Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51834
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alternator might be bad...." Previous topic | Next topic
Nitrous_RS1997May-25-03 03:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51834, "Alternator might be bad...."

On the way home yesterday from the Lenanon, TN car show, my battery light came on. i had noticed the car seemed a little "sluggish" throughout the day...anyway, i got it home, parked it and went to bed. i just went out there to mess with it. checked the battery voltage before i cranked it, 12.5 volts. cranked the car, checked the volts at the battery again, and it held steady at 17.X volts. that seems a weeeee bit high to me. add into that that im getting codes 41 and 46, and my fuel pump sounds "weird", like its much more high pitched and sounding strained. i know this is almost certainly my alternator going bad...but is there anyway i can check to see if its just the harness? or i guess it could also possibly be the belt? thanks for any opinions.

www.TeamKLR.com
1997 Silver RS
Wiseco 10.5 Pistons
Eagle Rods
T3/T4 Turbo
Custom FMIC
Greddy Exhaust
440's

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SPL_EclipseMay-26-03 05:49 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51897, "RE: Alternator might be bad...."
In response to Reply # 0

LOL....ya 17 volts is a tad bit high. all kinds of strange things can happen when an alternator starts to fail. its not a harness or anything. if somthing had shorted there would be either a fire of no charge whatsoever. a higher-than-normal voltage is really strange, and my guess is that the voltage regulator is fried. more than likly you have guessed correctly, its time for a new one. do a search for alternator replacment writeups, theres a good one here somwhere.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xEclipsE RaceRxMay-27-03 06:50 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#51995, "RE: Alternator might be bad...."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry off topic, but Rs1997 where about in TN do you live? Im in Nashville

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

My9t5TalonMay-28-03 06:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
963 posts,
#52056, "RE: Alternator might be bad...."
In response to Reply # 2

could you guys please point me to what the battery should be reading, I think I'm having some troubles too...not sure what it should be when off, and when the engine is running, and when it's running with a load...thanx!

William 'Tha.Will' McGroarty

~*Roary*~
Sick Skillz

DSMRoadsterMay-28-03 09:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#52068, "RE: Alternator might be bad...."
In response to Reply # 3

with the engine on about 11.XX and with the engine running it should be about 13.2.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51834 Previous topic | Next topic