Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1314
View in linear mode

Subject: "Who uses the Megasquirt?" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTSep-13-05 10:37 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1314, "Who uses the Megasquirt?"

I am not trying to get replies telling me to search about the topic, all I am asking is who on this board actually uses the Megasquirt and how you like it? I see some people like it as a couple others that I seen while searching were not so fond of it because tuning and installing was "confusing."

I realize Megasquirt is not for rookies, and thats why I have not bought or attempted to use it yet.

I read everyday between the 8 injector setup, portfueler and MS.

My fuel system is just being a bitch and always has since day 1, and over winter, I am going one of these three routes.

I know other ppl are going to say, search to see who is using it, but I have seen a couple posts of people talking about going MS and never ended up saying if they did or not, so I am simply asking who is running it and how they like it.

Lets try to keep it on topics please.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Teamner947, Sep-13-05 11:02 AM, #1
RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-13-05 06:18 PM, #2
      RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-14-05 07:28 AM, #3
           RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Teamner947, Sep-14-05 03:23 PM, #4
                RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, djtrickee, Sep-14-05 03:25 PM, #5
                RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-15-05 02:29 PM, #6
                     RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, MCubed45, Sep-15-05 03:04 PM, #7
                          RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-16-05 04:23 AM, #8
                          RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Teamner947, Sep-16-05 11:16 AM, #9
                               RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-16-05 11:57 AM, #10
                                    RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-16-05 05:07 PM, #11
                                         RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, grain, Sep-18-05 08:26 AM, #12
RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, rs-pssst, Sep-19-05 08:37 PM, #13
RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, grain, Sep-25-05 04:14 AM, #14
      RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Teamdougie2, Sep-25-05 08:21 AM, #15
           RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Teamner947, Sep-25-05 09:23 AM, #16
                RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, phpzender, Dec-19-05 04:30 AM, #17
                     RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-19-05 08:56 AM, #18
                          RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, phpzender, Dec-22-05 02:50 PM, #19
                               RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, TeamDR1665, Dec-27-05 05:29 AM, #20
                                    RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Kaoz78, Dec-27-05 06:39 PM, #21
                                    RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, rs-pssst, Dec-29-05 02:07 PM, #22
                                         RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?, Ready4Dis, Jan-08-06 08:15 AM, #23

Teamner947Sep-13-05 11:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1315, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 0

The MS requires a lot of time to properly set up and tune, I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver unless you really know what you are doing.

Although after a few months of driving, messing with settings, changing code, etc... it's pretty sweet. You will get better throttle response, more torque, better MPG and the engine will run much smoother overall.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-13-05 06:18 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1316, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-13-05 06:18 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Since NAte cant play ball like a team pler and needs to toot his own horn, i will answer simply. I Have it!

HEHEHE just kidding NAte

RxR_EclipseSep-14-05 07:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1322, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-14-05 07:30 AM by RxR_Eclipse

I use it. Daily driver.......every now and then I get a hickup (small loss of power). Other than that it runs great. I really beat up on this engine and it does run alot smoother than with the sfmu setup I had in the past.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Teamner947Sep-14-05 03:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1331, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
I use it. Daily driver...

Me too, if you do that you have to be willing to accept the risk. AAA is a must, although I haven't had to use it yet. Always have a multimeter, screwdrivers to take it apart, and a battery powered Cold Heat soldering iron to save the day.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

djtrickeeSep-14-05 03:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#1332, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ner947
AAA is a must, although I haven't had to use it yet.

I have AAA, and, oh yea, I've had to use it, and I'm not even MS'ed yet. lol.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-15-05 02:29 PM
8331 posts,
#1346, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ner947
Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse I use it. Daily driver...
Me too, if you do that you have to be willing to accept the risk. AAA is a must, although I haven't had to use it yet. Always have a multimeter, screwdrivers to take it apart, and a battery powered Cold Heat soldering iron to save the day.

I just carry a spare if i go on long trips.

MCubed45Sep-15-05 03:04 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1347, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 6

any of you guys had any serious breakdowns with your MS?

-marc

RxR_EclipseSep-16-05 04:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1353, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 7

I had 2. One was a fuse for injector bank #2 and the other was a ground wire came loose on my injector harness. Other than that no issues at all.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Teamner947Sep-16-05 11:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1354, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 7

The first week or so I had mine running my cold cranking pulsewidth was way too low and the car would have a tough time starting when cold. I got stuck at this one place about 10 miles from home and sat there thinking and thinking, eventually I figured out that it wasn't injecting enough fuel so I did a little keydance which primed it a whole bunch of times and it started up.

I was in New Hampshire about 2 months ago, about 4 days after installing the new 3.0 mainboard. I didn't drive my car for about a day and a half and it was really humid. The car wouldn't start when it was time to leave, I noticed that the center LED (IRQ trigger) wasn't lighting up so I knew it wasn't getting a crank angle signal. To make a long story short I had to pick a bit of flux off of the board to get it to work.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-16-05 11:57 AM
8331 posts,
#1355, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 9

I have never had a problem but i carry my laptop at all times to tweak different cold startups. I have never had it where I could get the car to start. My worse case i having to start the car a second time and its fine. You will find yourself tweaking everything for about 6 months but driveability should not be an issue once all your basics at tuned in.

