Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2729
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thoughts for MS users" Previous topic | Next topic
AggressionNov-04-06 03:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2729, "Thoughts for MS users"

As a megasquirt user, I am always curious as to what others are running setting wise. Now I understand each car will be different, but I have been thinking about building a 2gnt MS user database. I wanted to get everyones idead and options on this.

OK what I think would be benifical to upcoming MS users as well as current MS users is a database where each user would enter in all their setting information via a form or screenies. Since settings can change quite frequently you can update them as you like and even have a text field to explain how you car runs with these settings.

Plus there would of course be the "car mods" section so a user could do a search in the database for someone that has very simalar mods and it would display a table of results to people that have almost the same listing of mods. So you could go and check out what settings work for them and maybe use them as your base and you can tune from there.

Remember this is just something I've been thinking about and wanted some input on it.

I didn't want to put this in any other section because I know all the MS users come in here. But if you would like to move it to a more suitable thread please do. I would ask that you just leave it shadowed.

Thanks

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Thoughts for MS users, djtrickee, Nov-04-06 05:53 AM, #1
RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-04-06 11:45 AM, #2
RE: Thoughts for MS users, BlackMagic, Nov-04-06 11:45 AM, #3
      RE: Thoughts for MS users, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-04-06 03:14 PM, #4
           RE: Thoughts for MS users, djtrickee, Nov-04-06 04:05 PM, #5
                RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-05-06 04:45 AM, #6
                     RE: Thoughts for MS users, BlackMagic, Nov-05-06 08:51 AM, #7
                          RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-06-06 02:37 AM, #8
                               RE: Thoughts for MS users, BlackMagic, Nov-06-06 07:18 PM, #9
                                    RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-07-06 02:36 AM, #10
                                         RE: Thoughts for MS users, WickedESi, Nov-07-06 04:20 AM, #11
                                              RE: Thoughts for MS users, BlackMagic, Nov-07-06 08:22 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-07-06 11:23 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Thoughts for MS users, BlackMagic, Nov-07-06 12:28 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-07-06 05:28 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Thoughts for MS users, TeamDR1665, Nov-09-06 05:03 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Thoughts for MS users, WickedESi, Nov-10-06 04:33 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Nov-10-06 09:37 AM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Thoughts for MS users, mreigle, Nov-27-06 01:33 AM, #19
                                                                                      RE: Thoughts for MS users, Aggression, Dec-08-06 09:32 AM, #20
                                                                                           RE: Thoughts for MS users, mreigle, Dec-08-06 11:55 PM, #21
                                                                                                RE: Thoughts for MS users, ez, Dec-12-06 10:43 AM, #22

djtrickeeNov-04-06 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2730, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 0

This is a good idea, especially now with the Main page Wiki being setup as it is. I would be willing to post up my Megasquirt settings if you are able to get it all sorted out. The big thing here I think would be getting it organized correctly. With different users running different versions, firmware etc. not all of the settings are going to correlate.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AggressionNov-04-06 11:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2731, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 1

Exactly....thats why I wanted to get with you all and we could come up with everything we need that is of utmost importance.

This way it will be a full database with every detail. We just need to create a heiarchy for it. I think if we all put our heads together on this we can make it pretty sweet!

I can make it so they can integrate it into the forum database as well.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

BlackMagicNov-04-06 11:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2732, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 1

I agree it's an awesome idea, it's just going to be difficult to get it all organized. But if you can figure it out which I know you can then I'm all for sharing my information.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-04-06 03:14 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2733, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 3

Joe (Boostedeclipse) already had this setup about a couple years back. At least i thought it was him. Might have been Shawn McHenry that did it.

At any rate its not a bad idea but it needs to read as a word doc. If you make it a site where people save their MSQ's, then you will have a variety of differnt version and a shit load of questions from people asking why they cant open my MSQ.

Another thing to consider is the dating of settings. Every 3-4 times I drive my car i change the settings so my map never stops changing.

Terry

djtrickeeNov-04-06 04:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#2734, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Joe (Boostedeclipse) already had this setup about a couple years back. At least i thought it was him. Might have been Shawn McHenry that did it. At any rate its not a bad idea but it needs to read as a word doc. If you make it a site where people save their MSQ's, then you will have a variety of differnt version and a shit load of questions from people asking why they cant open my MSQ. Another thing to consider is the dating of settings. Every 3-4 times I drive my car i change the settings so my map never stops changing. Terry

I agree with this. I think posting the .MSQs is a bad idea. This could cause unwary people to download these and cause more problems than starting from scratch. I would be happy to post screenshots or even transcribe all the pertinent info into a document or "questionaire" page, but posting .MSQ files can lead to problems.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

AggressionNov-05-06 04:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2735, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 5

I agree with the MSQ files as well. What we need to do is come up with a list of fields for our database. Ones that will really break down everything so there is no confusion.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

BlackMagicNov-05-06 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2736, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 6

I think the big thing would be being able to load your .vex files, all the other settings are easy enough to enter in but having to enter in an entire map can be tedious(sp?).

*form follows function*

AggressionNov-06-06 02:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2737, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 7

I can setup the db so each user can upload any files we want. I can have them set as links with any kind of stamp we want also.

Need to get a flowchart started so we know how we want to break this down exactly. So whatever you can think of that is vital for this db, post it up and once we have our list we can then break that down into a heirarchy.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

BlackMagicNov-06-06 07:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2739, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 8

Alright well basically we need to be able to enter and view every setting. What firmware we're using, map sensor, o2 sensor, injectors, what board we're using, flyback board or not. Be able to load up all of the fuel/spark tables. Man there's just so much to consider, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

*form follows function*

AggressionNov-07-06 02:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2740, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 9

Thats why we are brainstorming. Once its all done it will be a great tool for everyone coming up into the MS world to utilize!

