Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4274
View in linear mode

Subject: "Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"" Previous topic | Next topic
WickedESiJun-22-06 06:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4274, "Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
Jun-22-06 06:01 PM by WickedESi

If someone knows electronics well, and wants to get rich they should build an OBD-II liar majig. What I mean is like a little box with a harness and an OBD-II connector at the end so you can replace yours and make it appear stock, and when those emissions people go to check for any CEL's you win!

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", GSGoinFast, Jun-22-06 06:22 PM, #1
RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", TeamDR1665, Jun-23-06 04:03 AM, #2
      RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-23-06 04:14 AM, #3
           RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-23-06 05:01 AM, #4
           RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", EclipseTenzoR, Jun-23-06 07:44 AM, #5
           RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", QC DSM ESiT, Jun-23-06 07:47 AM, #6
                RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", kain_99gs, Jun-23-06 08:20 AM, #7
           RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", GSGoinFast, Jun-23-06 10:55 AM, #8
                RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", ez, Jun-23-06 02:08 PM, #9
                     RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-25-06 12:16 AM, #10
                          RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", GSGoinFast, Jun-25-06 07:38 AM, #11
                               RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-25-06 09:42 AM, #12
                                    RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", GSGoinFast, Jun-25-06 10:53 AM, #13
                                         RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar", thedawg, Jul-06-06 01:05 PM, #14

GSGoinFastJun-22-06 06:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4275, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by WickedESi
If someone knows electronics well, and wants to get rich they should build an OBD-II liar majig. What I mean is like a little box with a harness and an OBD-II connector at the end so you can replace yours and make it appear stock, and when those emissions people go to check for any CEL's you win!

That would be awesome!

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jun-23-06 04:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4276, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 1

I've been asking about this for a year, now. Not such an easy task, but I hear ya. Something that could say that there are no CELs, the ECU has not been disconnected in the last 100 cycles, etc.. That would be dope.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-23-06 04:14 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4277, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 2

The major problem is that you could never advertise the device. The Govt would have your butt is a sling and hillary clinton would have a strap-on lined up for that sweet butt of yours.

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-23-06 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#4278, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
The major problem is that you could never advertise the device. The Govt would have your butt is a sling and hillary clinton would have a strap-on lined up for that sweet butt of yours.

Exactly. Probably one of these situations where only the person who comes up with the idea has it on their car or only has a few other close friends that he can share the info with. Even at that, the chance of getting caught would not be worth it IMO.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1185

EclipseTenzoRJun-23-06 07:44 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#4279, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 4

I am certain that with alot of work something like this would be do able. I believe it would have to be digital though, something that could loop an output. If I was remotely interested in this I could probaly look into the basis of what exactly would have to be done for this to function. But it's really not worth the time or money because with proper modification your cel shouldnt come on.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

QC DSM ESiTJun-23-06 07:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#4280, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-23-06 07:47 AM by QC DSM ESiT

all this makes me happy that I live in Iowa and don't have to mess with any of the emissions testing

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

kain_99gsJun-23-06 08:20 AM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#4281, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-23-06 08:21 AM by kain_99gs

same. hell. cops don't care that i don't have a front liscence plate either. in the last state i lived in i wouldn't last a day without it.

edit: i live in oregon i think it depends on the county.

GSGoinFastJun-23-06 10:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#4282, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon

Haha then Al Gore would make you watch his Global Warming movie lol... manbearpig

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

ezJun-23-06 02:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#4283, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 8

this is the best idea ever. from now on, it needs a codename though- like e-spank. someone, get on this

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-25-06 12:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4284, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 9

Funny thing is it has been done on a 2g turbo DSM. Now how to market that? Hmm....

MB

GSGoinFastJun-25-06 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#4285, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Funny thing is it has been done on a 2g turbo DSM. Now how to market that? Hmm.... MB

I believe you would market it as "For off-road use only" like every other illegal mod they sell lol

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-25-06 09:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4286, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 11

LOL! Chris, I gotta tell ya, that avatar thingy you got is hilarious. Heh heh.

MB

GSGoinFastJun-25-06 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#4287, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by bullettdsm
LOL! Chris, I gotta tell ya, that avatar thingy you got is hilarious. Heh heh. MB

LoL check the pits, theres a current thread about chuck norris in there, thats where I got it.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

thedawgJul-06-06 01:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4288, "RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar""
In response to Reply # 13

Chuck Norris doesn't have to get smog checks... the smog checks itself.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4274 Previous topic | Next topic