Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1410
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megasquirt Question" Previous topic | Next topic
evotunedsccSep-27-05 05:54 PM
Member since Jul 04th 2004
83 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1410, "Megasquirt Question"

I need some good fuel management. I'm really considering Megasquirt combined with a set of 450cc injectors I already have. If I order a pre-assembled kit from rs-autosport.com will I be able to run 15lbs safely with the fuel maps that come with the unit? Another general question. I've recently gotten my car back from a motor rebuild with forged internals. When my car goes to boosting (2-4 lbs) it fuel cuts. It never used to fuel cut like this before, does anyone have any tips for this?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Megasquirt Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-27-05 06:02 PM, #1
RE: Megasquirt Question, evotunedscc, Sep-27-05 06:13 PM, #2
      RE: Megasquirt Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-27-05 06:15 PM, #3
           RE: Megasquirt Question, evotunedscc, Sep-27-05 06:22 PM, #4
                RE: Megasquirt Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-27-05 06:35 PM, #5
                     RE: Megasquirt Question, evotunedscc, Sep-27-05 06:43 PM, #6
                          RE: Megasquirt Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-27-05 08:00 PM, #7
                          RE: Megasquirt Question, evotunedscc, Sep-28-05 03:39 AM, #9
                               RE: Megasquirt Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-28-05 09:22 AM, #10
                                    RE: Megasquirt Question, evotunedscc, Sep-28-05 09:37 AM, #11
                                         RE: Megasquirt Question, djtrickee, Sep-28-05 09:43 AM, #12
                                         RE: Megasquirt Question, MCubed45, Sep-28-05 01:25 PM, #13
                          RE: Megasquirt Question, WIDECLIPSE, Sep-28-05 03:28 AM, #8
                               RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-28-05 02:17 PM, #14
                               RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys, HiOnPSI, Sep-28-05 03:28 PM, #15
                                    RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-29-05 11:40 AM, #18
                                         RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys, djtrickee, Sep-29-05 11:42 AM, #19
                               RE: Megasquirt Question, hs_elrod, Sep-28-05 05:46 PM, #16
                                    RE: Megasquirt Question, evotunedscc, Sep-28-05 06:05 PM, #17
                                         RE: Megasquirt Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-29-05 12:22 PM, #20

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-27-05 06:02 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1411, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Rodney's kits do not come with a preloaded map the last i checked but something may have changed. with the MS you will be able to run 15psi with the proper tuning. You WILL need to tune the MS regardless of who makes it for you.

As far your Fuel cut, I would need to know what you are using as a voltage clamp on the Map sensor. Missing Link, electronic FCD, or greddy e-manage ect?

unless your car is a 95 (or some 96's) you will need to keep the ECU from seeing any voltage over 4.70v for more than 2 secs.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

evotunedsccSep-27-05 06:13 PM
83 posts,
#1412, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-27-05 06:14 PM by evotunedscc

I dont think I'm using anything as a clamp. I dont think I've ever had anything as a clamp tho. No FCD or missing link. I've ran 10lbs before and the fuel was fine except for the injectors not holding it well.... but maybe that whole time it was a fuel cut. Because it wasn't even holding 5 lbs sometimes. I dont know a whole lot, just know that when I'm boosting easy for the break-in period on the motor, that the car lunges forward and stops getting any power. Used to, I thought I needed better fuel management computer because I'd give the car full throttle, and it would stop getting power, but keep spooling up... not really lunging like it is now sometimes. I've got a Walbro255 fuel pump, holley 12:1 fmu, stock injectors and that's it for fuel system. I'm just really friggin confused right now on what needs to be done to get the fuel to respond right.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-27-05 06:15 PM
8331 posts,
#1413, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Well for starters tell me what year our car is.

Terry

evotunedsccSep-27-05 06:22 PM
83 posts,
#1414, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 3

1999 eclipse rs

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-27-05 06:35 PM
8331 posts,
#1415, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-27-05 06:36 PM by Star Turbo Talon

I would say the motor is hitting a form of fuel cut. you will need a missing link or an electronic FCD. Not all cars react to positive pressure the same way. some fall flat on thier face others like mine just hiccup.