Terry

TeamXtremeRSSep-16-05 05:07 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1356, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sep-16-05 05:08 PM by XtremeRS

I have never had one single issue with the MS and leaving me stranded..But just in case, I carry a spare MS with me..This car isn't a daily driver anyomore though. It made a trip back and forth from Grand Rapids Michigan to chicago, and many 1+ hour trips, and then to and from the shootout which was 3+ hours. Just made 9 passes at the drag strip a few weeks ago. Drove it home This was with the MS controlling both fuel and ignition.

Take your time building the MS, and also with running and connecting all of your wiring. Tripple check everything. Reliability is all in the assembly and install.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

grainSep-18-05 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#1358, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 11

shit. i installed the ms, in like novemeber last year, and then took a trip from florida to chicago with it. no problems.

rs-pssstSep-19-05 08:37 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
#1366, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 0

I run MS.

I like very much pulling 2 cars on my buddy's 2002 corvette racing from 50mph to 140 @21psi daily driven on the S16G.

Never been stranded from MS.

grainSep-25-05 04:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#1393, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by rs-pssst
I run MS. I like very much pulling 2 cars on my buddy's 2002 corvette racing from 50mph to 140 @21psi daily driven on the S16G. Never been stranded from MS.

i wouldnt run 21psi on a little 16g

Teamdougie2Sep-25-05 08:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1394, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by grain
Originally posted by rs-pssst I run MS. I like very much pulling 2 cars on my buddy's 2002 corvette racing from 50mph to 140 @21psi daily driven on the S16G. Never been stranded from MS.
i wouldnt run 21psi on a little 16g

Why not? Have you ever done it?

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Teamner947Sep-25-05 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1395, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 15

Yeah, it's a blast as long as you have a decent intercooler. The 16G will pump out some seriously hot air at that pressure ratio, but who cares... no one ever makes their best power at the most efficient spot of a compressor map.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

phpzenderDec-19-05 04:30 AM
Member since Sep 05th 2003
3 posts,
#1671, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 16

Hi, I do need information on the correct color code or pin number for an 96 RS Eclipse Crank Sensor cable on the factory PCM.

I'm trying to tap on it for my new MS install.

Thanks in advanced!!

- Jose

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-19-05 08:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1673, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 17

Blue / white stripe.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

phpzenderDec-22-05 02:50 PM
Member since Sep 05th 2003
3 posts,
#1675, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 18

Thanks!

Does anyone here has MS1 with V3 Board running with the Extra VB921 instead of the HEI/Eclipse GS-T modules?

I'm working on my install but I'm only getting the included VB921 circuit to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can find me in yahoo messanger: jo_torres@yahoo.com

Thanks in advanced!!!

- Jose

TeamDR1665Dec-27-05 05:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#1676, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 19

Meh.

I have MS, but still haven't installed it. I know. I know. WTF.

Other things have come up. I even had the harness made, installed, and ran. All I needed to do was connect to the sensors and injectors and I was ready to play, but I just got sidetracked.

There is no other way I would want to go, but I'm very apprehensive about the unit I have. Add to that how quickly everyone who is using MSnS around here has advanced along with the product itself, I almost wonder if I shouldn't just toss what I have and start with a new kit. Like Matt said, the Devil's in the details. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the assembly of mine, especially when it comes to the MAP sensor on this thing (some kind of upgrade and I'm staying NA).

I really need to do more research on this subject. I just don't feel comfortable playing with it just yet. One of these days, I'll just say "Fuck it" and install the damn thing. As much as I want to find a base map that won't require fucking with all the details, I might just start from scratch and follow the instructions on the MS site.

Meh.

Kaoz78Dec-27-05 06:39 PM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#1679, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by DR1665
Meh. I have MS, but still haven't installed it. I know. I know. WTF. Other things have come up. I even had the harness made, installed, and ran. All I needed to do was connect to the sensors and injectors and I was ready to play, but I just got sidetracked. There is no other way I would want to go, but I'm very apprehensive about the unit I have. Add to that how quickly everyone who is using MSnS around here has advanced along with the product itself, I almost wonder if I shouldn't just toss what I have and start with a new kit. Like Matt said, the Devil's in the details. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the assembly of mine, especially when it comes to the MAP sensor on this thing (some kind of upgrade and I'm staying NA). I really need to do more research on this subject. I just don't feel comfortable playing with it just yet. One of these days, I'll just say "Fuck it" and install the damn thing. As much as I want to find a base map that won't require fucking with all the details, I might just start from scratch and follow the instructions on the MS site. Meh.

Since you are going to stay N/A instead of boosting it like the rest of the crowd, I think you should start from scratch. You seem to shine in the face of adversity.

Originally posted by silverarrow
I never said I was going to run 13s with my car with nothing but a sack of rice.

rs-pssstDec-29-05 02:07 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
#1682, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 20

The only way you'll get to master your megasquirted system is to fuck with it. And keep fucking with it. Esp. when better fuel economy is around the corner -did someone say cruising at 16.5 AFR?

Ready4DisJan-08-06 08:15 AM
Member since Nov 29th 2004
48 posts,
#1726, "RE: Who uses the Megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 22

I am tuning my MS as we speak, although I need to get a wide band, because trying to get my VE map anywhere near accurate with my narrow band is damn near impossible .

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1314 Previous topic | Next topic