Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectanti-lag system questions
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=1377
1377, anti-lag system questions
Posted by rs-pssst, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am trying t pick out a turbo, and i am leaning towards the sc61 (0.63a/r, 56trim).

I am not too concerned about lag because I like my traction }(

Has anyone heard of this trick for anti-lag:

I guess its a trick NHRA sport compact dudes use. Something along the lines of "Dump a ton of fuel in, pull timing waaaaay back and spool like a mutha!". Essentially you create a back-fire inside the header collector that spools the turbo instantly.

Is this safe to do? and if so, at what rpms/pressure?
1379, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That method is used by a lot of people other than nhra drag racing. You can do this with the MS in launch control.

Terry
1386, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by hs_elrod, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is it safe? what are the risks?

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. :) The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.
1387, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't know why youd want to use this in drag racing, just rev the engine and dump the clutch :shrug
I've seen this normally used in a rally racing and the idea is as follows;
Race into a turn at full boost, let off the accel. to brake going into the turn, the ECU senses the decel (lower TPS reading) and dumps fuel while pulling timing, you hear a loud popping that sounds like your exhaust manifold is going to explode (cause the fuel is detonating against the super-heated turbine wheel) and notice your boost guage hasn't dropped at all, come out of the turn full boost roarin' like a mutha and lookin' like a hero (well, the hero part is more about whether or not you can pull it off) savvy?
1388, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Keith2172
I wouldn't know why youd want to use this in drag racing, just rev the engine and dump the clutch :shrug

I believe this method is used to help spool up large turbos, these are the guys want to keep in a 'one power adder' class. If you use nitrous to spool the turbo you get into a '2 power adder' class even though your not really using the nitrous to gain much power. At least that is how they do it at our local drag strip.
I saw one guy at our local drag strip, he uses a holset *I think* from a truck. He builds like 12 psi before he even leaves the line using a method similar this.
1456, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've heard that some crazy VW guys will weld a bung in their exhaust manifold that just runs a 100% DC injector when they are off the throttle. Same thing, but very low tech and ghetto. :P
1457, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
I've heard that some crazy VW guys will weld a bung in their exhaust manifold that just runs a 100% DC injector when they are off the throttle. Same thing, but very low tech and ghetto. :P

lol, a fuel line and plastic injector connected directly to your exhaust manifold doesn't sound too smart.
1458, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not to mention an anti-lag system can really mess up your turbo quick. If you've got the cash, and you are really into winning, then it doesn't matter much.
1459, RE: anti-lag system questions
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think the method described by Driggs is more of a mechanical fuel injection in which it's hard lined to the manifold with metal line and jetted. It then has a on/off electric valve wired to a box controled by the TPS.
I generated this page in 0.0078690052032471 seconds, executing 7 queries.