Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4193
View in linear mode

Subject: ""smart" fuel injector controller" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Aug-13-03 06:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4193, ""smart" fuel injector controller"

Dino is going to be sending me his DIY-WB o2 controller soon, so i'll finally have the oppurtunity to copy the PCB and build my own. (the guy wouldn't respond to my e-mails for buying a PCB from him so i'm just going to fabricate one off of Dino's after i build him his)

Bill has slowly been convincing me to get a Mega Squirt, or for those of you that don't know it's kind of like the 034 EIC but it's designed to controll any type of injector - high or low impedance. the only thing that i don't really like about it is the fact that it only really controlls 2 injectors via a batch firing mode, instead of sequentally.

i've been thinking... is it at all possible to link some sort of wide-band oxygen sensor (in this case, the DIY wide-band sensor) to an 034 EIC or a Mega Squirt to have it learn and perfectly tune the fuel curve in open loop by it's own? for example... i could set a goal like this:

RPM: 2000 4000 6000 8000
A/F: 12:1 12:1 11:1 11:1

or something like that... the DIY wide-band would output raw A/F readings to some type of injector controller (along with MAP data, RPM, IAT, and crap like that but i'll deal with that later), and the injector controller would say "ok, the A/F ratio is suppose to be 11:1 but i'm seeing 10:1, i'll narrow the injector pulsewidth by Xms every 500ms or something until it's on target. then i'll remember what the final pulsewidth should be at this paticular RPM for next time."

this seems like a really good idea to me in which the car would basically tune itself perfectly in open loop. any comments?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE:, ModeratorCorbin, Aug-13-03 07:04 AM, #1
RE:, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-13-03 09:28 AM, #2
      RE:, ModeratorVX100, Aug-14-03 05:22 AM, #3
           RE:, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-14-03 07:57 AM, #4
                RE:, MrSlick, Aug-16-03 03:13 PM, #5
                     RE:, The1Bill, Aug-17-03 12:25 AM, #6
                          RE:, MotoFool, Aug-17-03 03:33 PM, #7
                               RE:, Whittey, Aug-20-03 01:04 PM, #8
                                    RE:, The1Bill, Aug-24-03 09:18 AM, #9
                                         RE:, Whittey, Aug-24-03 11:29 AM, #10
                                              RE:, The1Bill, Aug-24-03 02:24 PM, #11
                                                   RE:, MrSlick, Aug-25-03 08:19 AM, #12
                                                        RE:, ModeratorCorbin, Aug-26-03 06:28 AM, #13
                                                             RE:, MotoFool, Sep-11-03 08:33 PM, #14
                                                                  RE:, Teamner947, Sep-12-03 03:39 AM, #15
                                                                       RE:, MotoFool, Sep-12-03 06:24 PM, #16
                                                                            RE:, Teametx, Sep-15-03 11:07 AM, #17
                                                                                 RE:, MotoFool, Sep-15-03 11:42 AM, #18

ModeratorCorbinAug-13-03 07:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4194, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0

The 034 EIC can control 1-10 injectors of low or high impedance if that helps you make a decision. I don't know of any cheap way give an extra injector controller wide band capability. I once pondered getting a fuel-only ECU with O2 sensor capabilities to drive my secondary injectors. The guy that sells the 034 EIC also sells such a unit: http://www.034efi.com/034ecu.html
The cost is prohibative though. At that price, you might as well go with a full stand-alone system with O2 sensor input.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSAug-13-03 09:28 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#4195, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 1

you know, i was just thinking about that the other day..be cool to use a dedicated wide band o2 to set a steady A/F ratio under boost, at any boost and rpm..that would be sweet as hell...

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ModeratorVX100Aug-14-03 05:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#4196, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 2

It's defenitely a good idea, but I don't think the wideband O2 sennsor would last long enough under constant, regular driving conditions. (which it what it would see, as all of us here don't have dedicated race cars) They aren't designed as ruggedly as regular automotive O2 sensors. And, they are far more expensive, so you'd be spending alot of money replacing wideband O2 sensors over time.

If you are planning on using the megasquirt, I wouldn't worry so much about the fact that it is not sequential. I know sequential is better, but cars have been running on batch injection, throttle body injection, and carbuerators for a long time, so I think you'll be ok

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-14-03 07:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4197, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 3

The GEN 6 DFI HRC sells, the 015013, is batch fire. Works fine.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

MrSlickAug-16-03 03:13 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#4198, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 4

Howdy,

I'm looking at using the megasquirt myself...
I think for the price you can't go wrong....

