Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3854
View in linear mode

Subject: "MS v2.2 circuit question" Previous topic | Next topic
SilvrEclipsJun-16-08 03:42 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3854, "MS v2.2 circuit question"

Hey guys I just bought MS v2.2. I just recieved the unit and had a few questions about the internal wiring of MS. Its missing the center LED and had a good but or jumpers running around. Just want to make sure everything is right before trying to hook this thing up.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2630.jpg?t=1213666800

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2632.jpg?t=1213666864

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2633.jpg?t=1213666887

Sorry for the crappy pics, photobucket is doing that to all of them..

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-17-08 11:01 AM, #1
RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-17-08 12:56 PM, #2
      RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, VelocitaPaola, Jun-17-08 03:08 PM, #3
           RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-18-08 01:38 AM, #4
                RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-19-08 04:40 PM, #5
                     RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, VelocitaPaola, Jun-19-08 07:22 PM, #6
                          RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-20-08 01:22 AM, #7
                               RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-20-08 03:57 AM, #8
                                    RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-20-08 10:48 AM, #9
                                         RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-20-08 01:55 PM, #10
                                              RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-20-08 02:22 PM, #11
                                                   RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-20-08 02:28 PM, #12
                                                        RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-20-08 03:15 PM, #13
                                                             RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-22-08 06:54 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-22-08 12:28 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-23-08 06:48 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-24-08 01:27 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-26-08 08:19 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-26-08 11:05 AM, #19
                                                                                           RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-29-08 12:44 PM, #20
                                                                                                RE: MS v2.2 circuit question, SilvrEclips, Jun-30-08 06:44 PM, #21

SilvrEclipsJun-17-08 11:01 AM
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3855, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 0

Come on guys I know some one has to have some info. Even a good pic of what the v2.2 board should look like would be helpful. Trying to get this ready to go in sometime in the next couple of weeks.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-17-08 12:56 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3856, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 1

I can see ita setup for an external ignitor like an ignition box or 4g63 module but no idea what the deal with LED18 is.

Terry

VelocitaPaolaJun-17-08 03:08 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#3857, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 2

I concur... I have no clue what's up with the LED/JS1-6 wire. Find a way to host better quality images and maybe take one or two photo's of the underside of the board as well.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

SilvrEclipsJun-18-08 01:38 AM
534 posts,
#3858, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 3

Ok guys I will try and have better pics of the board up tonight. There is no wiring on the underside of the board, only 2 transistors. I would rather not run and external ignitor, could I use the VB921 transistors and make it internal? Thanks for the help guys.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

SilvrEclipsJun-19-08 04:40 PM
534 posts,
#3861, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-19-08 04:47 PM by SilvrEclips

OK here are some pics of the setup. Got the MAP installed tonight and started on the flyback board. The flyback allows you to run low ind. injectors, but can you also run high ind. injectors after its installed?

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55119&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=503

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55120&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=503

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55121&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=503

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55122&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=503

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

VelocitaPaolaJun-19-08 07:22 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#3862, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by SilvrEclips
The flyback allows you to run low ind. injectors, but can you also run high ind. injectors after its installed?

Yes.

I still have no idea quite what's going on with your unit. Electrically, it doesn't make sense: it's akin to connecting one processor I/O pin to another. I suggest you either learn more about MS circuitry, or have it all looked over by a professional. Sorry if I can't be of more help, I would need to have the box in front of me figure out what was done.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

SilvrEclipsJun-20-08 01:22 AM
534 posts,
#3864, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 6

Can someone just post a nice big pic of what the v2.2 board is suppose to look like so I can change mine around to match it. Instead of figuring out whats going on I planned on just removing all of the alterations and starting from there.

Also I started building my wiring harness and noticed that they gave me a lot of IAC wires but not a crank position sensor wire. The pic of the 2.2 board wiring doesn't show a CPS but the 3.0 wiring does. Do I just hook the wire to the same pin?

