Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #161
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any need for the factory ECU?" Previous topic | Next topic
extreme97ntOct-06-04 04:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#161, "Any need for the factory ECU?"

OK I got my megasquirt kit in the mail the other day. I got it all together and tested with the test kit. Is there any need for the factory ecu? I was planning on replacing all the gauges wiht autometer cobalts. What else would I need the factory ecu for? HVAC? It would be nice to get rid of all the bs wireing in the car.

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
www.cnnmotorsports.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, MrSlick, Oct-06-04 04:35 PM, #1
RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, extreme97nt, Oct-06-04 04:47 PM, #2
      RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, Teametx, Oct-06-04 04:49 PM, #3
           RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, extreme97nt, Oct-06-04 04:51 PM, #4
                RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, MrSlick, Oct-06-04 05:02 PM, #5
                RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, jsupetran, Oct-06-04 05:05 PM, #6
                     RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, TeamMetalJim, Oct-06-04 07:09 PM, #7
                          RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, SilverBullet20g, Oct-07-04 04:30 AM, #8
                          RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, MrSlick, Oct-07-04 06:04 AM, #9
                               RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, extreme97nt, Oct-09-04 01:50 AM, #10
                                    RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, Eclipse2NR, Oct-11-04 12:59 PM, #11
                                         RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, WickedESi, Jul-11-06 02:50 PM, #12
                                              RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, Chamuko, Jul-11-06 08:15 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, Teamner947, Jul-12-06 05:38 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-12-06 10:33 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Any need for the factory ECU?, WickedESi, Jul-13-06 07:33 AM, #16

MrSlickOct-06-04 04:35 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#162, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 0

You could get rid of the stock pcm... but some of the functions that it does are below, some can be replaced some can't:

Spedometer/Odometer - pcm takes the tranny speed sensor and uses that to make the signal sent to the speedo. Possible to fake with some work.
HVAC - pcm turns on the clutc and extra AC fan. No problem to rewire.
OBD-II - pcm controls this. Do you need to have it in your state?
Ignition - as of today the pcm is still needed to do the ignition unless you do the EDIS. My ignition setup should be running soon though. Then no more need for stock pcm.

That's about all I can think of for now...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

extreme97ntOct-06-04 04:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#163, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks fpr the fast response. I think I will be ripping it out then. I want the MS to run everything. The car is no longer my daily driver so it is a project/track/weekend car. As for inspection I will just buy a sticker when it comes time. How about power windows and locks? Will that stuff need to be rewired too?

www.cnnmotorsports.com

TeametxOct-06-04 04:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#164, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 2

What about the IAC?

extreme97ntOct-06-04 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#165, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 3

The Mega Squirt will control that too, no?

www.cnnmotorsports.com

MrSlickOct-06-04 05:02 PM
1120 posts,
#166, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 4

Good one etx... I knew I was forgetting something.

Right now the stock pcm controls our IAC.
There isn't any Ms code yet for a "Chrysler" IAC.

So you either replace it with sonother type of IAC... GM maybe... or do something else... lol.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

jsupetranOct-06-04 05:05 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#167, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 4

WOW so this thing can control everything? WOW again. I think we may have our weapon to run with the 4g63rs. What about if your auto? Are we out of luck (like we are with the afx ecu)?

-------jezreel
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting

TeamMetalJimOct-06-04 07:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#168, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 6

The voltage regulator is built into the ECU. http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=66028&mesg_id=66028&page=

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
15.7 @ 87.9mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

SilverBullet20gOct-07-04 04:30 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#169, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 7

Wow, I thought the MS was just a piggyback... I already ripped out my PCM and harness.. All of my wiring and EMS are now behind my glovebox..

Mr. Slick: How much would it be for a full stand alone with ignition control? I know you said it's not done yet, I was just trying to compare what I have spent on my AEM EMS system. I know yours is a lot cheaper.

(parting out 95 GS)

MrSlickOct-07-04 06:04 AM
1120 posts,
#170, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by MetalJim
The voltage regulator is built into the ECU. http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=66028&mesg_id=66028&page= 95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed 15.7 @ 87.9mph Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

That is correct...

Plus dont forget that the PCM creates the 9V for the cam and crank sensors... if we use the crank sensor with no pcm we need 9V for it

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

extreme97ntOct-09-04 01:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#171, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 9

Hmmmm... Maybe I will leave it in there and slowly try and remove it. I can see nothing working If I just rip it out.

www.cnnmotorsports.com

Eclipse2NROct-11-04 12:59 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2002
581 posts,
#172, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 10

I eventually plan to phase out my ECU completely as well. Let's keep this thread up to date as new information emerges.

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Aerogear Body / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic rev.2 / T3 Turbo Intercooled @ 8 psi / http://www.team2nr.com
Mark Galyan - Indianapolis, Indiana

WickedESiJul-11-06 02:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2213, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 11

Oh boy, I thought I wouldn't have to buy another ECU (the one I have is toast, and I sold the last one I bought for half of what I paid for it).

Does ANYONE know how to get by the voltage regulator or speedometer so you don't need the stock ECU?

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ChamukoJul-11-06 08:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#2216, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 12

voltage, mopar sells a part for that no?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Teamner947Jul-12-06 05:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2217, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 13

Yeah, there is a MOPAR part that makes the alternator work without the ECU. I don't know the part number, but I think Dino does.

You'll need an 8-9 volt regulator installed into your MS to get the right voltage to the CrPS.

I think you can just hook up the speedometer output straight to the gauge cluster...?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-12-06 10:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2218, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 14

The Speedo can be wired directly to the sensor.

You can use a Dodge Omni external voltage regulator to regulate the alternator. Google for the TEC3 documentation that describes this.

The CrPS is rumored to also work on 12V. Try it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

WickedESiJul-13-06 07:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2223, "RE: Any need for the factory ECU?"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by DarkOne
The CrPS is rumored to also work on 12V. Try it.

I don't know if I'm that brave to try that because that sensor is the reason my last 2 engines pre-ignited and died, and I don't know how to setup a 9v out from the MS.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #161 Previous topic | Next topic