Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1028
View in linear mode

Subject: "cranking pulse widths and problems starting" Previous topic | Next topic
rs-pssstJul-05-05 12:13 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1028, "cranking pulse widths and problems starting"

what are people using for cranking pulse widths in the cranking/prime table?

mine are:

-40F 18.1
-20F 12.1
0F 8.1
20F 6.1
40F 5.6
60F 5.1
80F 4.6
100F 4.5
130F 3.6
160F 3.1

I am using 415cc injectors, my req fuel is 8.0

Is there supposed to be an rpm value showing while cranking?

I can't get this damn thing running for more than 2 seconds.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, Teamner947, Jul-05-05 01:20 PM, #1
RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, rs-pssst, Jul-05-05 01:39 PM, #2
      RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, rs-pssst, Jul-05-05 03:11 PM, #3
           RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-05-05 04:36 PM, #4
                RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-05-05 05:06 PM, #5
                     RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, rs-pssst, Jul-06-05 01:39 AM, #6
                          RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-06-05 01:48 AM, #7
                               RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, rs-pssst, Jul-06-05 01:57 AM, #8
                                    RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-06-05 10:31 AM, #9
                                         RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, rs-pssst, Jul-06-05 12:16 PM, #10
                                              RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-06-05 12:30 PM, #11
                                                   RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-07-05 02:41 AM, #12

Teamner947Jul-05-05 01:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1029, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a similar fuel setup as yours and here is my cranking pulsewidth table:

-40 21.0
-20 18.0
0 15.0
20 12.0
40 10.0
60 8.0
80 6.0
100 5.0
130 5.0
160 5.0

You should definately see RPM's while cranking... Mine are usually around 270-300 depending on how much the battery is charged.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rs-pssstJul-05-05 01:39 PM
158 posts,
#1030, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 1

what possible reasons would there be for not seeing a RPM signal. I know there is a rpm signal going through the wire because i can see it on the tach. I know that the solder connection is good as well because i checked it.

rs-pssstJul-05-05 03:11 PM
158 posts,
#1031, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 2

I am running fuel only. 415cc injectors.

What gives, I have emptied a 1/4 tank of gas and still no luck. Still no RPM signal. Could there be something wrong with the MS board and how would i test it?

Once I saw a correct RPM signal when i was playing with settings, then it went away. I could not get it back. I am using 024s9 firmware.

Here is my msq file:

http://pages.cthome.net/phearz/megasquirt-clean.msq

see any problems?

TeamXtremeRSJul-05-05 04:36 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1032, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-05-05 04:37 PM by XtremeRS

A few things, dont know if it will help or not though..For your afterstart enrichment, the numbers should be over 100%, meaning 100% adds NO fuel. I think my settings for that start at like 160%, then work down to 100% from there. So under 100% will cut fuel, and over 100% adds fuel.. For your cranking settings, the pulsewidth temps value should be set to coolant, not MAT.

Try those few things and see what happens. You should see a RPM in your display, and also a pulse width on the gauge in milliseconds while cranking. Is the engine at least trying to fire? It should do something at least..even if the fuel is not set right even. You sure your getting a spark?

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-05-05 05:06 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1033, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 4
Jul-05-05 05:09 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Originally posted by XtremeRS
A few things, dont know if it will help or not though..For your afterstart enrichment, the numbers should be over 100%, meaning 100% adds NO fuel. I think my settings for that start at like 160%, then work down to 100% from there. So under 100% will cut fuel, and over 100% adds fuel.. For your cranking settings, the pulsewidth temps value should be set to coolant, not MAT. Try those few things and see what happens. You should see a RPM in your display, and also a pulse width on the gauge in milliseconds while cranking. Is the engine at least trying to fire? It should do something at least..even if the fuel is not set right even. You sure your getting a spark?

Are you sure.....my afterstart settings are in the 30% range. Cranking is in ms from 12ms down to 5ms. the warmup is in 100% and up. I have the 022i6 code.