Lee.

The1BillAug-17-03 12:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#4199, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 5

Told ya, Nate... hehe... <sticks out tongue>

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

MotoFoolAug-17-03 03:33 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#4200, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 6

there was talk about wideband conversion for the mnega squirt on the forums for MS

check it out i dont remember what all was said..

Bill

the mega squirt is nice cause u can build new parts add them in and program them its like open source for tuning =)

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

WhitteyAug-20-03 01:04 PM
Member since Jul 16th 2003
34 posts,
#4201, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 7

Aren't there some Hondas that run WB O2's stock?

I talked to an engineer who works at GM and basically what he said was that sequential helped a small amount below peak torque and improved idle and emissions. No increase at peak hp. Injection timing per cylinder was also found to work the best shooting at the back of a closed valve, probably a tradeoff in mix temperature and quality of mix. If you're really worried about it, you can hack the megasquirt or at least set one bank to 1,3 and the other 4,2.

-=Whittey=-

The1BillAug-24-03 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#4202, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, some Hondas used a Lean-Burn motor, and a wideband O2 sensor. More information can be found at www.diy-wb.com . Making the Megasquirt run 1-3 and 2-4 wouldn't really be a hack, either. Just a matter of rewiring the injectors, not that I have any experience with that. The MS doesn't give a shit what it is driving. It just sends out a pulsewidth, and whatever is connected to it will fire. I don't have a problem with the slight idle and emissions issues that may result from batch-firing in two banks. Beats the hell out of TBI, which is marginally better then a motor with a Carb. Hell, there are motors with carbs making TONS of power. If that can be accomplished with a carburator, imagine what can be done with a better system (dual bank multiport fuel injection).
-=B-=

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.

WhitteyAug-24-03 11:29 AM
Member since Jul 16th 2003
34 posts,
#4203, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 9

Thats what i'm sayin. AFAIK the MS has two batches so its simple to run 1,3 & 2,4. It would be a hack to run sequential and it wouldn't gain you anything more than a smoother idle, lower emissions and a very slight increase in power below peak torque. Probably not worth it.

BTW, Fuel injection does not necessarily make more power. It is definately smoother quicker to tune, but a carb generally does a better job at air/fuel homogenity.

My point about the WB O2 was in reference to VX100s post above.

-=Whittey=-

The1BillAug-24-03 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#4204, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 10

Well, the latest trend is toward direct port injection. That's neat stuff. Anyways, I believe deeply in the Megasquirt, as it is the best bang for the buck in fuel management.
-=B-=

MrSlickAug-25-03 08:19 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#4205, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 11

I'm ordering my Megasquirt today...

If you guys like I have no problem acting as a test subject....lol, might as well wait till I have mine up and running.... but I'm predicting awesome results.... the capabilities of the megasquirt are actually beyond what the EIC controller that most people use around here..... we shall see.

Lee.

ModeratorCorbinAug-26-03 06:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#4206, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 12

Keep us posted. I really like the fact that it can read so many sensors. I may have to switch over in the future.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

MotoFoolSep-11-03 08:33 PM
2103 posts,
#4207, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 13

i have confirmed that the megasquirt does use input from a wide band signal its specifically setup for the DIY wb kit also...

i think that the mega squirt being setup like linux and open source where u can add anything u want is the best option...

Bill

maybe ill get one isntead of a smt6 anyone want to put mine together ??

Bill

Teamner947Sep-12-03 03:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#4208, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 14

i can solder well. for a small fee, mail it to me and i can throw it together for you.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

MotoFoolSep-12-03 06:24 PM
2103 posts,
#4209, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 15

ner hit me on aim and maybe we can work sumtin out =)

wanna make me a knock sensor add in that works with the mega jolt?

Bill

TeametxSep-15-03 11:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#4210, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 16

mabye if it had an option to *learn the curve then remove the wb o2 so it does not get worn out.

MotoFoolSep-15-03 11:42 AM
2103 posts,
#4211, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 17

the o2 sensor it uses is a 28$ o2 froma vw or a honda and its oem equipment i wouldn't worry much about wearing out...

Bill

lookup lm-1 it has the part numbers for the vw 02 sensor

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4193 Previous topic | Next topic