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

WickedESiNov-07-06 04:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2741, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 10

This is an absolutely wonderful idea!

I wish something like this existed when I first started with my MS, as it would have eliminated a LOT of the trial and error.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the problem with having a MSQ database? When you upload a MSQ have the user fill out a brief to detailed note about the MSQ, maybe save the user's modifications, so they don't have to retype that in the note's each time.

Then when you're browsing MSQ's for download, it will tell you the MSQ'd uploaded by a user, and the date uploaded, you click on one, and before it downloads, it goes to the note with a "Download Now" button.

I think nearly all MS users have the never ending tuning bug, but having a DB with just recent MSQ's would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful to new MS'ers and seasoned ones alike.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

BlackMagicNov-07-06 08:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2743, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 11

I think the problem with the MSQ's is that a lot of people run different firmwares, so the MSQ's can't always just be uploaded. Maybe we could have it show all of the settings, and then at the bottom have the MSQ file to download incase that is the firmware you are using.

*form follows function*

AggressionNov-07-06 11:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2744, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 12

I think we can have it all. The more detailed we get the more user friendly it becomes.

So once the user uploads the msq file it will timestamp the upload date. Each user will have their own page where you can update/modify and delete all your information whether it be mods/msq/images of settings. Within each users information it will be required of each user to submit their firmware/board/version information, and this info will be used within the search function so people can do a search and only information that pertains to their search will be displayed.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

BlackMagicNov-07-06 12:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2745, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 13
Nov-07-06 12:29 PM by BlackMagic

Perhaps the search parameters could be something like a drop down menu. Maybe something like

What board version are you using?
-MSI V2.2
-MSI V3.0
-show all

What firmware are you using?
-024s13
-029t
-show all

What size injectors are you using?
-200-300cc
-300-400cc
-400-500cc
-500-600cc
-600-700cc
-700cc+
-show all

What impedance?
-low impedance
-high impedance
-show all

What turbo are you using?(This part I'm not too sure how to do, there are tons of turbo's out there with different setups.)
-14b
-16g
-20g
-t3/t4
-sc-61
-show all

What map sensor are you using?
-250kpa
-300kpa
-400kpa
-show all

What wideband are you using?
-narrowband
-wideband linear ouput
-wideband non-linear output(zeitronix)
-show all

and any other things

and then display results from most relevant to least relevant or something of the sort.

*form follows function*

AggressionNov-07-06 05:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2746, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 14

I don't think we need that many search parameters, but its a good start though. I think the search function should be derived around the board/firmware side. Then once they find those who are running the same thing...they can look at that persons mod list to compare.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

TeamDR1665Nov-09-06 05:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#2750, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 15

This is a very cool ideas, you guys. I wish I had actually installed my MS back when I got it. I'd love to help with this, but I know dick about MS as far as code and tuning. /bummer

WickedESiNov-10-06 04:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2757, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 16

I don't think anyone should be directly loading someone else's configuration (except maybe if some base MSQ's where posted for "this firmware"), but rather the MSQ's would be uploaded for 2GNT'ers to open in MegaTune and just look/learn from them.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

AggressionNov-10-06 09:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2758, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 17

I can see your reasoning on that. I am glad everyone is putting their thoughts into this...it just makes for a better tool for everyone in the long run. As soon as we all come to a definative agreement on everything it will also make the building process go much smoother.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

mreigleNov-27-06 01:33 AM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
#2767, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 18
Nov-27-06 01:46 AM by mreigle

I am a newb so please don't flame me but I think you guys are making this way too complicated.

Why don't you just start a new topic called MS setups and everyone can post their setup. You could have required information for each post. A simple table with fields in it could add structure to the topic if eveyone uses the same table.

edit: I tried to post a table and the forum didn't accept the code fr the cell structure.

Maybe just a list to be answered:

Board Version=
Firmware=
Injector Size=
Turbo=
Map Sensor=
Wideband=

AggressionDec-08-06 09:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2792, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 19

They can do that too...I can see your point...but how would making a database be making it MORE complicated? I would think orginizing all the data into a database and giving each user the option to search for their paticular version/inject/firmware...etc would be LESS complicated and a lot LESS scrolling.

Imagine if everyone up here did that...and you wanted to find something pertaining to something in paticular and had to scroll through 25 pages of posts or just type in the criteria you wanted in a search and you were then prompted with links to everyone that falls in that category.

I mean I understand your point...but I don't agree with it! Thats just my opinion of course. I guess everyone that uses databases in the world today just haven't realized how complicated they are making their lives...instead the forum software was there all along.

Thank you! You have solved a crisis that spans the globe!

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

mreigleDec-08-06 11:55 PM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
#2795, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 20

I am a database admin and I understand the advantages and disadvantages of different types of data warehousing.

I am also a 420a owner who appreciates this knowledgebase. A foreign database could disappear just like so many images on this site that are outside links. A special forum section would be here to stay with the rest of this knowlege. I don't think I need t go into searching the forum but you could choose to just search the "MS-setups" forum or whatever it is going to be called for your criteria.

I don't want to discourage this project. My goal is to make it simple so that people don't get bogged down in the details. The end result needs to be there for users of this forum 5 years from now.

ezDec-12-06 10:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#2812, "RE: Thoughts for MS users"
In response to Reply # 21

I can also help setup the database too, as I have a background in db software/queries, descriptive stats, etc... PM me if you ever need some help setting this up. I think it's a great idea.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2729 Previous topic | Next topic