Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectSomebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=4274
4274, Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If someone knows electronics well, and wants to get rich they should build an OBD-II liar majig. What I mean is like a little box with a harness and an OBD-II connector at the end so you can replace yours and make it appear stock, and when those emissions people go to check for any CEL's you win!

:shrug
4275, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by GSGoinFast, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by WickedESi
If someone knows electronics well, and wants to get rich they should build an OBD-II liar majig. What I mean is like a little box with a harness and an OBD-II connector at the end so you can replace yours and make it appear stock, and when those emissions people go to check for any CEL's you win! :shrug

That would be awesome!
4276, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've been asking about this for a year, now. Not such an easy task, but I hear ya. Something that could say that there are no CELs, the ECU has not been disconnected in the last 100 cycles, etc.. That would be dope.
4277, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The major problem is that you could never advertise the device. The Govt would have your butt is a sling and hillary clinton would have a strap-on lined up for that sweet butt of yours.
4278, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
The major problem is that you could never advertise the device. The Govt would have your butt is a sling and hillary clinton would have a strap-on lined up for that sweet butt of yours.

Exactly. Probably one of these situations where only the person who comes up with the idea has it on their car or only has a few other close friends that he can share the info with. Even at that, the chance of getting caught would not be worth it IMO.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1185
4279, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am certain that with alot of work something like this would be do able. I believe it would have to be digital though, something that could loop an output. If I was remotely interested in this I could probaly look into the basis of what exactly would have to be done for this to function. But it's really not worth the time or money because with proper modification your cel shouldnt come on.
4280, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
all this makes me happy that I live in Iowa and don't have to mess with any of the emissions testing }(
4281, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by kain_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
same. hell. cops don't care that i don't have a front liscence plate either. in the last state i lived in i wouldn't last a day without it.

edit: i live in oregon :P i think it depends on the county.

4282, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon

Haha then Al Gore would make you watch his Global Warming movie lol... manbearpig
4283, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
this is the best idea ever. from now on, it needs a codename though- like e-spank. someone, get on this

4284, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Funny thing is it has been done on a 2g turbo DSM. Now how to market that? Hmm....

MB
4285, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Funny thing is it has been done on a 2g turbo DSM. Now how to market that? Hmm.... MB

I believe you would market it as "For off-road use only" like every other illegal mod they sell :shrug lol
4286, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LOL! Chris, I gotta tell ya, that avatar thingy you got is hilarious. Heh heh.

MB
4287, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Originally posted by bullettdsm
LOL! Chris, I gotta tell ya, that avatar thingy you got is hilarious. Heh heh. MB

LoL check the pits, theres a current thread about chuck norris in there, thats where I got it.
4288, RE: Somebody Should Build an OBD-II "Liar"
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Chuck Norris doesn't have to get smog checks... the smog checks itself.
I generated this page in 0.0084609985351562 seconds, executing 7 queries.