Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1359
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which wideband to go with MS??" Previous topic | Next topic
SemperboostSep-18-05 06:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1359, "Which wideband to go with MS??"

I'm planning a rebuild and eventually Megasquirt in a month or two. I'll get the engine (maybe HipHops) then get a Wideband 02. And after a month ditch the SFMU/ 30lbers and dive into the Megasquirt. Which wideband do you guys recommend and would be compatible with the MS for later? I have a exhaust cutout on my DP so putting the sensor on the testpipe wouldn't be so great. Is it possible to switch out the stock front O2 NB sensor with a WB one? THanks

Alvin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, XMasta19, Sep-18-05 10:09 AM, #1
RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, MCubed45, Sep-19-05 08:53 AM, #2
      RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamner947, Sep-19-05 05:32 PM, #3
           RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-19-05 06:12 PM, #4
                RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, MCubed45, Sep-19-05 07:32 PM, #5
                RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamner947, Sep-19-05 07:35 PM, #6
                     RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-20-05 04:04 AM, #7
                          RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamner947, Sep-20-05 12:19 PM, #8
                               RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Semperboost, Sep-20-05 01:00 PM, #9
                                    RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamner947, Sep-20-05 04:50 PM, #10
                                         RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Semperboost, Sep-20-05 05:42 PM, #11
                                              RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, MCubed45, Sep-20-05 08:09 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamner947, Sep-21-05 12:29 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, MCubed45, Sep-21-05 03:36 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamdougie2, Sep-22-05 04:16 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, Teamner947, Sep-22-05 03:20 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, KBallistiks, Feb-14-06 08:00 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, XMasta19, Feb-14-06 11:18 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, KBallistiks, Feb-15-06 06:34 PM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Which wideband to go with MS??, RxR_Eclipse, Feb-16-06 08:36 PM, #20

XMasta19Sep-18-05 10:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1360, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 0

There is no problem replacing your front o2 sensor if you replace it with a wideband that comes with a narrowband output. You put your wb02 sensor in the front spot, send the narrowband signal to make your ecu happy, and send the wideband signal to the ms. I prefer the zeitronix zt-2

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Sep-19-05 08:53 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1361, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 1

some WBO2's don't like to be that close to the manifold (where the stock upstream NBO2 is). depends on the sensor i guess...

-marc

Teamner947Sep-19-05 05:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1362, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-19-05 05:34 PM by ner947

The MSI will support a whole bunch of widebands... I'll drop a few names:

settings.ini
#unset NARROW_BAND_EGO "Narrowband Sensor"
#unset WB_1_0_LINEAR "Wideband in NB Emulator Mode, 0-1v 1.5:0.5 Lambda"
#unset AEM_LINEAR "AEM Gauge AEM-30-42xx"
#unset AEM_NON_LINEAR "AEM UEGO Controller AEM-30-230x"
#unset DIYWB_NON_LINEAR "DIY-WB or Tech Edge non-linear output"
#set TECHEDGE_LINEAR "Tech Edge sensor giving 0-5V 9-19:1 AFR"
#unset INNOVATE_1_2_LINEAR "Innovate sensor giving 1-2V 10-20:1 AFR"
#unset INNOVATE_0_5_LINEAR "Innovate, PLX 0-5V 10-20:1 AFR"
#unset ZEITRONIX_NON_LINEAR "Zeitronix Non-linear WB"
#unset WB_UNKNOWN "Wideband sensor but none of the above types"

That is cut and paste from my config file. I believe with the MSII you can define your own curve, but don't quote me on that.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

RxR_EclipseSep-19-05 06:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1363, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-19-05 06:13 PM by RxR_Eclipse

Nate which version of the code do you have? I want to use the aem feed and sell my techedge unit.
O yea, I would recomend either the aem unit or the techedge, I have both although the aem unit is nothing more than a gauge for me at the moment.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

MCubed45Sep-19-05 07:32 PM
2706 posts,
#1364, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-19-05 07:34 PM by MCubed45

the AEM gauge is pretty

so the output from the AEM UEGO is non-linear? i thought it had a 0-5v output for use with any stand-alone system. i kinda assumed that was a linear output

*edit*
or is there a different output coming from off the gauge than if you had just the controller?

-marc

Teamner947Sep-19-05 07:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1365, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 4

I bet the AEM would work fine with the MS... What kind of output does it have... 0 volts = ?:1 AFR and 5 volts = ?:1 AFR? If you are lucky it will fall into one of the catagories in the config file. If it doesn't and you are really motovated you can always code it in yourself.

I am running the latest alpha revision, 025x1 I believe. I've been playing around with different code versions and different MT versions in an attempt to get the realtime barometric correction to work. I just test drove it for the first time tonight, this code version claims to have software fixes for the ~2600 RPM misfire but I still get it, the datalog says that I get random tach spikes (RPM goes to infinity at random points near 2600 RPM's) I think it has something to do with my VR tachometer input circuit because the new code doesn't fix it nor does the old code.

