Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSApr-19-07 03:48 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3144, "Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!"
Apr-19-07 03:59 PM by XtremeRS

I took my MS2 card, swapped it into my 2.2 board, and did nothing else..no changes needed. It fired up and ran pretty darn good. Needs lots of retuning, but after a few adjustments, it was idling smooth. So there ya go, go get a MS2 and run it.

http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=24244

I'm md95 on the forums BTW

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!, Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-20-07 01:59 AM, #1
RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!, gilee_8, Apr-22-07 09:46 AM, #2
RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!, gilee_8, Apr-22-07 09:51 AM, #3
      RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-22-07 10:52 AM, #4
           RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!, gilee_8, Apr-23-07 07:43 AM, #5
BAD NEWS... it won't work!, gilee_8, Apr-23-07 11:20 AM, #6
RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-23-07 02:54 PM, #7
      RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!, gilee_8, Apr-23-07 07:35 PM, #8
           RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-24-07 03:30 AM, #9
                RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!, gilee_8, Apr-24-07 05:56 AM, #10
                Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed., gilee_8, Apr-24-07 06:57 AM, #11
                     RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed., TeamXtremeRS, Apr-24-07 11:09 AM, #12
                          RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed., gilee_8, Apr-24-07 03:07 PM, #13
                               RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed., TeamXtremeRS, Apr-24-07 06:07 PM, #14
                                    RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed., Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-25-07 07:19 AM, #15

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-20-07 01:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3145, "RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!"
In response to Reply # 0

Man...and I was just getting around to installing my v2.2 msns. Now I need to get an MS2 card. Add that to the list of parts needed to get this job done!

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gilee_8Apr-22-07 09:46 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
#3146, "RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!"
In response to Reply # 0

This is a super news!
My MSII chip is been sitting there for over a year now.. LOL.
now I can take off MSI chip from my MS v3.0 board and swap in the MSII.

So do we get much higher resolution after changing to MSII?
Damn I have to re-set all the Megatune settings and the VE table and so on... seems like alot of works.

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Apr-22-07 09:51 AM
1441 posts,
#3147, "RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!"
In response to Reply # 2

BTW< can you post the link to where I can download the new MSII code?
Thanks!

Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSApr-22-07 10:52 AM
6329 posts,
#3148, "RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by gilee_8
BTW< can you post the link to where I can download the new MSII code? Thanks!

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/files/alpha/ms2extra_alpha20070417.zip

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Apr-23-07 07:43 AM
1441 posts,
#3149, "RE: Megasquirt 2 Extra 420A decoder now works!"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for the link Matt, will try out the new code today.
I also have another question, I been using the 029q2 firmware and yesterday I tried 3 hrs to upgrade to 029v, but my stupid laptop is annoying me.
I am just wondering, after I swap the MSII chip in, and upgrade to the firmware posted above, does it equivalent to the 029v feature? Or just totally different?

Thanks.
Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Apr-23-07 11:20 AM
1441 posts,
#3150, "BAD NEWS... it won't work!"
In response to Reply # 0

I just unplugged my MSv3.0 into my apart, swap the MSII chip on, put on the STIM, and power it up, with the onboard BOOT pin off, and with the MSII chip bootpin on. (MSII chip comes with no firmware) then I go on to the MS site to get the downloader 1.04, and I open the program, pick the com and pick the firmware MATT posted up.
Then when it try to write, it keep saying error, time out!
IT won't work!
Seems like my V3.0 board won't work with the MSII chip... I have no clue!
And the 3 LED doesn't light up when I power it up, I am lost guys!
Please Help.

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSApr-23-07 02:54 PM
6329 posts,
#3151, "RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-23-07 03:57 PM by XtremeRS

First off, are you using a straight serial port on your computer, or are you using a USB-serial adaptor? If you use an adaptor, you MUST go into your computer device manager and set the com port you are using, to the correct baud rate.(you have to set it in Megatune as well)MS2 baud rates are different from MS1!! If you have buffer control sliders, set those to the most minimum as well. Put the jumper on the bootloader pins on the MS2 card(do not use the V3 board jumper), power the MS on, then off, then turn it back on and leave it on. Use the MS downloader, and get the .s19 in the zip you downloaded. It should work and download the code. For the MT configurator, create a new project file, and set the code for normal MS2. Be sure to put the .ini file into the MT mtcfg directory, then use the MT configurator and click the plus sign next to MT2.25, then highlight the MS2 Extra ini file, then go up to- file-activate. Be sure to put the same ini file into your new project folder mtcfg director as well.

There are 2 board versions of the MS2 daughercard. Do you have the blue or green one? The blue one is the latest version..

There has only been one tester using the V3 board, and he had issues of it not even reading rpm. It may have been a setting issue, we havent figured it out yet. All i know is that my 2.2 board works fine with the MS2 Extra code so far..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Apr-23-07 07:35 PM
1441 posts,
#3152, "RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for the heads up Matt.
To me seems like the MSII is green comparing to the blue jumper. (I got this over a year ago)
Also can you tell me what band rate you using for the MSII?
I am using a PCMCIA serial card. and it works fine when I read it using MSI chip, and flash with MSI firmware...just MSII is not communicating.