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

TeamXtremeRSJun-20-08 03:57 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#3865, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-20-08 04:08 AM by XtremeRS

Can someone just post a nice big pic of what the v2.2 board is suppose to look like so I can change mine around to match it. Instead of figuring out whats going on I planned on just removing all of the alterations and starting from there. Also I started building my wiring harness and noticed that they gave me a lot of IAC wires but not a crank position sensor wire. The pic of the 2.2 board wiring doesn't show a CPS but the 3.0 wiring does. Do I just hook the wire to the same pin?

I dont know whats going on there with LED 18. In Megatune, LED 18 can be configured for output 4, which can be fan control or any temperature/hysteresis controlled switched output. So the connection to the negative side of the LED 18 hole is ok, but why they took that wire to pin 6 of JP1 or Processor pin 16, is beyond me. That is an output pin, although I cant find anything in Megatune that uses that pin for any special features..I dont know, i havent messed around with MS1 in quite a while, mostly MS2 stuff now. It's hard to tell about the other jummpers, but it seems the input and output mods for spark and the crank sensor are there, although its hard to see if they are correct.

Anyway to find out who built the board? It may help to ask them whats up with it if you can. As for the crank sensor wire input to the MS, you just use the normal "tach or coil" input wire. Look over the 2.2 schematics very closely and try to follow the circuit mods from the diagram to your board. It's not that hard to follow if you really try.

Also, have you opened up Megatune and seen what LED18 is configured for? That may help..assuming the MS1 chip has been pre-programmed by the seller/builder.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

SilvrEclipsJun-20-08 10:48 AM
534 posts,
#3866, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 8

JP3 jumper is soldered to both the positive and neg for the LED. The guy I bought this from never used it and someone else built it for him so no way to contact him. Like I said before I would rather remove all of this BS wiring from the board and do it right instead of trying to figure out what they were doing here. I could follow the instructions and build it back to stock but I know some jumpers have to be added for the 420a motor.

I plan on only running fuel right now till I get the hang of this thing then adding spark in a month or 2. I also would like to have the ignitors built into the MS and not have to use an external transistor pack.

Xtreme could you take a few pics of your board and post them so I could compare the difference between them and alter mine according to yours?

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

TeamXtremeRSJun-20-08 01:55 PM
6329 posts,
#3867, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 9
Jun-20-08 01:57 PM by XtremeRS

JP3 jumper is soldered to both the positive and neg for the LED. The guy I bought this from never used it and someone else built it for him so no way to contact him. Like I said before I would rather remove all of this BS wiring from the board and do it right instead of trying to figure out what they were doing here. I could follow the instructions and build it back to stock but I know some jumpers have to be added for the 420a motor. I plan on only running fuel right now till I get the hang of this thing then adding spark in a month or 2. I also would like to have the ignitors built into the MS and not have to use an external transistor pack. Xtreme could you take a few pics of your board and post them so I could compare the difference between them and alter mine according to yours?

The jumper wire at LED 18 is connected to both the led holes? The negative and positive? By both holes, you do mean where the legs of the Led would solder to, correct? If that is the case, then man, dont ever power up that board! I would de-solder all that crap that goes to and from LED 18, you dont need it or want any of that at this point. Before you unsolder all the other jumpers, you should look at the MS1 420a input/output schematic mods and see if it's done right. No point in de-soldering all the mods if they are already correct. I mean, you will need to know how to follow the mod diagrams anyway, so get that figured out.

I can take some pics, but my camera isn't the greatest for closeups..I'll see what i can do. It will be hard to follow from a picture anyway, nor SHOULD you. If you can't figure out how to read the schematics and do the mods, then you really should find someone who can. Frying these boards isn't all that hard to do if you don't know what you are doing.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

SilvrEclipsJun-20-08 02:22 PM
534 posts,
#3869, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 10

Yes it is connected to both the postive and negative for the LED. Where can I find a diagram of the 420a board mods? I have found the main ones for the 2.2 board but not the ones for the 420a crank.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

TeamXtremeRSJun-20-08 02:28 PM
6329 posts,
#3870, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 11
Jun-20-08 02:29 PM by XtremeRS

Yes it is connected to both the postive and negative for the LED. Where can I find a diagram of the 420a board mods? I have found the main ones for the 2.2 board but not the ones for the 420a crank.

