Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4130
View in linear mode

Subject: "msns first time user/ trying to get it to work" Previous topic | Next topic
unluckyOct-27-08 02:03 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2005
39 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4130, "msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"

I have read a lot on megasquirt, but I can’t find out how to get it to communicate with the laptop I am using an usb/db9 programming wire I know works because it worked on the 420a it was originally on. Can some one please help me to get this thing to communicate I know you have to fine witch com port. In my case it is com port 5 but when I go to test it, it does not see the msns but sees the programming wire. I have not started the car yet just trying to get the msns up and on line. The msns is coming on no doubt about that the two l.e.ds flash when I turn the key. The mega tuner will come up on my computer but, like I said when I test the com port it told me nothing is connected. I am really new to this stuff and I really need help? Thank you

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, djtrickee, Oct-27-08 03:02 PM, #1
RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, justins71, Oct-28-08 02:28 PM, #2
      RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, unlucky, Nov-07-08 03:35 PM, #3
           RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, VelocitaPaola, Nov-07-08 06:14 PM, #4
                RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, unlucky, Nov-19-08 05:46 PM, #5
                     RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, justins71, Nov-22-08 08:28 AM, #6
                          RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, unlucky, Nov-30-08 11:50 AM, #7
                               RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, VelocitaPaola, Nov-30-08 01:39 PM, #8
                               RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-30-08 01:42 PM, #9
                                    RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, unlucky, Jan-12-09 07:31 PM, #10
                                         RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, unlucky, Jan-12-09 07:40 PM, #11
RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work, unlucky, Feb-08-09 05:18 PM, #12

djtrickeeOct-27-08 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4132, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 0

What USB adapter are you using?

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

justins71Oct-28-08 02:28 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#4133, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 1

what do you mean it worked on the original 420a? different car, motor, computer?

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

unluckyNov-07-08 03:35 PM
39 posts,
#4153, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 2

i am using a usb from radioshack and i got the msns from a friend of mine with a 420a so a different car

VelocitaPaolaNov-07-08 06:14 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4154, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 3

You need to make sure the COM port that corresponds to your USB-serial adapter is set to the appropriate baud rate (9600 for MS1 and 115200 for MS2), and that the FIFO buffers are turned all the way down. Either of these things not being set properly will prohibit your computer from recognizing the Megasquirt ECU.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

unluckyNov-19-08 05:46 PM
39 posts,
#4156, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
You need to make sure the COM port that corresponds to your USB-serial adapter is set to the appropriate baud rate (9600 for MS1 and 115200 for MS2), and that the FIFO buffers are turned all the way down. Either of these things not being set properly will prohibit your computer from recognizing the Megasquirt ECU.

ok did that still not reading it any other ideas

justins71Nov-22-08 08:28 AM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#4157, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 5

what OS are you using? and it was the same computer used to read the same MS when it was on your friends car??

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

unluckyNov-30-08 11:50 AM
39 posts,
#4166, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 6

i am using a brosh OS (LC-1 wideband) no not the same computer/labtop is being used.

VelocitaPaolaNov-30-08 01:39 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4167, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 7

Specifically, what operating system does your computer use and did this USB-serial adapter ever work with your Megasquirt ECU? Keyspan and Sewell adapters are generally the best when it comes to Megasquirt.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-30-08 01:42 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4168, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 7

Go into windows device manager. Click on the "+" in front of "COM" and it should display "USB device" and show you the Com #. For example mine is COM 5. Make sure you have the same Com # chosen in MS.

This adapter you have.....did you install the drivers for it?

unluckyJan-12-09 07:31 PM
39 posts,
#4296, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 9

ya i did that its in com5 it sees the Usb but not the ECU(megasquirt). and the Usp adapter that i am using does and has worked before on my friends car

unluckyJan-12-09 07:40 PM
39 posts,
#4297, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 10

in fact its i got it off of Aggression the msns

unluckyFeb-08-09 05:18 PM
39 posts,
#4328, "RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work"
In response to Reply # 0

where do i find my firmware and ego at i cant find it anywhere

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4130 Previous topic | Next topic