I think that the solution lies in the adjustment of the 2 potentiometers, one adjusts the hysteresis and one adjust the zero crossing point. Right now I have it tuned so the range of the crank angle sensor output, upper side of R54 (on the 3.0 board) or the heat sink side does not go above 3.0 volts and does not go below 1.0 volts. One of the resistors adjusts the range and other adjusts the center point. It's kind of tricky... I had problems with the Opto isolator circuit so I decided to switch over to the non-isolated VR circuit. The Opto circuit on the -extra site always seemed kind of hokey, there is one pull-up resistor there which sort of defeats the purpose of the isolator. In other words my gut tells me that the schematic is wrong.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

RxR_EclipseSep-20-05 04:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1367, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by ner947
I am running the latest alpha revision, 025x1 I believe. I've been playing around with different code versions and different MT versions in an attempt to get the realtime barometric correction to work. I just test drove it for the first time tonight, this code version claims to have software fixes for the ~2600 RPM misfire but I still get it, the datalog says that I get random tach spikes (RPM goes to infinity at random points near 2600 RPM's)

I also get this misfire, although my rpm never spikes...I'll download this latest version and see if it fixes the burp....

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Teamner947Sep-20-05 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1369, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, the spikes are really annoying. They seem to go away after the engine heats up though... kind of weird. I looked at the raw crank angle waveform with my scope and every now and then it will catch a nasty spike in the negative direction, possibly a result of interference from the ignition wires. Eventually I want to cut the stock ECU off from the crank angle sensor, it's just another device attached to it and who knows what the ECU does to that output. Idealy I would like to run some coax to the sensor, maybe 1 special piece or 2 seperate pieces... The sheild would go to ground and the center conductor would go to the output, maybe run another line with a sheilded power wire. Right now I have the blue wire on the ECU tapped. The control voltage for the sensor is 9 volts...? Either I would have to get a 9 volt regulator or maybe it will still work with 12 or 5 volts?

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

SemperboostSep-20-05 01:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
#1371, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 8

Does it make sense to get the Zeitronix one with the display and then in a month or two get the MS and laptop??
Alvin

http://www.cardomain.com/id/96rst

Teamner947Sep-20-05 04:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1372, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Semperboost
Does it make sense to get the Zeitronix one with the display and then in a month or two get the MS and laptop??

Sure. The Zeitronix is listed above so it will be easily adaped to the current MSI code.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

SemperboostSep-20-05 05:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
#1373, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 10

I mean to say that...won't the MS display all that if I hook up the probes to it? THanks for the replies, just trying to buy things in the proper order.
Alvin

http://www.cardomain.com/id/96rst

MCubed45Sep-20-05 08:09 PM
2706 posts,
#1374, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Semperboost
I mean to say that...won't the MS display all that if I hook up the probes to it? THanks for the replies, just trying to buy things in the proper order. Alvin http://www.cardomain.com/id/96rst

the MS can display all the input info it's getting in real time as a set of gauges, but that would require you having your laptop hooked up to the MS while you're driving. it's probably more convenient having a gauge/display. of course if you've got a carputer with a nice display then you could just use the MS display in place of a whole bunch of regular gauges but this isn't really an option for most. i think i'm goin with the AEM unit so i'll have a nice digitial A/F gauge as well as a nice signal to feed the MS.

hehe actually come to think of it the idea of having a carputer constantly hooked up to the MS with display and stuff is kinda neat... anyone doin that? it'd be like in the Fast & the Furious an all mad tyte yo!

-marc

Teamner947Sep-21-05 12:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1380, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 12

There's a little gizmo called MegaView. I've never used it before, but it looks pretty cool.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mv/megaview.html

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

MCubed45Sep-21-05 03:36 PM
2706 posts,
#1384, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 13

There's a little gizmo called MegaView. I've never used it before, but it looks pretty cool. http://www.bgsoflex.com/mv/megaview.html

oh yea i completely forgot about that thingy...

i think i'd still prefer having a couple traditional gauges even though the MS is already monitoring everything

-marc

Teamdougie2Sep-22-05 04:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1385, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 13

There's a little gizmo called MegaView. I've never used it before, but it looks pretty cool. http://www.bgsoflex.com/mv/megaview.html

The MegaView doesn't work well with MSnS-Extra firmware. Don't bother even trying.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Teamner947Sep-22-05 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1390, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 15

Hmmmm, didn't know that.

I bet there will be some kind of CAN bus MegaView when the MSII hits the mainstream.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

KBallistiksFeb-14-06 08:00 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2003
55 posts,
#1788, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 16

Sorry to resurrect but could this be a good option for use with the ms?

XMasta19Feb-14-06 11:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#1789, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by KBallistiks
Sorry to resurrect but could this be a good option for use with the ms?

could what

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

KBallistiksFeb-15-06 06:34 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2003
55 posts,
#1790, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 18

lol yeah it woulda helped to post the link...Sorry Guys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7993454832&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

RxR_EclipseFeb-16-06 08:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1791, "RE: Which wideband to go with MS??"
In response to Reply # 19

Just a sensor alone will not suffice. You need the controller to go with it. That is why widebands are rather expensive. FYI that sensor is over priced, I pay 35$ for the sensor for my techedge contoller. Look into the AEM unit, its around 250$ now. There are tons of widebands out there, determine what your needs are and then decide on which one is best suited for your needs.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1359 Previous topic | Next topic