A type of voltage clamp should clear up your problem. why you are seeing it now and not so much before could be because the motor is different.

A megasquirt will solve the problem since the ECU uses the injectors to create the situation. Grain on this site uses the MS with no voltage clamp and he does not have the slightest problem.

Terry

evotunedsccSep-27-05 06:43 PM
83 posts,
#1416, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok thanks man. Do you know where I can find someone to tune the MS? I live in south-central ky and have called around and can't find anyone with a dyno in lexington, louisville, or nashville... do u have any reasonably close suggestions?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-27-05 08:00 PM
8331 posts,
#1417, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 6

With the MS logviewer and mstweak you can tune most of the fuel part yourself, at least to make it a daily driver. as far as spark you can do that as well if you are careful and start wiht someone elses map to get you going. as far as a dyno, i recommend it but you would have to ask someone from your area about a dyno shop. I am not sure where to send you on that one.

Terry

evotunedsccSep-28-05 03:39 AM
83 posts,
#1418, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Which hardware should I get with MS. MSnEDIS or 420A/neon? I know this sounds like a retarded question but I thought I saw someone on here using MSnEDIS.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-28-05 09:22 AM
8331 posts,
#1421, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 9

edis was one of the first methods of running spark on our car. the 420a input is just the settings and a few hardware mods to input our crank signal and use that for a tach signal. So to answer your question you would be better off using the 420a input and spark control will be up to you. The latest method is to use the 4g63 ignitor and a crane ignition box for amplification.

Terry

evotunedsccSep-28-05 09:37 AM
83 posts,
#1422, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 10

Ok. I hate to make you beat a dead horse here, but given what I have: walbro 255lph fuel pump, holley 12:1 fmu, and a set of 450cc injectors. What else, as far as the fuel system, do I need to buy to safely run 20lbs of boost. Like I know I need megasquirt, but what other accessories with it? Will I need a FCD?

djtrickeeSep-28-05 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#1423, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by evotunedscc
Ok. I hate to make you beat a dead horse here, but given what I have: walbro 255lph fuel pump, holley 12:1 fmu, and a set of 450cc injectors. What else, as far as the fuel system, do I need to buy to safely run 20lbs of boost. Like I know I need megasquirt, but what other accessories with it? Will I need a FCD?

It sounds like you might be better off running the Portfueler. It sounds more your speed as far as tuning and reliability is concerned. Give HRC a call and they can pre-set it for you needs.
Otherwise you need to do about 12 days of searching and reading and taking notes here to get yourself more up-to-speed on what is necessary to run a 420a based car on such high boost conditions.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

MCubed45Sep-28-05 01:25 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1426, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 11

you need to ditch your fmu for a 1:1 fpr. you also need to buy an IAT sensor and coolant temp sensor. FCD is not needed b/c the ecu cannot cut fuel once the MS is installed.

-marc

WIDECLIPSESep-28-05 03:28 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#1419, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 6
Sep-28-05 03:31 AM by WIDECLIPSE

Ok thanks man. Do you know where I can find someone to tune the MS? I live in south-central ky and have called around and can't find anyone with a dyno in lexington, louisville, or nashville... do u have any reasonably close suggestions?
Dougie2 lives here in Nashville, I think. I know he just moved, but I don't know where. PM him and he might help you out with tuning your ms. I think he knows something about those things, lol.
Maybe we can get couple of guys together and make a meet out of it.

-Roman

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-28-05 02:17 PM
8331 posts,
#1427, "RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-28-05 02:17 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Things Reqd for MS install. Here is a general list of things reqd to run fuel control. Recommend fuel only first till you understand tunability and have it tuned, then run spark.