Going back to the RPM issue....are you running off the crank signal or cam or tach? Take a volt reading from the bottom of R10 (Resistor is removed, jumper is now in bottom of R10 per the board mods) when cranking......should be in the range of 2v and moving around.

Make sure your board mods are correct. Make sure your setting are perfectly like the setting need to be in Sourceforge.

DO NOT try to measure the resistance of a resistor while it is connected to the board. You can damage other components.

Terry

rs-pssstJul-06-05 01:39 AM
158 posts,
#1034, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-06-05 01:56 AM by rs-pssst

I don't see a pulse width while cranking, only it when the fuel pump primes. Also, while priming I see a tach signal of 2 rpms

I will check that resistance.

I wonder if there could be a ground problem because very often I would get this error message: "Voltage too low for reliable flash burning" when ever I send to ecu. I have a 14 gauge good ground wire going to pin 19 and that is joined to 7,8,9,10. Is that okay or should i use two ground wires?

When soldering the connector, the whole top row is ground right? so i could solder together as many on the top row as I wanted?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-06-05 01:48 AM
8331 posts,
#1035, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by rs-pssst
I don't see a pulse width while cranking, only it when the fuel pump primes. Also, while priming I see a tach signal of 2 rpms I will check that resistance. I wonder if there could be a ground problem because very often I would get this error message: "Voltage too low for reliable flash burning" when ever I send to ecu. When soldering the connector, the whole top row is ground right? so i could solder together as many on the top row as I wanted?

Check voltage NOT resistance. IF your getting that error while trying to reflach the ECU then it sounds like you have a building problem.

When you built the MS did you use the Stimulator to test it? If not i suggest you remove the board mods, return the unti to stock rpm input and test the MS with a stimulator to determine which circuits are faulted.

Terry

rs-pssstJul-06-05 01:57 AM
158 posts,
#1036, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 7

I purchased it from rodney at rs-autosport.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-06-05 10:31 AM
8331 posts,
#1039, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 8

verify you have a good 12v source and ground to the MS and contact rodney so he can warrenty the unit. a low voltage error is most likely going to be a problem with the MS if you have a good 12v source and ground.

You can also check the output of the 5v regulator to verify good voltage as well.

rs-pssstJul-06-05 12:16 PM
158 posts,
#1040, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 9

It runs!!!

Okay, so i figured out the problem with the tach signal. I turns out this MS neeed to be wired to the crank sensor. I was sent the wrong diagram from rodney. That fixed it, the car started up and ran but was pouring fuel out of the exhaust (I have a dump tube) so i turned it off. My req fuel is 8.0 and my VE map looks like ner947's.

btw the right diagram for the www.rs-autosport.com MS neon configured units is at:

basemap for the 024s9 for a slightly tuned neon (supposively some older maps don't load properly into newer code):

http://northtexasneons.org/~antihero/megasquirt/msns-extra-024s9_04.msq

TeamXtremeRSJul-06-05 12:30 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1041, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 10

Dont't know about the After start enrich settings, but i've always had them above 100% I too get the "voltage too low to burn" error, but only with the 024s9 code. 022i6 didn't do that at all..I still think something is just not right with 024s9..that issue is one thing, then the measured dwell time that Nate found out was 15% off as well..I think i'm going to revert back to 022i6 for now and play with that..The car fires up a lot better with 022i6 too.

But anyway, good to hear you got it started. I've seen more than one guy hook up the tach wire instead of the crank signal wire, so dont feel bad

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-07-05 02:41 AM
8331 posts,
#1042, "RE: cranking pulse widths and problems starting"
In response to Reply # 11

Thats odd Matt. Didnt Derek comment he hasnt had any issues with the 24 code? Too many bugs with that code for me.......

Glad to hear you have it wired and running. The older maps wont open in newer code, when they do there is a possability of errors. I have tried to open other maps and end up having to download the code they originated from to view them. Supposedly in the near future there will be a newer code for MT that will convert the older maps to the newer code for you, havent heard any new info on its progress though.

Terry

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1028 Previous topic | Next topic