Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132429
View in linear mode

Subject: "extreme temp threadlocker" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCNov-24-10 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132429, "extreme temp threadlocker"
Nov-24-10 01:43 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

so I wanted to get some advice. I've searched the net for threadlocker that WON'T fail or that is rated to withstand temps that are around that of a turbo hotside, turbo mani or cylinder head threads. Loctite and permatex, from what i've been able to find, only have products that can withstand 450-500 degrees. I need something around 900+ (or whatever wont fail with turbo related heat ranges).

I've seen just ONE, but it looks like the label was made by a 12 year old and I don't wanna spend money on what i don't know works: http://www.034motorsport.com/fluids-chemicals-extreme-temp-thread-locker-turbo-rated-p-609.html

these are the other two that just won't do:

1. Permatex (available at most auto part stores): http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PERMATEX-Threadlocker-3DPK6?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Adhesives,%20Sealants%20and%20Tape-_-Thread%20and%20Gasket%20Sealants-_-3DPK6

2. Loctite (same): http://www.restockit.com/0-5ml-threadlocker-262-permanent-(442-26205).html?source=froogle&Bvar5=100F1&Bvar6=100F1&Bvar7=100F1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparisonshopping

^^^sorry for the broken link^^^

My goal: A permenant solution for head, mani, and downpipe bolts from vibrating loose...

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Ebster1085, Nov-24-10 05:36 PM, #1
RE: extreme temp threadlocker, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-24-10 07:07 PM, #2
      RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Teamdougie2, Nov-25-10 09:23 AM, #3
           RE: extreme temp threadlocker, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-25-10 12:54 PM, #4
                RE: extreme temp threadlocker, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-25-10 02:45 PM, #5
                     RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-25-10 03:16 PM, #6
                          RE: extreme temp threadlocker, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-25-10 04:27 PM, #7
                               RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Ebster1085, Nov-25-10 08:27 PM, #8
                                    RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Teamdougie2, Nov-26-10 12:58 AM, #9
                                         RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-26-10 03:52 AM, #10
                                              RE: extreme temp threadlocker, Teamdougie2, Nov-26-10 12:59 PM, #11
                                                   RE: extreme temp threadlocker, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-26-10 09:25 PM, #12
                                                        RE: extreme temp threadlocker, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-27-10 10:16 AM, #13

Ebster1085Nov-24-10 05:36 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132430, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 0

No personal experience with that 034Motorsports high temp thread locker, but from what I have heard, they are a good company and make quality products.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCNov-24-10 07:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132433, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Ebster1085
No personal experience with that 034Motorsports high temp thread locker, but from what I have heard, they are a good company and make quality products.

i would agree with that. But when it comes to comparing the products that 034 makes with permatex & loctite, I would think they'd fall short. If loctite/perm. doesnt have a product on their line that does this, what would lead me to believe little old 034 would?

loctite/perm. does this type of thing for a living and they dont have anything like this, but 034 does? i dont want an "if" product. skeptical...

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Teamdougie2Nov-25-10 09:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#132434, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 2

The solution to your problem is not liquid thread locker. You need to use lock washers or all turbo system fasteners and torque them down real good.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

AdministratorCODE4Nov-25-10 12:54 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#132437, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 3

Agreed. Ustilize mechanical means to keep the fasteners secured. Mcmaster has an assortment.

---

2012 2500HD LML

420agreenvilleSCNov-25-10 02:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132440, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by CODE4
Agreed. Ustilize mechanical means to keep the fasteners secured. Mcmaster has an assortment.

Thanks ya'll. Ill do that. I don't know what works best, can u tell me?

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-25-10 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#132443, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 5

Ironically, I use anti-seize with my turbo bolts, lol. I also use the correct grade bolts (I got no idea what grade for exhaust - I'm sure smarty pants Dave would know ) with washers.

Whether I need the anti-seize or not has been debated (some say it burns off etc.), but what I do know, through all the theory, is that it works. 'Nuff said for me.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCNov-25-10 04:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132447, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 6

what anti-seize do u use mark

Ebster1085Nov-25-10 08:27 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#132451, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 7

I have also always used antisieze in conjunction with lock washers.

Teamdougie2Nov-26-10 12:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#132453, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-26-10 01:02 AM by dougie2

No need to order some regular old lock washers online from Mcmaster... just run down to your local auto parts store and buy them. If they don't have them listed for metric then get the standard equivalent size.

I also use anti-seize on all turbo system fasteners, ALWAYS. You can also get this shit at the parts store. I like the nickel stuff myself, but any type you get will work just fine. The copper will conduct electricity, for battery terminals and so forth. You can even pick up a small packet for spark plugs at the checkout lane for about a buck.

Anti-seize does not just burn off, that's ridiculous. Haha! Hell, the nickel shit that I'm using is rated to 2600 degrees! Now, the grease that makes up the base will smoke at first for a few minutes and eventually burn away... but the graphite, aluminum and nickel will remain on the threads and serve it's purpose.

Doug

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-26-10 03:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#132454, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by dougie2
Anti-seize does not just burn off, that's ridiculous.

Yeah try explaining that to the lawyer trolls out there. They got a theory on everything. You know the ones that tell you all day long about how to do something, but have never done any of it before

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Teamdougie2Nov-26-10 12:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#132456, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by dougie2 Anti-seize does not just burn off, that's ridiculous.
Yeah try explaining that to the lawyer trolls out there. They got a theory on everything. You know the ones that tell you all day long about how to do something, but have never done any of it before

Tell me about it Mark, it seems like there's more and more of those guys that I meet every day. I think the internet plays a large part in that. If they read it somewhere on a message forum then it must be true!

Anyway, ANTI-SEIZE FTMFW! Haha!

Doug

420agreenvilleSCNov-26-10 09:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132462, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 11

thanks for the insight doug. will do all that was discussed in here. good info. thanks everyone

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-27-10 10:16 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#132465, "RE: extreme temp threadlocker"
In response to Reply # 12

You can always safety wire them.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132429 Previous topic | Next topic