Fuel system:
1:1 Regulator
A return line back to the fuel tank (96-99 only/95 had a return line)
Injectors
Various fittings

Megasquirt ECU with hardware mods completed to read 420a crak signal
Harness
Injector plugs (4)
Iat sensor plug
Coolant temp sensor plug

Sensors:
Coolant temp sensor.
Intake air temp sensor

DB9 cable for a laptop communication with the Megasquirt.
Serial to usb adapter if your laptop does not have a serial plug
A Laptop! preferrably with a serial port

For spark you need to do some reading, worry about that later.
Terry

HiOnPSISep-28-05 03:28 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#1428, "RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys"
In response to Reply # 14

anyone verified that the USB to serial accessory works? i remember hearing that it didn't in some situations.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04
1996 Honda Civic DX

www.haiokuracing.com

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-29-05 11:40 AM
8331 posts,
#1433, "RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by HiOnPSI
anyone verified that the USB to serial accessory works? i remember hearing that it didn't in some situations. Jon 1997 Eclipse RS 12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04 1996 Honda Civic DX www.haiokuracing.com

I have one from tiger direct and i dont have any issues. There is a 30.00 card you can buy and install inside the MS to make it a USB interface. This has proven to work will all functions of MS including loading the s19 files. Mine will soon have one.

djtrickeeSep-29-05 11:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#1434, "RE: Megasquirt reqd parts accrys"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Originally posted by HiOnPSI anyone verified that the USB to serial accessory works? i remember hearing that it didn't in some situations. Jon 1997 Eclipse RS 12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04 1996 Honda Civic DX www.haiokuracing.com
I have one from tiger direct and i dont have any issues. There is a 30.00 card you can buy and install inside the MS to make it a USB interface. This has proven to work will all functions of MS including loading the s19 files. Mine will soon have one.

linky?

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

hs_elrodSep-28-05 05:46 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#1429, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by WIDECLIPSE

Maybe we can get couple of guys together and make a meet out of it.

I'm there I have been dyin to meet you guys.

I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn.

evotunedsccSep-28-05 06:05 PM
83 posts,
#1430, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 16

Guys i think djtrickee might be right. I might have a little extra money to put into this car. Would portfueler be MUCH better than Megasquirt? As far as me having a local, but very good mechanic tuning the MS versus an easier to setup portfueler. And also, which one will perform more accurately?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-29-05 12:22 PM
8331 posts,
#1435, "RE: Megasquirt Question"
In response to Reply # 17

I have a biased opinion since i have a MS. As far as a portfueler, its easier but it has the same type of tuning. you still need to tune a ve map. If you use the MS for fuel only you will have a more accurate mixture with changing outside air temps.

here are some pros/cons for both: everyone can add to this really.

Portfueler pros over MS
bolt on
ECU controls idle so you have a factory like idle.
ECU controls daily driving out of boost...no check engine light
with port feuler you adjust only your boost ve map

Cons with portf
No intake air temp compensation, you may have to adjust as seasons change
cost 1000.00
map sensor only ready to 21psi....2.5 bar sensor
map sensor not upgradeable
you will need you own datalogging software
no o2/wideband correction input.
8 injectors more fuel lines

MS Pros over portf
02/wideband correction
intake air temp correction
upgradable map sensor to 4 bar 44 psi
cheaper, whole setup cost 500-600. mine cost me 400.
MS is diy so you can repair it if you break something
MS has its own display if you choose to add it
MS is a growing platform so you can add:
nitrous control
timing control
water injection
knock sensor capabilities
launch control
you mind can be the limit on these
With MS you can tune your Idle and driveability any way you choose
MS has its own datalogging software and ve table tweaking software
only 4 injectors less fuel lines ect

Cons with MS
more building and adding of sensors
slightly more tuning
Cel light that wont go away since the ecu isnt controlling primary injectors.

i am sure there are a few more cons but thats all i can think of

To make this decision for yourself you need to read up on the MS and portfueler.

Now if you go with a used e034 from a member here you can acquire the whole setup for about 500-600. keep that in mind

Terry

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1410 Previous topic | Next topic