Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectmsns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=4130
4130, msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by unlucky, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have read a lot on megasquirt, but I can’t find out how to get it to communicate with the laptop I am using an usb/db9 programming wire I know works because it worked on the 420a it was originally on. Can some one please help me to get this thing to communicate I know you have to fine witch com port. In my case it is com port 5 but when I go to test it, it does not see the msns but sees the programming wire. I have not started the car yet just trying to get the msns up and on line. The msns is coming on no doubt about that the two l.e.ds flash when I turn the key. The mega tuner will come up on my computer but, like I said when I test the com port it told me nothing is connected. I am really new to this stuff and I really need help? Thank you
4132, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by djtrickee, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What USB adapter are you using?
4133, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
what do you mean it worked on the original 420a? different car, motor, computer?
4153, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
i am using a usb from radioshack and i got the msns from a friend of mine with a 420a so a different car
4154, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You need to make sure the COM port that corresponds to your USB-serial adapter is set to the appropriate baud rate (9600 for MS1 and 115200 for MS2), and that the FIFO buffers are turned all the way down. Either of these things not being set properly will prohibit your computer from recognizing the Megasquirt ECU.
4156, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
You need to make sure the COM port that corresponds to your USB-serial adapter is set to the appropriate baud rate (9600 for MS1 and 115200 for MS2), and that the FIFO buffers are turned all the way down. Either of these things not being set properly will prohibit your computer from recognizing the Megasquirt ECU.

ok did that still not reading it any other ideas
4157, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
what OS are you using? and it was the same computer used to read the same MS when it was on your friends car??
4166, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
i am using a brosh OS (LC-1 wideband) no not the same computer/labtop is being used.
4167, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Specifically, what operating system does your computer use and did this USB-serial adapter ever work with your Megasquirt ECU? Keyspan and Sewell adapters are generally the best when it comes to Megasquirt.
4168, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Go into windows device manager. Click on the "+" in front of "COM" and it should display "USB device" and show you the Com #. For example mine is COM 5. Make sure you have the same Com # chosen in MS.

This adapter you have.....did you install the drivers for it?
4296, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
ya i did that its in com5 it sees the Usb but not the ECU(megasquirt). and the Usp adapter that i am using does and has worked before on my friends car
4297, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
in fact its i got it off of Aggression the msns
4328, RE: msns first time user/ trying to get it to work
where do i find my firmware and ego at i cant find it anywhere
I generated this page in 0.0076808929443359 seconds, executing 7 queries.