Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1377
View in linear mode

Subject: "anti-lag system questions" Previous topic | Next topic
rs-pssstSep-21-05 05:39 AM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1377, "anti-lag system questions"

I am trying t pick out a turbo, and i am leaning towards the sc61 (0.63a/r, 56trim).

I am not too concerned about lag because I like my traction

Has anyone heard of this trick for anti-lag:

I guess its a trick NHRA sport compact dudes use. Something along the lines of "Dump a ton of fuel in, pull timing waaaaay back and spool like a mutha!". Essentially you create a back-fire inside the header collector that spools the turbo instantly.

Is this safe to do? and if so, at what rpms/pressure?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: anti-lag system questions, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-21-05 11:43 AM, #1
RE: anti-lag system questions, hs_elrod, Sep-22-05 07:34 AM, #2
      RE: anti-lag system questions, Keith2172, Sep-22-05 12:28 PM, #3
           RE: anti-lag system questions, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-22-05 01:04 PM, #4
                RE: anti-lag system questions, TeamDR1665, Oct-12-05 09:55 AM, #5
                     RE: anti-lag system questions, WickedESi, Oct-12-05 10:54 AM, #6
                          RE: anti-lag system questions, Teamner947, Oct-12-05 06:33 PM, #7
                               RE: anti-lag system questions, Keith2172, Oct-13-05 11:48 AM, #8

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-21-05 11:43 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1379, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 0

That method is used by a lot of people other than nhra drag racing. You can do this with the MS in launch control.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hs_elrodSep-22-05 07:34 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#1386, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 1

is it safe? what are the risks?

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.

Keith2172Sep-22-05 12:28 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#1387, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 2

I wouldn't know why youd want to use this in drag racing, just rev the engine and dump the clutch
I've seen this normally used in a rally racing and the idea is as follows;
Race into a turn at full boost, let off the accel. to brake going into the turn, the ECU senses the decel (lower TPS reading) and dumps fuel while pulling timing, you hear a loud popping that sounds like your exhaust manifold is going to explode (cause the fuel is detonating against the super-heated turbine wheel) and notice your boost guage hasn't dropped at all, come out of the turn full boost roarin' like a mutha and lookin' like a hero (well, the hero part is more about whether or not you can pull it off) savvy?

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

RxR_EclipseSep-22-05 01:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1388, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-22-05 01:06 PM by RxR_Eclipse

Originally posted by Keith2172
I wouldn't know why youd want to use this in drag racing, just rev the engine and dump the clutch

I believe this method is used to help spool up large turbos, these are the guys want to keep in a 'one power adder' class. If you use nitrous to spool the turbo you get into a '2 power adder' class even though your not really using the nitrous to gain much power. At least that is how they do it at our local drag strip.
I saw one guy at our local drag strip, he uses a holset *I think* from a truck. He builds like 12 psi before he even leaves the line using a method similar this.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

TeamDR1665Oct-12-05 09:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#1456, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 4

I've heard that some crazy VW guys will weld a bung in their exhaust manifold that just runs a 100% DC injector when they are off the throttle. Same thing, but very low tech and ghetto.

WickedESiOct-12-05 10:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#1457, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by DR1665
I've heard that some crazy VW guys will weld a bung in their exhaust manifold that just runs a 100% DC injector when they are off the throttle. Same thing, but very low tech and ghetto.

lol, a fuel line and plastic injector connected directly to your exhaust manifold doesn't sound too smart.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Teamner947Oct-12-05 06:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1458, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 6

Not to mention an anti-lag system can really mess up your turbo quick. If you've got the cash, and you are really into winning, then it doesn't matter much.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Keith2172Oct-13-05 11:48 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#1459, "RE: anti-lag system questions"
In response to Reply # 7

I think the method described by Driggs is more of a mechanical fuel injection in which it's hard lined to the manifold with metal line and jetted. It then has a on/off electric valve wired to a box controled by the TPS.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1377 Previous topic | Next topic