I will try again tomorrow with the dedicated band rate. I tried using 9600 and 115200.

Thanks.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSApr-24-07 03:30 AM
6329 posts,
#3153, "RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!"
In response to Reply # 8

MS2 MUST be set for 115200 baud rate. I'm not sure on this, but you may have to search the MS2 forums for the downloader for your MS2 card. You have the "old" version of the card, and it may require a differnt downloader program..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Apr-24-07 05:56 AM
1441 posts,
#3154, "RE: BAD NEWS... it won't work!"
In response to Reply # 9

ok.. let me give it a shot...
I just tried to download 029v firmware into my MSI, but it got an error... now I have NO MS working ... my car is basically dead right now.. damn it!
Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Apr-24-07 06:57 AM
1441 posts,
#3155, "Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed."
In response to Reply # 9
Apr-24-07 06:59 AM by gilee_8

I just got my MSI chip flashed to 029v using hyperterm... the stupid downloader won't work, took me a while to remember how I flashed the 029q2 last year.

For the MSII, still no good. I used the downloader and it will say ERASED, but then it will ERROR.

This is what it say:
Opened comm port 4 at 115200.
Erasing main FLASH:
Erased.
ERROR: Time out reading response, 0xE0
Elapsed time: 4.80 seconds

It took less than 0.5 sec from ERASED to ERROR. seems like a connection problem? but I just flashed my MSI with 029v so my connection to the megasquirt should be good, and I changed the Bandrate to 115200, also from reading the MS site, I found out that MSII chip uses 12V, and MSI doesn't, and it said if you use MSI, don't connect that connection, so that means my assembly of the v3.0 board cannot connect the 12V for MSI coz it will fry the MSI chip. So I wonder, will that be what I needed to modify? But how come Matt, you don't have to change ANYTHING on your board and get MSII to work?
I am confused.

Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSApr-24-07 11:09 AM
6329 posts,
#3157, "RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed."
In response to Reply # 11
Apr-24-07 11:10 AM by XtremeRS

The 12v supply to the MS2 card is for the idle stepper motor control chip on the MS2 card. You should connect 12v to the proper location, as the MS2 docs say it keeps the stepper chip cooler. I did not connect it, the chip does stay cool so far, and its NOT needed to at least download the code, and run the engine. If you do connect 12v, you MUST disconnect it if you put your MS1 CPU back in.

I would read and re-read this link that describes the MS2 chip and the older and newer versions of the MS2 card. You *may* have to use a different code downloader for your "old" MS2 green color card. 1.04 may not work, you will have to read up on that or ask at the MS forums.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/index.htm

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Apr-24-07 03:07 PM
1441 posts,
#3158, "RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed."
In response to Reply # 12

thx for the suggestion. right now I am just stick with MS-I chip and read more about the MSII first.
But I am pretty sure 029v has some problem, or requires additional changes to get it to work...
I basically got it running, but after 2 hrs of diagnostic, I found out that, if I turn on MSnS and 420A/Neon decoder under the "codebase and output function" the car will not run! my Engine MAP will get STUCK at 306kPA when I turn on my car (before I crank or start the engine) and of course, I cannot start the car, seems like the MS is just not working.. no fuel, or RPM,, nothing. took me so long before I found out the MSnS and decoder option is the cause.
having either one enabled is good, but if I have both on, the car will not START!
This is very weird!!
But this is working perfectly fine for me in 029q2.
Any of you have this problem?

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSApr-24-07 06:07 PM
6329 posts,
#3161, "RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed."
In response to Reply # 13

Yes, I HIGHLY suggest for anyone wanting to try out the MS2, to read, read, and read up on it first. There are MANY layout and tuning changes from MS1 EXtra, and it is a learning curve. I'll try and help out with what i can, but i cant take the place of you guys doing your homework and learning what's already been documented and written up. Go to megasquirt.info, and read any link you can find about MS2.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-25-07 07:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#3162, "RE: Start wondering about V3.0 wiring changes needed."
In response to Reply # 14
Apr-25-07 07:21 AM by xcasbonx

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Yes, I HIGHLY suggest for anyone wanting to try out the MS2, to read, read, and read up on it first. There are MANY layout and tuning changes from MS1 EXtra, and it is a learning curve. I'll try and help out with what i can, but i cant take the place of you guys doing your homework and learning what's already been documented and written up. Go to megasquirt.info, and read any link you can find about MS2.

Just a step ahead of ya here. I've printed out just about everything from the MS2 manual. It's my new "bible" for now. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up enough quickly to start testing it out as well, but I'm still aways away from installing and setting up configurations etc...in other words I still need to build the fuel system and get the MS2 card!

Originally I was just going to stick with MS1, but I figured/realized, if I'm going to learn it, I might as well pick up on whats the latest and greatest...the more guys we have here working with the MS2 will help pave the way for others to dive in as well.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3144 Previous topic | Next topic