02:43 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2009
95 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4667, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah, i agree. I've been looking into getting one too and if I get it then they put out the PnP I'm gonna be pissed.

wiki homepage: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Hazard_Eclipse

19:22:36 ‹hazard_eclipse› btw disclaimer: I am NOT hazardeclipse
19:23:10 ‹ez› 19:14:00 ‹hazard_eclipse› i honestly hate yellow.
19:23:25 ‹hazard_eclipse› lol good you saw that
19:23:55 ‹ez› you should put that in your sig

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCOct-08-09 03:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4668, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 1

you guys arent the only one bitchn about it. I created a thread a while back and driggs told me that i had a stick up my ass... in person. so, feel free to bump it if u like

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=39148&mode=full

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

TeamDR1665Oct-08-09 04:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4669, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i have a stick up my ass.

INTHEFACE!

(I knew, as soon as I read this thread earlier today, that Mikey would make an appearance.) lulz

Here's an interesting thought for everyone wanting a PnP MSnS: Buy the harness kit, make a PnP harness some Friday night when you're sitting at home with your thumbs up your asses, and then buy yourself an MSnS to plug into it.

Conversely, the MSnS wiring schematics have been out there for years now. You all know you can see where the MS harness either taps in or replaces the line. That beat-ass Chilton's manual in the garage (or the Wiki here) has pin outs for pretty much every ECU ever in a 2GNT.

Why not trace those lines from the MS schematic to the ECU connectors? Rather than sit around waiting for someone else who is obviously going to get burned severely by people reverse engineering his shit once it hits the market, think outside the box.

Knowing what components the MSnS will be controlling, can you trace those leads to the ECU connectors, de-pin them, and run them to the d-sub on the MSnS, to utilize the factory harness? Beyond that, if you've got emissions testing in your county, how would you - PERSONALLY - work around this?

Me? I'm thinking I'd figure out how to add the ECU connector pig tails to the factory harness. I'd pin my MS to the pig tails. When I ran MSnS, I'd plug the pig tail into the original harness in the car, then plug that extension into the ECU. Bingo. MSnS is using factory harness. When emissions time came, I'd remove the MS "harness" and plug the original connector in. Done deal.

I think we're all plenty annoyed with people who come in expecting others to just give them the answers these days. Maybe we should be stepping up our game as vets and innovating. Just a thought.

ModeratortekleinOct-08-09 05:28 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#4670, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC i have a stick up my ass.
INTHEFACE! (I knew, as soon as I read this thread earlier today, that Mikey would make an appearance.) lulz Here's an interesting thought for everyone wanting a PnP MSnS: Buy the harness kit, make a PnP harness some Friday night when you're sitting at home with your thumbs up your asses, and then buy yourself an MSnS to plug into it. Conversely, the MSnS wiring schematics have been out there for years now. You all know you can see where the MS harness either taps in or replaces the line. That beat-ass Chilton's manual in the garage (or the Wiki here) has pin outs for pretty much every ECU ever in a 2GNT. Why not trace those lines from the MS schematic to the ECU connectors? Rather than sit around waiting for someone else who is obviously going to get burned severely by people reverse engineering his shit once it hits the market, think outside the box. Knowing what components the MSnS will be controlling, can you trace those leads to the ECU connectors, de-pin them, and run them to the d-sub on the MSnS, to utilize the factory harness? Beyond that, if you've got emissions testing in your county, how would you - PERSONALLY - work around this? Me? I'm thinking I'd figure out how to add the ECU connector pig tails to the factory harness. I'd pin my MS to the pig tails. When I ran MSnS, I'd plug the pig tail into the original harness in the car, then plug that extension into the ECU. Bingo. MSnS is using factory harness. When emissions time came, I'd remove the MS "harness" and plug the original connector in. Done deal. I think we're all plenty annoyed with people who come in expecting others to just give them the answers these days. Maybe we should be stepping up our game as vets and innovating. Just a thought.

You can get the ECU plugs from Flight Systems IIRC

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-08-09 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4671, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-08-09 05:59 PM by bullettdsm

driggs told me that i had a stick up my ass...

Hmm, I thought he said he wanted to stick something up your ass.

