Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectAlternator might be bad....
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=51834
51834, Alternator might be bad....
Posted by Nitrous_RS1997, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
On the way home yesterday from the Lenanon, TN car show, my battery light came on. i had noticed the car seemed a little "sluggish" throughout the day...anyway, i got it home, parked it and went to bed. i just went out there to mess with it. checked the battery voltage before i cranked it, 12.5 volts. cranked the car, checked the volts at the battery again, and it held steady at 17.X volts. that seems a weeeee bit high to me. add into that that im getting codes 41 and 46, and my fuel pump sounds "weird", like its much more high pitched and sounding strained. i know this is almost certainly my alternator going bad...but is there anyway i can check to see if its just the harness? or i guess it could also possibly be the belt? thanks for any opinions.

www.TeamKLR.com
1997 Silver RS
Wiseco 10.5 Pistons
Eagle Rods
T3/T4 Turbo
Custom FMIC
Greddy Exhaust
440's
51897, RE: Alternator might be bad....
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LOL....ya 17 volts is a tad bit high. all kinds of strange things can happen when an alternator starts to fail. its not a harness or anything. if somthing had shorted there would be either a fire of no charge whatsoever. a higher-than-normal voltage is really strange, and my guess is that the voltage regulator is fried. more than likly you have guessed correctly, its time for a new one. do a search for alternator replacment writeups, theres a good one here somwhere.
51995, RE: Alternator might be bad....
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry off topic, but Rs1997 where about in TN do you live? Im in Nashville

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/
52056, RE: Alternator might be bad....
Posted by My9t5Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
could you guys please point me to what the battery should be reading, I think I'm having some troubles too...not sure what it should be when off, and when the engine is running, and when it's running with a load...thanx!
52068, RE: Alternator might be bad....
Posted by DSMRoadster, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
with the engine on about 11.XX and with the engine running it should be about 13.2.
I generated this page in 0.010872840881348 seconds, executing 7 queries.