Just scroll down slightly for the v2.2 mods.

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#neon

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

SilvrEclipsJun-20-08 03:15 PM
534 posts,
#3871, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 12

Ok thanks man, I will let yall know how it goes. Hopefully it has never been powered up and isin't fried yet.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

SilvrEclipsJun-22-08 06:54 AM
534 posts,
#3872, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 13

Looking over the board it looks like most of the wires are correct with exception of the wire connecting the D18 LED to the JP3. You guys were right and it looks like this MS is set up to run an external ignitor pack. I have been looking but cant seem to find a wiring diagram of how to run internal transistors to fire the coil pack.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

TeamXtremeRSJun-22-08 12:28 PM
6329 posts,
#3873, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 14

You can run two VB921 transistors to fire the coilpack, but IMO, it's much easier to just run a Mitsu Power transistor Unit. You can find them on any 4g63 powered car(distributorless ones), and are either 5 pin or 7 pin, both would work. I have a 5 pin wire guide stickied right at the top of this forum. The Mitsu transistor packs are pretty darn bulletproof. I used to run the 5 pin, worked excellent, but now i fire the coils with a Crane CDI ignition box.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

SilvrEclipsJun-23-08 06:48 PM
534 posts,
#3875, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 15

Ok guys thanks for all the help. I went back through the MS assembly guide and the 420a mods and the board seemed to be fine all except for that D18 wire BS. Anyways made the wiring harness and powered up MS. Hooked the computer up to it and tried to open Megatune 2.25 and got this error.

Controller code version does not match signature in Megasqurit-I.ini

Expected "0x14"
Recieved "" (from controller)

Table corruptions may occur.

I can click no and Megatune will come up and seems to be working fine. I dont have a stem but I messed with the MAP and it works fine. What code do I need to load on to MS?

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

TeamXtremeRSJun-24-08 01:27 PM
6329 posts,
#3876, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 16

Ok guys thanks for all the help. I went back through the MS assembly guide and the 420a mods and the board seemed to be fine all except for that D18 wire BS. Anyways made the wiring harness and powered up MS. Hooked the computer up to it and tried to open Megatune 2.25 and got this error. ** Controller code version does not match signature in Megasqurit-I.ini Expected "0x14" Recieved "" (from controller) Table corruptions may occur. ** I can click no and Megatune will come up and seems to be working fine. I dont have a stem but I messed with the MAP and it works fine. What code do I need to load on to MS?

That warning is telling you that the code on the processor does not match what Megatune is configured for. At this point, I would just download the latest MS1 Extra code. Since i haven't worked with MS1 in a while, i'm not sure what the latest is. Just be sure to place the .ini file in the correct directory for Megatune.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-26-08 08:19 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3877, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 17

latest code is 029y3. your better off downloading it and using that. According to other sources i have talked with, there have been a lot of changes to the accuracy of our crank sensor.

SilvrEclipsJun-26-08 11:05 AM
534 posts,
#3878, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 18

I loaded 029y4. That was the latest version I could find. Everything appears to be working fine. Need to install the sensors and find some time to wire this thing up. Hopefully over the next few days I will learn how to set MS up right.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

SilvrEclipsJun-29-08 12:44 PM
534 posts,
#3879, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 19

ok so another question. I have been trying to find a base map for the 420a but haven't been successful. Should I just try and set MS up for the 420a and guess on a fuel map or is there one I cant load up for a base map just to get it started? Im running 440s.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

SilvrEclipsJun-30-08 06:44 PM
534 posts,
#3880, "RE: MS v2.2 circuit question"
In response to Reply # 20

Did more searching today and found out that MS can generate a base map for me. I am working on setting all the settings for MS to work on a 420a. This part has be very confused as I can't find anything that tells me what to change each setting to. Also Megatune wont come up now, I was messing with it earlier and I think I screwed it up. It comes up with and error saying the file 'dfi.ini' could not be opened. Not sure what to do with that.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3854 Previous topic | Next topic