Funny thing about PnP MSnS. My tuner got this funny looking Volvo wagon piece of crap. He's going to Megasquirt it. He's installing a PnP MSnS for the Volvo, lol.

So here he is a tuner that builds these things and he's getting a PnP for his Volvo. Why? 'Cause they make them. Bwahahaha

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

eclipse982nrRSTOct-08-09 06:36 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#4672, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 5

Pony up and run standalone MSnS.

And everyone needs to quit referring to the Symtech manifold as a fucking RACE manifold damnit.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

420agreenvilleSCOct-08-09 09:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4673, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 6

lmaoooo at this thread. driggs or SOMEONE, just put together a kit and SELL IT. a PNP kit. not a wire this wire that, buy this, install this, blah blah kit.

I think people want a PNP system because they love the idea of PNP, not do it in your garage when you're bored. People like to buy things, plug them in and have 500whp. If someone would create it, it would sell. If i had the time/money, i would. I suck at electronics.

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

740 turbo brickOct-08-09 10:57 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#4674, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC driggs told me that i had a stick up my ass...
Hmm, I thought he said he wanted to stick something up your ass. Funny thing about PnP MSnS. My tuner got this funny looking Volvo wagon piece of crap. He's going to Megasquirt it. He's installing a PnP MSnS for the Volvo, lol. So here he is a tuner that builds these things and he's getting a PnP for his Volvo. Why? 'Cause they make them. Bwahahaha

I wouldnt poke at Volvos. Before I was an N/T DSMer I was a Turbo Bricker, hence the name. I still have a 740 Turbo Volvo as my backup/beater. A car that comes stock RWD, with a 2.3 Turbo 4 cyl with a Garrett T3 bolted to it? Someone was bound to try it. Also, to defend your tuner, theres really nothing engine management wise you can do besides megasquirt, unless you just turn up the boost until you run out of injector or something goes "bang".

But then I got sick of going fast turbo, I wanted to spend all my money and try something that is likely to make me cry a few times along the way, and I found my GS.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-09-09 07:12 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4675, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 8

I was going to build a PNP MSNS but frankly I dont see any value to it, none what-so-ever. First off you need to hunt down old bad ECU's just for the case or bulkhead connectors. Then you use the factory harness that has way too many wires for what you really need. All this becuase you dont want to just run and connect 20 some odd wires? Come on guys........you cant tell me you dont enjoy actually building the car.

CyexmasterOct-09-09 10:18 AM
324 posts,
#4676, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 9

Well I do enjoy building my car, but I just dont wanna do wires again...
And why dont you hunt down the connector it self (new) instead of old ecu's... and make the PnP with that..?

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

420agreenvilleSCOct-09-09 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4677, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 10

people love building their car, but they don't feel like bending their own mandrel bent CAI, they like just buyin' and installin'.

TuxdreamerxOct-09-09 02:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#4678, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 11

people love building their car, but they don't feel like bending their own mandrel bent CAI, they like just buyin' and installin'.

Agreed. But when it comes to things as custom as a standalone computer is it not expected to do a little hard wiring? Maybe I am just different because electronics is my thing.

CyexmasterOct-09-09 04:52 PM
324 posts,
#4679, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 12

Also maybe we dont want to have so much downtime on the car...
I know this would sell if anyone made it but seems no one wants to make the PnP.....

I am going to be pissed if I buy one and a few months later the PnP is available ....IMO

hazard_eclipseOct-09-09 07:48 PM
95 posts,
#4680, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 13

honestly, wiring and electrical has always been fairly easy to me as well. recently though, my pride and joy thing has become my cursing and throwing tools thing. it would just be so much more convenient to PnP for a stand alone type of application. I've actually been trying to find more info on making the MS a stand alone. if anyone has any info on this, can you please PM me. only thing i found in the Wiki was for making it piggy back.

TuxdreamerxOct-09-09 10:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#4681, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 14

I do agree PnP would be really nice im not arguing with that at all. But I am just saying really that hard wiring isnt a big deal to me.

RoninEclipse2GOct-10-09 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#4682, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by hazard_eclipse
only thing i found in the Wiki was for making it piggy back.

