Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #111828
View in linear mode

Subject: "sputter?" Previous topic | Next topic
keislijDec-12-08 12:39 AM
Member since Nov 26th 2008
46 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#111828, "sputter?"

So the other day i was driving my car, the battery died that day, (has a small drain) anyway i jumped it, and all was well. then i started driving on the highway. and the car would literally feel like it was getting a fuel shortage (felt like missing almost) around 2600-3200 rpms, that whole range. so i get to work and decide that to be safe i would disconnect the neg battery cable so i dont get stranded. then on the way home it ran like a champ. But yesterday i decided to take out the stereo so i disconnected the Neg battery cable and then drove to work today and it sputtered again. so i did what fixed it last time and disconnected it. and it worked.

What do you think may be causing this???

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: sputter?, halfasss101, Dec-12-08 03:04 AM, #1
RE: sputter?, mreigle, Dec-12-08 03:18 AM, #2
      RE: sputter?, keislij, Dec-12-08 02:51 PM, #3
           RE: sputter?, dalesmitsu, Dec-12-08 08:36 PM, #4
                RE: sputter?, keislij, Dec-13-08 01:43 AM, #5
                     RE: sputter?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-13-08 02:49 AM, #6
                          RE: sputter?, halfasss101, Dec-13-08 02:36 PM, #7
                               RE: sputter?, keislij, Dec-13-08 03:00 PM, #8
Same issue, BKBroila, Dec-14-08 03:31 PM, #9
RE: Same issue, keislij, Dec-15-08 12:30 AM, #10
RE: Same issue, BKBroila, Dec-15-08 04:03 PM, #11
      RE: Same issue, keislij, Dec-16-08 12:02 AM, #12
           RE: Same issue, BKBroila, Dec-16-08 12:44 PM, #14
                RE: Same issue, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-16-08 01:39 PM, #15
                     RE: Same issue, BKBroila, Dec-16-08 02:29 PM, #16
RE: Same issue, TeamDR1665, Dec-16-08 11:20 AM, #13
      RE: Same issue, keislij, Jan-07-09 01:52 PM, #17

halfasss101Dec-12-08 03:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#111829, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 0

Any check engine light?

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mreigleDec-12-08 03:18 AM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
#111830, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 1

Our cars love a full charge on the battery and lots of cranking amps. If you have a parasitic drain on your batery then you will have issues until you fix the drain and replace the battery if needed.

keislijDec-12-08 02:51 PM
46 posts,
#111831, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 2

i was getting the P0401. I replaced the EGR and cleared codes, havent had a CEL for awhile but i did get one last night. I'm not exactly sure which, i dont have an OBD handy

dalesmitsuDec-12-08 08:36 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#111832, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by keislij
i was getting the P0401. I replaced the EGR and cleared codes, havent had a CEL for awhile but i did get one last night. I'm not exactly sure which, i dont have an OBD handy

Hows your grounds, IAC IAT fuel pump, something might be dirty

keislijDec-13-08 01:43 AM
46 posts,
#111833, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 4

i havent checked grounds iac or iat, fuel pump was just replaced what could i do about grounds??

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-13-08 02:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#111834, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by keislij
fuel pump was just replaced

ding ding ding! Newly installed part and then you start having issues? Well, that would be a good place to start... Esp since you said it's sputtering like it has NO FUEL. lol

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

halfasss101Dec-13-08 02:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#111835, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 6

try to get ahold of that OBD scanner and get the code and check the code under the DTC chart on here

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

keislijDec-13-08 03:00 PM
46 posts,
#111836, "RE: sputter?"
In response to Reply # 7

ha good point eclipz. and i'll get the obd on monday.

BKBroilaDec-14-08 03:31 PM
Member since May 09th 2008
5 posts,
#111837, "Same issue"
In response to Reply # 0

I have the exact same issue. cant figure it out. somedays its fine, some not too fine. today i drove about 15 miles it sputtered the whole way... in november i changed my spark plugs and ignition coil, it seemed to run fine for about two weeks then fell on its face again, probably coincedence.

I have noticed that when i shift or rev the engine the RPMs bounce really fast.

keislijDec-15-08 12:30 AM
46 posts,
#111838, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 9

does yours throw a code?

BKBroilaDec-15-08 04:03 PM
5 posts,
#111839, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 10

Yea. i dont remember the actrual codes its been awhile, but there was two for misfire and a speed monitoring device (im guessing speedomiter, it never has worked properly). I'll take it for diagnostics again tomorrow, ill get back to you.

keislijDec-16-08 12:02 AM
46 posts,
#111840, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 11

ok sweet ill do the same. curious if its same problem

BKBroilaDec-16-08 12:44 PM
5 posts,
#111841, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 12

p0352 - misfire - ignition coil???
p0500 - VSS - (speedometer)
p1391 - misfire - read on another site it was a "loss of CAS signal"

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-16-08 01:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#111842, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 14

Hmm....you may want to check the wires around the egr tube (though its not quite matching with the vss and no egr code). The intermitten thing can be a melted/broken wire.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

BKBroilaDec-16-08 02:29 PM
5 posts,
#111843, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 15

Funny that you mention EGR.. When i pressure checked for a boost leak, it never held pressure. it all leaked out from the EGR valve. I dont know if thats normal or not, i've never pressure tested before and i was told from a friend that the system should hold pressure ???

TeamDR1665Dec-16-08 11:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#111844, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by BKBroila
I have the exact same issue. cant figure it out. somedays its fine, some not too fine. today i drove about 15 miles it sputtered the whole way... in november i changed my spark plugs and ignition coil, it seemed to run fine for about two weeks then fell on its face again, probably coincedence. I have noticed that when i shift or rev the engine the RPMs bounce really fast.

Sounds like you need to replace the plug wires. Let me guess: If you're really easy on the throttle and baby the car, you can kinda keep it from happening, but if you try to drive like normal and give it more than just a little gas, it starts cutting out, sounding kinda like a Harley? More often than not, that's bad plugs or wires on these cars.

If you're not heavily modified, I would HIGHLY suggest getting the Bosch replacements at Autozone for the simple reason that they come with a lifetime warranty. Next time this happens, you limp the car to Autozone, pull the wires, and they give you a new set. If the problem persists at that point, you know you have other fish to fry.

Good luck.

keislijJan-07-09 01:52 PM
46 posts,
#123464, "RE: Same issue"
In response to Reply # 13

Kinda bringing back a dead thread, but with the help of Dino i found the problem, Did the key dance and got a code 32. Which is the egr solenoid is faulty. i have one on the way and hopefully it will fix the problem. (im tired of getting 275 mpg to a tank.)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #111828 Previous topic | Next topic