Mostly that's because it won't run our gauges IIRC. If you were to switch to a full aftermarket gauge setup then the MS could be completely standalone. Lots of guys use MS as a full standalone ECU for kit cars and custom builds.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

eclipse982nrRSTOct-10-09 10:20 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#4683, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by hazard_eclipse only thing i found in the Wiki was for making it piggy back.
Mostly that's because it won't run our gauges IIRC. If you were to switch to a full aftermarket gauge setup then the MS could be completely standalone. Lots of guys use MS as a full standalone ECU for kit cars and custom builds. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. I have everything wired to run the complete car standalone MSnS. Factory computer and harness and completely gone.

I will run down what I can remember at this point.

To run the stock tach, you just need a tach ouput of the ECU to wire directly to the cluster tachometer.

The speed sensor, you need a 9v ref from the ECU to power the sensor, and then you just have the signal wire and the ground off the sensor that you can ground anywhere and then run the signal wire to the cluster as well hardwired.

Reverse lamp sensor, all hardwired to the rear lights.

No IAC, just run a TPS.

Alternator, you run a external voltage regulator.

Fuel gauge is not run by the ECM.

Fuel pump you run it off a relay and MSnS to power it on/off.

Coolant temp sensor, you can just run a temp gauge like I am.

I am sure I am missing some shit, but I just got home from a trip and I tired.

PnP would be nice for people who are not familiar with electronics, however, if your not that familiar with this shit, you should not be using MSnS to begin to with.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

hazard_eclipseOct-10-09 11:50 AM
95 posts,
#4684, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 17

okay, say you wanted to run the entire powertrain completely off of the MSnS but leave the stock ECU plugged in for just the gauges and accessories. how would you power the sensors for 8v power? does the MSnS put out 12v?

420agreenvilleSCOct-10-09 12:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4685, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 18

mike, if you know how, why not make this a successful business venture then

ModeratorCorbinOct-10-09 01:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#4686, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by hazard_eclipse
how would you power the sensors for 8v power? does the MSnS put out 12v?

One choice is to use an adjustable voltage regulator like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062601
I have one like that spitting out 9V for some of my sensors and am using a standard 5V output from the MS for other sensors.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

adamztyOct-10-09 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#4687, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by Corbin
Originally posted by hazard_eclipse how would you power the sensors for 8v power? does the MSnS put out 12v?
One choice is to use an adjustable voltage regulator like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062601 I have one like that spitting out 9V for some of my sensors and am using a standard 5V output from the MS for other sensors. Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Humble servant of the Wiki

5v works fine for the crank and throttle sensor. That's all you really need it for. It will probably work for the speed sensor too, I haven't tried that yet.

hazard_eclipseOct-11-09 07:17 PM
95 posts,
#4688, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 21

cool man. thanks a lot for the info. i need a new ECU now so I think I'm going to go that route instead of getting another OEM ECU.

SymTech LabsOct-10-09 02:19 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2009
68 posts,
#4689, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 0

We hear and understand your concerns. Believe us when we say that we're just as frustrated as you, but a finished product is in the pipeline.

We've been working on a plug-and-play engine management system for the 420A for a while now. The open source nature of Megasquirt means that it's difficult to finalize a design before next generation hardware is available. If we had locked in one of our designs a year ago, our product would have forced our customers to settle for less. Furthermore, the 420A presents a few unique challenges to overcome while designing a full ECU replacement in a single package.

We strive to offer the best engine management systems available for the 420A platform. We apologize for the amount of time it has taken us to release this product. Designing a new product without cutting corners or taking advantage of our customers takes time. Please know that we're working as hard as we can and we appreciate your continued patience.

As news regarding Plug-and-Play 420A Megasquirt becomes available, it will be posted on our news page first. Please feel free to check there frequently:

http://www.symtechlabs.com/news/news.php

-----------------------------------------

- http://www.symtechlabs.com -

2GNT's Source for MegaSquirt
systems, accessories & more!

Service Manuals and Guides
MegaSquirt MSQ Repository

Flipboi89Oct-12-09 08:43 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4690, "RE: what ever happened to the PnP MSns?"
In response to Reply # 22

Have someone make it for you? Thats what Im doing, guys on here aren't too shady lol.

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4666 Previous topic | Next topic